Author Topic: Should our foreign policy be one of isolationism ?  (Read 1509 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Should our foreign policy be one of isolationism ?
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:40:53 PM »
  We live in a very unstable world.  We have sworn enemies who would like nothing better than to destroy we, the "great Satan".  They already tried once on 9/11; should we hide our collective heads in the sand ?  Now, this irrational & fanatical sworn enemy is mass producing cruise missles.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

AFP:   Breaking  |  World  |  US  |  Politics  |  Business  |  Entertainment  |  Life  |  Science Odd  |  Sports     Iran mass producing anti-ship cruise missile: TV Feb 4 07:50 AM US/Eastern
 Comments (0) Email to a friend Share on Facebook Tweet this       
 An Iranian warship fires a Mehrab missile during naval wargames in the Stra...

Iran has begun mass production of an anti-ship cruise missile, state television's website said on Saturday. The Zafar missile, as it is dubbed in the report, "is a short-range, anti-ship cruise missile capable of destroying small- and medium-sized targets with high precision." It can be mounted on speed boats and other light vessels, can withstand electronic warfare, and is able to fly in low altitudes to avoid detection, the report said. Iran has a fleet of speed boats that often challenge US and allied warships in the Gulf. The vessels are usually controlled by the elite Revolutionary Guards and can be equipped with missiles. The Islamic republic says it has a wide range of missiles. It says some are capable of striking targets inside Israel as well as Middle Eastern military bases of its other main archfoe, the United States. Tehran regularly boasts about developing missiles having substantial range and capabilities, but Western military experts cast doubt on its claims. Iran's military said in January that it could close the strategic Strait of Hormuz in the Gulf, through which a third of global marine oil traffic passes, if it is attacked. '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''     Cruise missles can be launched from any decent sized craft..from a disguised fishing boat or freighter, to a full blown warship.  Cruise type missles can also be nuclear armed....and remember Iranian officials have already annopunced their intentions of cruising their fleet immediately off our coast...and remember,  the crazies over there are looking to start a worldwide conflict for their "12th mahdi".
     Can we afford the luxury of ignoring Iran's inexhorable drive for world domination ?  Didn't the world try that once before, in the 1930s ?  Didn't that fanatic regime have for it's motivating force, a hatred of the Jews ?  Can we recall Neville Chamberlain, waving a piece of paper and declaring, " peace for our time".

Does Israel have a legitimate reason to be concerned..and possibly to react strongly ?
   http://www.wnd.com/2012/02/ayatollah-kill-all-jews-annihilate-israel/
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Should our foreign policy be one of isolationism ?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 12:08:16 AM »
Should our foreign policy be one of isolationism ?

Donno......it hasn't been tried. And I don 't know of anyone who is advocating it.....less military enforced capitalism, but not isolationism.
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 12:36:44 AM »
We live in a very unstable world.  We have sworn enemies who would like nothing better than to destroy we, the "great Satan".
We've done Iran a lot more damage than Iran has ever done us.
They already tried once on 9/11; should we hide our collective heads in the sand ?
whaaat?
Now, this irrational & fanatical sworn enemy is mass producing cruise missles.
Well, lots of counties produce cruise missiles. Should Iran ask 'Mother May I' before building their own, instead of paying up to Boeing or Aerospitaile or whoever?
Iran has begun mass production of an anti-ship cruise missile, state television's website said on Saturday. The Zafar missile, as it is dubbed in the report, "is a short-range, anti-ship cruise missile capable of destroying small- and medium-sized targets with high precision."
yawwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnn....
It can be mounted on speed boats and other light vessels, can withstand electronic warfare, and is able to fly in low altitudes to avoid detection, the report said.
Sounds sort of like the IDF Navy's Gabriel from... 20 years ago. Don't a bunch of navies have these things?
Cruise missles can be launched from any decent sized craft..from a disguised fishing boat or freighter, to a full blown warship.  Cruise type missles can also be nuclear armed....and remember Iranian officials have already annopunced their intentions of cruising their fleet immediately off our coast
OH MY GOD - the Iranians are coming, the Iranians are coming!!!
Can we afford the luxury of ignoring Iran's inexhorable drive for world domination ? 
Oh, no..WORLD DOMINATION!
Man... where do you get this hysterical offal?
http://www.wnd.com/2012/02/ayatollah-kill-all-jews-annihilate-israel/

Oh... that's where! Well, that explains the breathless hysteria... !
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 05:29:53 AM »
I am not convinced that Iran is a threat to the US. Let other countries worry about Iran. Besides if they provoked some of their neighbors they would do a far better job of permanently neutering Iran than the US ever would.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 05:36:23 AM »
The expansion doctrine worked better than police actions ever have  ;)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 06:15:11 AM »
When your country is essentially Bankrupt how can you afford any policy but one of Isolationism?
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 06:44:33 AM »
Depends on the definition of Isolationism! Should we take care of the good old USA and let the rest of the world take care of theirs? I think yes! Should we halt (all) immigration until we stabilize our economy? I say yes.  We are no longer in the growing process as a nation. We are in the rebuilding a ravished nation process. We don't need to add more to the equation.We can't seem to get a handle on problems facing America, why do we insist on governing others?

If not policing the world makes us isolationists then I'm all for it.
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline powderman

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 07:28:31 AM »
Right now iran is only a threat to her neighbors and the free flow of traffic through the gulf. If  they aquire nuclear weapons they will be a threat to the entire world. They breed and train killers to spread terror around the world and they are ruled by a lunatic. A direct threat?? No, but a real threat anyway you look at it. POWDERMAN.  :o :o
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 09:10:10 AM »
If we isolate ourselves, it might bite us in the butt when it comes to trade with other nations.
europe, asia, the middle east, they don't need us.
plus, when Israel has to resort to nukes after they are attacked by the entire middle east, the fallout will affect a lot of innocent people.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Lost Farmboy

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 10:45:05 AM »
They already tried once on 9/11; should we hide our collective heads in the sand ?

Where is one shred of evidence Iran was responsible for 911? Our collective heads are already in the sand.
A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.   John F. Kennedy

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" -Ronald Reagan

“So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause.”  Padme Amidala

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 11:42:58 AM »
Isolationism has little to do with trade relations.
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline Heather

• GBO Supporter
    • mymartialartsplus.com
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 12:04:53 PM »
  Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations -- entangling alliances with none.
 I've heard something like that somewhere before...hmmmm.  ::)

Heather
Strive for complete serenity in all aspects of life.
www.mymartialartsplus.com

A closed mind is often closed to the truth!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and loose both...Ben Franklin

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 12:49:52 PM »

Somebody needs to go back too 9th grade world history class.

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 02:43:53 PM »
  Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations -- entangling alliances with none.
Heather

Did you hear it from an Libby Dem muslim lover & America hater?
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 02:48:56 PM »
Heather

Probably not. That wisdom is way over his head. This sounds like Thomas Jefferson to me.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 02:50:30 PM »
Heather

Not hardly!  ;D

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 03:23:38 PM »
Right now iran is only a threat to her neighbors and the free flow of traffic through the gulf. If  they aquire nuclear weapons they will be a threat to the entire world. They breed and train killers to spread terror around the world and they are ruled by a lunatic. A direct threat?? No, but a real threat anyway you look at it. POWDERMAN.  :o :o

WHERE IS YOUR PROOF? Put up or shut up!

Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 03:32:54 PM »
Some here are just like those in this video

― Albert Einstein

Offline powderman

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 03:42:31 PM »
MATT. I assume that you do not read a paper or watch the news?? POWDERMAN.  ??? ???
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 03:57:30 PM »
MATT. I assume that you do not read a paper or watch the news?? POWDERMAN.  ??? ???

Yes I do. I just do not fall for all the propaganda that it is full of.

I want you to list off some of the Iranian Terrorist Attacks for me. I have researched and look for some and find only 1 that I consider could be an ITA  and still not sure about it.

You have about as much knowledge of Iran as I do of Brain Surgery.

― Albert Einstein

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 04:06:57 PM »
Just so you folks understand I am getting really tired of every topic  degrading into a "We have to Attack Iran" rant. I have an idea, if you are so damn intent on killing the Iranians then fly your ass over there and kill you some... But don't cry if you get yours shot too.

What part of ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL do you not get? It does not say ALL MEN ON THIS HERE CHUNK OF DIRT or any other perversion of the original. I am sick and tired of all the hypocrisy here on GBO. So many of you preach about how devote you are but yet advocate war and murder. No wonder this country has went to hell in a hand basket when this is the "Moral People" of this country.

Matt
― Albert Einstein

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 04:23:50 PM »
I'll take a risk and guess that Matt does. Your problem, Powderman, is that you put waaaaay too much stock in the kind of outlets that inspired that blond-haired, blue-eyed Norwegian killer who hated Muslims and wanted to protect his country and Europe from 'Satan's Disciples' (that's what you call Muslims, right?)

Offline powderman

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 05:04:02 PM »
MATT. I definitely do NOT want war with iran or anybody else for that matter. It's been known that iran trains killers used against Americans and has been a major supplier of arms and munitions to the terrorists in iraq and afghanistan, and are responsible for the deaths of a lot of Americans. It's a matter of time til the iranian moron tries to make good on one of his many threats. I definitely don't have all the answers but if that crazy idiot gets a nuke, he will use it. POWDERMAN.  :o :o

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 05:11:02 PM »
MATT. I definitely do NOT want war with iran or anybody else for that matter. It's been known that iran trains killers used against Americans and has been a major supplier of arms and munitions to the terrorists in iraq and afghanistan, and are responsible for the deaths of a lot of Americans. It's a matter of time til the iranian moron tries to make good on one of his many threats. I definitely don't have all the answers but if that crazy idiot gets a nuke, he will use it. POWDERMAN.  :o :o

YOU HAVE NO PROOF OF WHAT YOU SAY. YOU ONLY REPEAT WHAT YOU HEAR.  Get a clue and RESEARCH IT FOR YOURSELF.
― Albert Einstein

Offline blind ear

• eddiegjr
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 05:12:11 PM »
Your lead line and your subject have nothing to do with one another. Sounds like a bait and switch commercial.
Oath Keepers: start local
-
“It is no coincidence that the century of total war coincided with the century of central banking.” – Ron Paul, End the Fed
-
An economic crash like the one of the 1920s is the only thing that will get the US off of the road to Socialism that we are on and give our children a chance at a future with freedom and possibility of economic success.
-
everyone hears but very few see. (I can't see either, I'm not on the corporate board making rules that sound exactly the opposite of what they mean, plus loopholes) ear
"I have seen the enemy and I think it's us." POGO
St Judes Childrens Research Hospital

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
  Some answers to some statements..;

"Isolationism hasn't been tried".   Isolationism WAS tried in the 1930s..WW2 was in the 1940s.

"  that inspired that blond-haired, blue-eyed Norwegian killer".  Highlight a solitary norweigan killer..while ignoring a Million Muslim assassins, liberal liogic for sure.

"  I am getting really tired of every topic  degrading into a "We have to Attack Iran" rant. I have an idea, if you are so damn intent on killing the Iranians then fly your ass over there and kill you some... But don't cry if you get yours shot too."  Where was the "attack Iran" rant ? I surely didn't say that, but being on guard refusing to disarm when we are dealing with a sworn enemy... just may not be a bad idea.

" They already tried once on 9/11; should we hide our collective heads in the sand ?"   The attackers were 100% Muslim, and by failing to see or understand the global Islamic threat, your head HAS to be firmly planted in the agregate.  They tried it before, until Charles Martel stopped them at Tours, in 732..now they are on the march again.

" I want you to list off some of the Iranian Terrorist Attacks for me."  I guess we could start with the attack on and American soveriegn territory (namely the embassy building in Teheran)..the holding as prisoners the entire diplomatic corps and numerous military personnel.  We could also consider the 'made in Iran' IEDs which have killed many American troops..and NOT in Iran.
Of course, one could deny the IEDs are made in Iran, but MI says they are made in iran..depends who you believe, the US military or Iranian propaganda.

" Did you hear it from an Libby Dem muslim lover & America hater?"   No, not that, but you should hear & read some of the crap the Libby Dem muslim lover & hate America crowd ARE putting out!  ;)   :D .

" OH MY GOD - the Iranians are coming, the Iranians are coming!!!  ..And Neville Chamberlain ridiculed nervous Europeans who thought.. 'the Nazis are coming'.

" What part of ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL do you not get?" Indeed, all men are created equal..but what happens to them after that point is a product of environment, parental guidance and personal choices, likely as not..Jack the Ripper, Dracula and the Green river killer were created equal with the rest of us .

" Reza Kahlili is a pseudonym for a former CIA operative in Iran’s Revolutionary Guard and author of the award-winning book, “A Time to Betray.” He is a senior fellow with EMPact America and teaches>> at the U.S. Department of Defense’s Joint Counterintelligence Training Academy.   Careful TM..you're giving the man a lot of credibility! ;)   ;D

" We've done Iran a lot more damage than Iran has ever done us."  Not really, but if they try to block passage in international waters of the straits of Hormuz.....

"  Sounds sort of like the IDF Navy's Gabriel from... 20 years ago. Don't a bunch of navies have these things"  They sure do, but those navies are not run by a bunch of crazy ayatollahs, bent of effecting their "12th Imam's" plan on world destruction.

http://www.wnd.com/2012/02/ayatollah-kill-all-jews-annihilate-israel/  " Oh... that's where! Well, that explains the breathless hysteria... !"   And many laughed when "Mein Kampf" was first published... Many short sighted scoffers, that is !   

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 06:10:38 PM »

Isolationism WAS tried in the 1930s..WW2 was in the 1940s.

That statement is blatantly false. The United states engaged in trade with many countries during that time and before. But then maybe you are trying to redefine "isolationism". Redefining is a very common tactic of the left when they can't make a real argument.

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 12:55:26 AM »

Somebody needs to go back too 9th grade world history class.

Geez... Look here's how an Ideal Isolationism would work idealy.  Quit policing the world is the first step.  Manufacture goods and surpluses here in the country.  Rely on our own oil, natural gas and other power sources and reserves.  Rely on our own crop production and food reserves. 

SELL OFF SURPLUS AS EXPORT for added revenue.  IMPORT goods that are not available to us.  You don't have to cut yourself compeltely out of the map.  Just be as self reliant as possible. 

If your country is 15 TRILLION dollars in debt, you can't afford to be the world police anymore.  You can't afford to engage in meaningless wars that have no end and you can't afford to supply foriegn aid to country's that are not experiencing extenuating circumstances such as natural disasters. 

Cut out excess spending, get your finances back in order and then the next thing you know you can do whatever you want because you have a surplus of cash flow.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 01:22:16 AM »
not many read the paper anymore, but most watch the news, and all over the news was the iran ayatollah saying that they were gonna get Israel and the USA.
but when Ron Paul denies it, his followers fall right in line without question.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2012, 02:37:37 AM »
The problem in its simplest form is America Govt. wants to influence others and in doing so has this unfounded idea that all other peoples on the earth wish to be like Americans . This just ain't so. Obama must sense this as his plan seems to be to make America more like the other countries of the world .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !