Author Topic: Scope for 17 HMR  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Scope for 17 HMR
« on: February 06, 2012, 09:51:54 AM »
Ok gents, dumb question for you if you dont' mind.

I put a Leupold 3x9 on the 17hmr and head off to the range fat dumb and happy. 
The only range available was the 50 yd range.
The crosshairs are crystal clear when held on a cloud, the sky, etc.
On the 50 yd range, the target center is blurred.
The areas outside the target center are fairly clear, but where the cross hairs intersect, the target is blurry.

Is this due to the parallax setting being >50 yds? Or is something wrong.

I figured I could easily sight in with a 9x scope at 50 yards without getting a blurry target.  (?)

What's the best scope for the 17 hmr for use from ~ 50 to 150 yards?

Thanks!!!

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
Re: Scope for 17 HMR
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 10:30:41 AM »
Kind of hard to reply with much accuracy without knowing which Leupold 3-9 we're talking about (most likely a Rifleman, VX-I or II with fixed objective).

Some general notes though... scopes without an adjustable objective will have a specific range they are set to be parallax free at, and for closer ranges for rimfire scopes than those intended for centerfire.    Generally further away is not a problem with these scopes, but as the range gets closer they get progressively more out of focus.   You may or may not be able to get enough adjustment out of the ocular eyepiece to get them in focus for your eyes at shorter ranges, but that's not conducive anyway for freely shooting at all your ranges.

Since the 17HMR is capable of way past your 150 yards, an AO variable power scope that will adjust down to your shortest ranges shot is the way to go.   Matters not whether a rimfire or centerfire scope although the latter will probably be a higher quality scopes.

On my 17HMR and 17HM2 carbines/rifles I've used 4-12, 4-16, 4.5-16, 5.5-16, 12X and 15X scopes, all of them not rimfire scopes, all of them with adjustable objectives and all of them target scopes with fine or fine dot reticles.    All would adjust down to my shortest ranges or out to the longest with just the AO once I had adjusted the ocular to my eye.   I only seldom shot them at 50 yards or less though.

FWIW-YMMV

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Stuart C.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 11:04:36 AM »
Thanks.
It is a Vari X II 3x9 fixed objective.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 03:35:01 PM »
The answer is that the parallax is set at 150yards I believe, could be wrong.
Having the same issue with a Leupi 4x12x50 on my 243.  I like to site in at 25 and then again at 100.  I can only use 4x at 25 and up to 6x at 50.  Anymore power and it gets blurry.

I had the same problem though with my 17HMR...put a weaver classic V 4x12x40AO on it....fixed!  Another alternative for a rimfire would be a weaver rimfire 3x9AO...not a cheap scope by any means....have one on my 22lr.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Ladobe

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 09:47:18 PM »
150 yards sounds right for the parallax setting on the fixed objective 3-9 Leupold.   Why at the short ranges you get blurr (probably some even at the lowest power).   Fine tuning the ocular doesn't change parallax, but it may help with the blurring at close range if you have the reticle sharp.   Probably better to buy a scope designed for the ranges you shoot your 17 Hummer at.   Not a fan of BSA, but their Sweet 17 for the 17HMR would probably be the perefect match for your less than 50 to 150 yard uses.   Over that I'd go with the one I did below (that can be bought quite cheaply BTW).

My favorite 17HMR carbine  with my favorite 17HMR scope.   The Weaver KT-15 Target scolpe was good to go with clear focus from well under 50 to well over 350 yards with its AO on this Hummer.   Up close enough on jacks and predators I only saw fur, but it was in focus.    ;)     These little Beldings were some of those shot out the truck window at 150-220 yards first time out with it
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Stuart C.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 02:24:26 AM »
Thanks all.  I might save up for a new one but might just leave this on it because I have it and I rarely shoot it at 50 anyway. 

Or Ladobe feel free to lend me that fiddleback maple tc for a year or so, you know, just so I can show it off I mean, get the feel for th e scope and all.  ;D

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 03:03:37 AM »
Ladobe....that is a GORGEOUS gun! ;)

I use an accurized Ruger 77/17...looks plain jane but ..... 8)
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Ladobe

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 06:57:59 AM »
Dougv - My mid 80's 77/22 is a switch barrel - 22LR & 17HM2.   I've seen/shot lots of 17HMR's and 17HM2's that were tack drivers (but none could outshoot this carbine).

Stuart - It's not fiddleback maple.... rather much rarer spalted fiddleback oak, heavy as sin (another member here now owns the carbine - doubt he'd loan it out).   Do have 3 exhibition grade 100% fiddleback maple stock blanks I never got around to using though.   ;)

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 08:58:29 AM »
If you don't want to spend big bucks you might consider the Meullar 4-14 AO.  It is a pretty good match for the .17 HMR, in my humble opinion.

Offline saltydog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 06:42:46 AM »
Using the 3x9 scope on your 17 is a good combination. I use a 2.5x10 on one of mine and a 2x7 on the other. If your scope is in good mechanical condition then it sounds like it could be a focus problem and using too much magnification at 50 yards. Refocus your scopes crosshairs so they are clear as per Leupolds recommendations. Then go back to 50 yards and at 3 or 4 power and check the focus. Using high magnification at close range enhances parallex - focus issues. If it will not focus it may have to go back to Leuold for service.

Offline DannoBoone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 09:33:36 AM »
I have a Bushnell Trophy 3-9 on a Marlin 17hmr, with no problems @ 50yds. But
I believe the parallax is set at 100yds on those scopes. Have you tried getting in
touch with Leupold to see if blurring at 50yds is normal for your scope? If not,
they jest might make you a happy camper!
We need to change our politicians
like we do dirty diapers.............
for the same reason.

Offline atitagain

• Trade Count: (67)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 01:33:25 PM »
If you are using a fixed objective scope, you may have to use your focus ring to cure the blurred image.   
On my .17. I use a BSA Contender 8-32X 40 with sunshade. It really brings in the little varmints and target dot in at long ranges. It also has an A.O. which helps.
I carry a single shot.
'cause it only takes one shot.

Offline Joe S.

• Trade Count: (30)
  • A Real Regular
  • The poisonous mushroom!
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 06:00:11 PM »
Not a fan of BSA or adjustable objective scopes typically but i have a 3-12 sweet 17 on my Marlin 17hmr and its a nice fit. Def not a high end scope and not real bright but it serves its purpose til i can do better. Id recomend the Mueller over the BSA if you are wanting to stay budget friendly but since you have the Leupold already id say maybe go with the Weaver or Nikon Buckmaster 4-14 with side focus. Thats a great scope for the ranges you can accomplish with the 17

Joe S.
Central MS

"An armed society is a polite society."

redistribute work ethic!