Author Topic: Finally shot my 223  (Read 803 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Finally shot my 223
« on: February 06, 2012, 02:21:07 PM »
After collecting the main ingredient for our squirrel and dumplings Saturday morning, we did some shooting at the farm.  Nothing serious, just having some fun!   ;)  I had brought along my 223 and a bunch of surplus Guatemalan 5.56.  To say that I was very happy with the way that Handi shot is a gross understatement!  I won't give any particulars since I only sighted it in and then shot it at 50 yards, but with military surplus ammo, shooting off the bipod, can you say bug hole!?   ;D

I can't wait to work up some coyote loads!   :P
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Finally shot my 223
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 02:38:50 PM »
Looks good richard!!

How about some target pics?

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline TopperT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Guard Dog
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 03:52:31 PM »
I began shooting mine for the first time on Sunday and fell head over heels in love with it.  I'm working tomorrow to close up 2"-2 1/2" 100 yard groups up a bit with heavier than 55 grn loads for Coyote.  I just ran out and found some 64 grn and 62 grn ammo.  I'll try that in the AM.

My Varmit .223 and I'll be heading up to the northern end of the Allagash wilderness in ME. next week for a week of Coyote hunting over bait.  I love this rifle.......I just wish I had bought one sooner.  What a blast to shoot.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 11:12:50 PM »
Richard.  I can't wait til ya post a range report after ya ream it to .223-120 ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;)
Seriously, they're a fun and accurate little sucker.  Mine climbed out of the box shooting MOA.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 01:41:11 AM »
I agree with Pete, love my .223 Handi!  A real grin to shoot and very accurate.  Hmmm, a .223/120?  Pete, you may have something there.  That would work great with a 43" barrel!  ha ha.  Keep shooting!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 05:36:06 AM »
How about some target pics?

Didn't take any Brie.  I only shot it at 50 yards and that's why I kinda hesitated posting anything about the accuracy.   :-\   How it groups at a hundred will be a better indicator.  But, it's lookin pretty good so far!   ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 05:48:04 AM »
I can't wait til ya post a range report after ya ream it to .223-120

Aw cummon Pete!   ::)   That's just 'dic-a-lus... A 22-120!   ::)   Why I'd hav...  ???  ...  :-\  ... Hold on a bit!  I gotta think about this... you may be on to sumpin!   :P
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline RobertInIowa

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 07:47:28 AM »
I've got a .223 Cooper and it's a blast to shoot. 1/2" @ 100 yards from day one. I just wonder what it'd do if I were a good shot! Anyway, nice rifle, you'll have a lot of fun with that one.
Guns don't kill people, fathers with pretty daughters do.
Two wrongs don't make a right,....but three comes pretty close.
Proud NRA member.

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 09:12:59 AM »
A .22-120...
You's need a BC'ish barrel to keep from frying your eyebrows off, but it'd be a hoot!
I remember reading a long time ago about someone making a .22-.50BMG. If I remember right they burned the throat out in very short order.
With a standard 22" barrel and a muzzle brake you could have fun setting off all the car alarms in the range parking lot!!!
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline wralyn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 12:36:37 PM »
Mine has ruined me. I used to think 1/2" groups at 100 yards were the stuff of legends. I was content with my 30-30 3" groups and thought that was all any man needed. After I picked up my used Ultra Varmint from the FFL and got it sighted in, I can't seem to be satisfied with anything over 1".  To be able to shoot the wings off of a gnat is a great feeling. To be able to do it with $8/box ammo is even better. To know that the total cost of my rifle and scope is less than my wife's lipstick collection is priceless!

I just felt a thrill go up my leg!  :o

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 01:20:56 PM »
Mine has ruined me. I used to think 1/2" groups at 100 yards were the stuff of legends. I was content with my 30-30 3" groups and thought that was all any man needed. After I picked up my used Ultra Varmint from the FFL and got it sighted in, I can't seem to be satisfied with anything over 1".  To be able to shoot the wings off of a gnat is a great feeling. To be able to do it with $8/box ammo is even better. To know that the total cost of my rifle and scope is less than my wife's lipstick collection is priceless!

I just felt a thrill go up my leg!  :o

LOL, your right!

I have had four, one Varmint, one Ultra HD, one Nickle HB and one std barrel...

I wanted the Varmint, I bought it new. It shot very well at or just under 1" at 100 yards. Was not sensative at all, almost all loadings shot well. Got the Ultra in a "deal"... it too shot well. No better or worse. I sold to a friend. I grabbed the Nickle to get the receiver and almost never shot it. about the same time I sold a stock set and the "buyer" was short on $$ and I took the STD 223 as partial trade. I took both to the range and shot them... The nickle blew up on me... The STD shot as well as the others... I fixed up the Nickle and WOAH!! Its a OH SO CLOSE TO A .5 MOA shooter!!! I sold off the Varmint and the STD!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 02:52:02 PM »
After collecting the main ingredient for our squirrel and dumplings Saturday morning, we did some shooting at the farm.

I'm intrigued about what you used to collect the squirrels, and what you used to collect the dumplings. 

We don't have wild dumplings here in WA, but we do have squirrels.  ;D
DECEASED 6/6/2013