Author Topic: H&R 340 with a stainless douglas barrel?  (Read 1087 times)

Offline voneill

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R 340 with a stainless douglas barrel?
« on: February 07, 2012, 10:05:40 AM »
Hi All,
I’m new to the forum and stumbled across it while I was searching for some info. on an H&R I had picked up from a friend after his Father in law passed away. I saw a few people mention the Ultra series rifle and I’m reasonably sure that’s what I have. I’ll try to post a few pictures later on tonight but it’s a Yugo Mauser action chambered in 7mm rem mag. I think it’s probably the model 340 as it doesn’t have the really pronounced cheek piece that the 300 has. The one really unique feature the gun has that I haven’t seen is a Douglas premium ported stainless barrel. I had bought it to a gun smith I know and he said he hadn’t seen one like it but thought the work was done really well. I’m in college now and the 7mm mag is a pretty expensive round so I’m just looking to get rid of it at this point and was wondering  if anybody had any idea how much it was worth.
Thanks in advance for any info,
Vince

Offline voneill

Pics of the 340? with Douglas barrel
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 08:30:15 AM »
Pictures of what I think? may be an H&R 340 with a factory stainless barrel

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: H&R 340 with a stainless douglas barrel?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 11:08:02 AM »
A quick internet search shows them offered for around $600-$700, I'd bet it's not the original factory barrel the barrel markings aren't close to how others are marked. Post it for sale in the Firearms Classifieds for a good starting price and reduce it as necessary, please be sure to read the classified rules first.  ;)
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,236.0.html

Tim

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=1v&oq=H%26R+model+340&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGHP_en___US445&q=h%26r+model+340+rifle&gs_upl=0l0l1l190250lllllllllll0&aqi=g1g-v1

http://www.gunsinternational.com/popup.cfm?id=100217467&num=7&pic=100217467-7-L.JPG
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline voneill

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 12:14:11 PM »
Thanks so much for the info!

Offline Sprint

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 02:47:56 AM »
voneill,

The stainless barrel on your H&R Ultrarifle is definitely not factory. Although H&R used Douglas barrel blanks for a period of years, none were stainless.

Sprint

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 03:34:40 AM »
From a look at the stock I do not believe that to be a "Ultrarifle" model. It appears the barrel has possibly been changed, and unless the stock has been changed as well It is most likely a very similar but plainer model designated simply by a number, 300, 310, 330, 340, etc. All in all still a fine rifle....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline voneill

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 05:53:01 AM »

Thanks so much for the information, the barrel not being from the factory makes sense since I’ve never seen another H&R like this. Curious if anybody knows what that does to the value? Like I said, definitely not looking to make a killing on it, but thinking I may want to get into a lower level AK since the ammo is so much cheaper and right now I really have no need for the punch of the 7mm

Offline Sprint

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 04:43:34 AM »
From a look at the stock I do not believe that to be a "Ultrarifle" model. It appears the barrel has possibly been changed, and unless the stock has been changed as well It is most likely a very similar but plainer model designated simply by a number, 300, 310, 330, 340, etc. All in all still a fine rifle....<><.... :)

MSP Ret,

The attached show the H&R model 340 from the 1982-3 catalog.  Note the cheekpiece configuration with the bead around the bottom. Looks to be the same one as in the subject rifle.

The stocks used on this model were made by Bishop.
Sprint