Author Topic: Case lube for neck sizing only  (Read 855 times)

Offline tacotime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Case lube for neck sizing only
« on: February 07, 2012, 10:11:44 AM »
Using the Redding and RCBS neck sizing dies on several bottleneck calibers.  I had been lubing the neck only (inside and out) with a Q-Tip and a little RCBS liquid case lube, but it's too much trouble getting it all out of the case neck inside at the end.  (Ignoring for now the Lee Collet option).

How do you guys handle it?  Mica?  Graphite?  Does it have to be cleaned out at the end? Are there any tricks? 

Thanks.

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
Re: Case lube for neck sizing only
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 11:30:51 AM »
I never lube the inside of my cases. I vibrate them with crushed walnut media and that is all I need. As for the outside of the case, I use nothing but Imperial Sizing Die Wax. A small tin last me about five years
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Catfish

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
When neck sizeing only I usually do not use any lube. If I do I have a small bullet box with # 12 shot and mica in it that I dip the necks into. Graphite works just as well, but it gets black all over everything. Just tap the case necks on the table after sizing to get the lube out. If a very small amout of eather is left it will not contaminate the powder. It don`t take much.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 01:42:14 PM »
I like Mica too, works great and is easy to impliment with a little Midway kit with correct caliber brushes.

OR use the Lee Collett neck sizer dies and no lube is needed!  ;)

CW

(Did I just recomend a LEE product???)  :o :o :o
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 01:57:36 PM »
I also tumble in walnut and skip the inside lube.  On the outside, I like the Lee lube that comes in a tube.  I put a small dab on top on my hand where it is always "at hand".  When I finish sizing, I gently force the unused lube right back into the tube.  I like it because it is not messy, like sizing oils and pads.  It also works like a dry lube, so I do not worry much if a small amount gets on the inside of a neck.  One tube will probably do 10,000 cases or more.  I keep an extra tube just in case they discontinue the product.  The Lee auto primer and case lube are the only Lee products I have ever used. 

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 03:23:35 PM »
Been neck sizing 22-250 for a long time ( using RCBS dies) and have never lubed either side.  With full length sizing I have found with some calibers that the inside of the case creates a lot of drag and when I lube I use RCBS water soluable lube and a brush for the inside of the case mouth.  I never lube the outide of the neck.

When I lube the inside of a case with the RCBS I wash the cases in hot wate to remove the lube.
Probably not necessary but that is how I do it.

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline tacotime

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 03:31:13 PM »
Hmmm...  I was thinking that without lube on the inside of the neck, that a good deal of friction is created at the end of the stroke. 

When I did a few without lube, it seemed hard on the die metal, no?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 03:42:12 PM »
Hmmm...  I was thinking that without lube on the inside of the neck, that a good deal of friction is created at the end of the stroke. 

The drag is the expander ball, not the die body. Clean cases help, deburred necks help and dry lube helps. I do all three. :)

It also is where your cases "grow"... ::)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 08:36:30 PM »
All my RCBS neck sizers are run thru dry, Redding is and was another story until I polished the expander ball.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 08:48:39 PM »
a little hornady unique worked into  a pad and just touch the neck opening to it and the ball slides thru much easier on my 35whelen with the hornady neck size die. doesnt take much at all and cleaning it out hasnt been necessary, no powder grains sticking to the neck or anything.  I might try the mica setup longshot described if you dont like the idea of minute bits of  lube possibly in your cases. but it hasnt been a problem for me.
I would use a lee collet die if they made one for a whelen tho.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 11:18:27 PM »
I would use a Lee collet die if they made one for a Whelen tho.

I have a LEE Collet die for the Whelen... maybe they dropped it...

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 01:04:23 AM »
another one here thats been neck sizing for years with no lube. I do tumble first though to insure the case and necks are clean.
blue lives matter

Offline wncchester

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 02:39:10 AM »
CW:  "(Did I just recomend a LEE product???)  :o :o :o "

Yeah, you DID!   ;)     

I thought I saw a flash of light on the horizion just before 8 yesterday... and wondered what had happened, now I know!   ;D

I don't run any brass in a neck die without a bit of lube, just enough to prevent galling.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 12:25:40 PM »

Yes, doing it dry does create a lot of friction.  There are several ways to go:

1.  You can get a carbide expander button for Redding dies that greatly reduces friction.

2.  You can use Redding dry case lube.  It's a black powder I suspect is graphite but it works well.

3.  You can use various other lubricants.  I personally like Imperial Sizing Wax and use it to decrease friction on the inside and outside of the case neck at times for neck sizing.  I do think it's important to remove it which is no problem for me since I polish my cases with stainless steel pins.

I'm not a great fan of Lee Collet Dies as too many times cases so sized have loose bullets and accuracy in some instances is worse than what you can obtain by full length sizing or by neck sizing with traditional dies.

Offline tacotime

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 02:53:24 PM »
I had that variable neck tension issue with Lee Collet, but it seems islolated to the time I did not have a good solid mount for the press.  The next time I used it, all necks were tight.  Seems the die adjustment is critical and also the press stroke, but the jury is still out since there was only that one time since the press got mounted properly.

Who has the carbide ball for Redding?

I'll try the Redding lube.

Thanks.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 11:58:51 PM »
Who has the carbide ball for Redding?

I bought mine from MidwayUSA.  Just put in a search for "Redding carbide" and some will pop up and you can go from there.