Author Topic: Lets make drugs legal. Great stuff, we can handle it.  (Read 4589 times)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
Lets make drugs legal. Great stuff, we can handle it.
« on: February 07, 2012, 11:25:40 AM »
Addicts claim Opana drove them to unthinkable acts, deaths from drug is rising         by WHAS editors WHAS11.com Posted on February 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Updated yesterday at 7:09 PM        (WHAS11) – It’s being described as the most dangerous drug of our time.

A little pill is claiming lives in Kentuckiana and leaving local residents as crime victims to those desperate to get hold of the drug.

Opana is the brand name of the drug; the pill of Oxymorphone. Addicts tell me it's like morphine on steroids.

The painkiller is so strong that when used correctly, you only need one pill every 12 hours.

And when it’s abused it only takes one high to get people hooked and lead them to a life that puts us all at risk.

It’s the drug that's taken prescription pill abuse to a whole new level; in Louisville alone its lead to numerous overdoses.

In 2009 there were no overdose deaths associated with Opana. In 2010, there were 4 and last year in 2011 there were 33 deaths linked to Opana abuse.

Louisville Police say people who've been able to take strong prescription painkillers without being addicted are now getting hooked on Oxymorphone, known as Opana.

Those recovering from Opana addiction say the high off Opana is as strong as the high they get off a mix of drugs in just one hit.

For many the high is stronger than meth and police say the addiction is causing more problems than when crack cocaine first came on the scene.

Royia Carpenter says she did unthinkable acts to get opana - she said she spent $300 a day on pills - now she's in recovery.

"I never thought I would do that here I am a high school graduate scholarships and I went to college and it just took me down so fast," Carpenter said.

Curtis Sharp is away from his family focusing on his recovery.

"I liked the affect it did for me it multiplied after that," Sharp said.

He suffered an injury and was prescribed Loritabs then his desire for the next high lead him to Opana.

"With all the stuff I’ve done I can't believe I haven't od'd been shot or anything of that nature I’m lucky," Sharp said.

Opana is an opiate - Carpenter and Sharp say the withdrawal from opiates is so intense addicts will lie, cheat and steal so they don't get dope sick - as they call it.

Opana became popular in 2010 when the makers of Oxycotin reformulated their pills so they couldn’t be crushed and snorted. Now the makers of Opana are promising to do the same thing.

In a statement an executive with Endo Pharmaceuticals says: "We firmly believe this new formulation of Opana er, coupled with our long term commitment to awareness and education around appropriate use of opioids will benefit patients, physicians and payers."

Police say Opana mostly comes into our area from Detroit and Canada from pain clinics.

Carpenter and Curtis say doctors will write prescriptions for large quantities at these locations if you come in with enough money.

And if addicts don't have the cash police say they will break into homes steal whatever they can to pawn off quick for drug money.

In Kentuckiana it's estimated 60 to 80 percent of home break-ins, that are happening now, are linked to Opana.

And Sgt. McGuire says Louisville Police are seeing more night-time break-ins, while people are home, linked to the drug as well.

"Something so small controlled every aspect of my life," Carpenter said.
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Re: Lets make drugs legal. Great stuff, we can handle it.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 12:39:28 PM »
 Guess it is time to start loading and hinding a few more protection pieces. Most of the thieves in our area are from down that way >:(

Lonny

Offline Junior1942

• Trade Count: (1)
    • The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 12:43:40 PM »
We already house 25% of ALL the prisoners in the world.  Maybe we could tax churches and house some more????

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 03:19:23 PM »
Since drugs are already illegal why on earth would we have any drug problems at all?
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline powderman

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 04:13:09 PM »
The mgr at our local chinese restaurant was arrested for selling opana and other drugs, he and his girlfriend and another worker. They were slipping it in takeouts. I believe they are cheating on taxes too. They never ring up the food, just open the register and give change. No record of the money taken in. POWDERMAN.  :o :o
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline bagdadjoe

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 04:34:33 PM »
Not just Louisville, and not just Kentucky.  It's everywhere and especially here due to the "pipeline" from Florida where, apparently, they have a "pain clinic" on about every corner...literally.  It used to be the worst east of I-75, but of course it's spreading all over and coming to a neighborhood near you.  The sorry-assed economy takes it's toll in more than just jobs, it's killing the spirit.  My daughter lives in Johnson City, TN and she says it's epidemic there as well.  We have our own "cartel" and it has nothing to do with illegal immigrants.  The people making this stuff know without a doubt they are supplying many times what is being used for legitimate medical purposes...and it does have a legitimate purpose, for cancer patients, and the like.  They don't get "high"...it just stops the pain, hopefully.

"By all means, make friends with the dog...but do not set aside the stick".

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 06:40:28 PM »
We already house 25% of ALL the prisoners in the world.  Maybe we could tax churches and house some more? ???
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

We can save money if we quit "housing" perps..let's just "tent" them or "foxhole" them..if it's good enough for our soldiers and Marines, it's more than good enough for dopers..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 12:18:25 AM »
When drugs become legal, you won't be able to walk past a "drug" store without being mugged.
what idiot came up with the idea to legalize drugs?
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 12:40:49 AM »
Lets see... illicit drugs are already illegal and it's been said that in Florida there is literally a pain management clinic on every corner...

Bugeye says:

When drugs become legal, you won't be able to walk past a "drug" store without being mugged.
what idiot came up with the idea to legalize drugs?

Powderman says:

Lets make drugs legal. Great stuff, we can handle it.

Soooo... Drugs are already ILLEGAL yet were having all these problems with drugs and dealers... We can't possibly enforce the law enough to prevent them from getting in our country, being manufactured in our country, sold in our country and used in our country.  Yet our country is 15 TRILLION dollars in debt and your crying out that we should tax the people more and hire more enforcement officers to enforce drug laws.   

The bottom line is that this country has had a looooonnnnnnnng reputation of trying to ban things unsuccessfully.  Look at the Prohibition Era.  Look at the extent that people went to manufacture or import booze under the nose of the law.  How many speakeasy's were insanely profitable during this Era?   

I was talking with the Sherriff of my county a couple months ago and we got on the discussion of dealing with having to defend yourself against people that are both high and drunk.  He served many years on the Drug Task Force in our area before becoming Sheriff and his exact words were:  "I would much rather deal with most people that are stoned or high than deal with most people drunk on alcohol."   

Alcohol abuse is probably more devastating on people, homes and family's than drug use is.  How many people die of lung cancer from smoking?  Why are these destructive elements legal?   No matter how much you ban something, if the demand is there, somebody will go to the ends of the earth to supply it.  It's simple supply and demand. 

You guys really need to try and put things into perspective before you go off half cocked on somebody making the statement that "We should legalize drugs."   
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 02:16:07 AM »
You guys really need to try and put things into perspective before you go off half cocked on somebody making the statement that "We should legalize drugs."   

That'll require really thinking it out, and getting loose from some ideological positions...  and that's a really tall order for some folks here.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 02:34:29 AM »
SSS, alcohol is indeed a big problem and should be treated like any other drug.
people that are "high" may be easier to handle at times except those with a tendency to get violent.
but dopeheads are notorious for commiting crime to pay for their habit.  legal drugs wouldn't change that.  easy access will only lead to more use and more crime.
besides, IMO, if you vote to legalize something that ruins millions of lives, you forfeit your soul.
God is watching even though we can't see him.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline powderman

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 02:53:25 AM »

sss. Of course I don't want drugs legalized, I titled the op like that to see what the pro dopers would do, I found out. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D

Offline scotsman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 02:57:58 AM »
I don't use drugs and never have. I would bet that the vast majority of members here are the same. This morning as I type this I have no idea where I might buy illegal drugs. I am though fully convinced that with little effort I could buy drugs in twenty four hours. I have no doubt that every member here could do the same. There is huge demand for drugs and they will not go away. I think Ron Paul is right on this issue. To think we can pass a new law, add a stiffer penalty, and solve the problem is nonsense. Legalize the drugs, take control from cartels and gangs, educate and treat those in the early stage of addiction. Those in the truely addicted phase of drug abuse, let them destroy themselves. To see openly and first hand that miserable destruction would do more to lessen drug use than anything else we could do.

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 03:05:35 AM »
but dopeheads are notorious for commiting crime to pay for their habit.
could you define a dopehead, as you use the term? And another question: would you have supported Prohibition in 1919?
besides, IMO, if you vote to legalize something that ruins millions of lives, you forfeit your soul.
Do you include in that calculus, the individuals in the  state legislatures that ratified the 21st Amendment to the Constitution?

Do you abstain from alcohol, tobacco, and coffee, Mr. Bugeye?
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 03:10:03 AM »

sss. Of course I don't want drugs legalized, I titled the op like that to see what the pro dopers would do, I found out. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D

TROLOLOLOLZ!
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 03:11:24 AM »
Singleshot got that one right...

Offline briarpatch

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 03:29:49 AM »
Is cocaine and maryjane addiction a problem south of the  border where they manufacture it by the tons?
I dont know what it would do or be if we legalize drugs but what we are doing now is not working. I honestly believe many in congress and the elite make their money from the illegal drug trade. If they wanted it stopped it could be stopped.

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 03:33:06 AM »
Neither side of the arguement is 100% right. I believe there needs to be a line drawn, as to what is legal, and not. Comparing this opana to smoking pot, is like giving your kids a dose of cold medicine, which might contain 3% or 4% alcohol, to, here drink this 180 grain moonshine. Making a drugs like this totally legal is insane. On the other hand, throwing somebody in jail for smoking pot in their house isn't right either. Unfortunatley, we're going to have people abuse the drug/alcohol no matter what we do. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Swift One

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 03:38:49 AM »
I got no problem with the legalization of pot.  Hec, lol, some folks need to calm the hec down once in a while.  Hard core drugs is what gets the theiving, and violence rolling.  Most folks that smoke a joint, want to sit around, laugh, zone out, eat, then sleep.  No different than alchohol- with the exception that alot of folks get the liquid violence from the hooch.  I have yet to here of a report where a guy smoked a bowl of pot, and went on a killing spree.
It's all a hot mess...........

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 03:43:11 AM »
I dont know what it would do or be if we legalize drugs but what we are doing now is not working.
It is working just fine for some people... they make a fine living off the War on (some) Drugs.

I honestly believe many in congress and the elite make their money from the illegal drug trade.
That's one of the reason that The War must continue - waaay too many people make bank off of it right now. Lawyers, cops, prison types, various feeders...

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 03:45:17 AM »
but dopeheads are notorious for commiting crime to pay for their habit.
could you define a dopehead, as you use the term? And another question: would you have supported Prohibition in 1919?
Do you include in that calculus, the individuals in the  state legislatures that ratified the 21st Amendment to the Constitution?

Do you abstain from alcohol, tobacco, and coffee, Mr. Bugeye?
I ran out of coffee the other day so I went next door and took a cup at gunpoint.
give dealers life with no parole, put users picture in the paper.
and don't harp about crowded prisons.  one bed could handle three prisoners. eight hours for each.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 03:52:31 AM »
I ran out of coffee the other day so I went next door and took a cup at gunpoint.
Let me try again:
1. Do you think that prohibition (1919-33) was a good idea?
2. Do you believe (as indicated) that those who advocated ending Prohibition, and so voted in legislatures to chg Constitution, forfeited their souls?

You've said you're a coffee drinker, which makes you a druggie in Mormon circles. Ever have a drink or a smoke?
I'm trying to suss out just what drugs you disapprove of, which ones you think are moral vs immoral, and... why.
Go ahead.

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 04:00:24 AM »
Let me try again:
1. Do you think that prohibition (1919-33) was a good idea?
2. Do you believe (as indicated) that those who advocated ending Prohibition, and so voted in legislatures to chg Constitution, forfeited their souls?

You've said you're a coffee drinker, which makes you a druggie in Mormon circles. Ever have a drink or a smoke?
I'm trying to suss out just what drugs you disapprove of, which ones you think are moral vs immoral, and... why.
Go ahead.
I don't hang around with mormons, and I drink de-caf a lot. just like the taste of coffee.
alcohol is responsible for the death of many innocent people.  we have some friends who lost a son. it broke my heart to see them mourn.  alcohol should be treated just like any other drug.
make it illegal except for some medicinal uses.
we shouldn't be putting it in gas either.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Swift One

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 04:07:15 AM »
You've said you're a coffee drinker, which makes you a druggie in Mormon circles

Wow, did not know that. I am a straight up street hype then... :D
It's all a hot mess...........

Offline briarpatch

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 04:07:16 AM »

One little myth corrected here.  Nothing in Mormon literature says coffee is a drug. Caffeine is not mentioned. I doubt anyone in the early 1800's knew what its chemical makeup was. Mormons were told not to drink it, period.

Now back to the regular programing.

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 04:11:22 AM »
You've said you're a coffee drinker, which makes you a druggie in Mormon circles

Wow, did not know that. I am a straight up street hype then... :D
I guess I'm an addict.  I have to prop my eyelids open till I have that first cup.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 06:25:15 AM »
   Whether he meant it that way or not, I tend to think some of Ron Paul's support comes from druggies.  I believe that is why of them are so fanatical in their support.  I would much rather people would have the strength of character to eschew mind-bending substances by their own moral power.
  That goes for any mind warping material, whether it be drugs or alcohol..we don't need it, it is costly and I seriously wish people could learn that life can be just as good (and likely better) without the junk.  Tobacco is harmful, but a smoker can navigate with full mental capacity, so avoiding placing others ion his smoke stream.. he is only hurting himself for the most part.
  I don't smoke because of the health and cost..but I don't see smokers robbing people for a 'tobacco fix'..even though trhey are about $90 per carton around here. Coffee is relatively innocous in reasonable amounts and can help some physical things.
    To argue that alcohol causes problems and is legal, so we should legal;ize the other junk..is specious at best !  That is like saying "Herman was hit in the head with a hammer and it hurt him..so hit him again..it probably won't hurt him any more than the first hit" !  Two wrongs do not make a right!
    .  To hear a person use the "drugs are no worse than alcohol" argument, right or wrong.. makes me think right off.."that guy is hooked on something"..

Since illicit drugs are presently outlawed, only outlaws have such drugs..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 06:45:11 AM »
Quote from Ironglow:
" I don't smoke because of the health and cost..but I don't see smokers robbing people for a 'tobacco fix'..even though trhey are about $90 per carton around here."

Although not an everyday occurrence "cigarette burglaries" are becoming more common around my area at places that sell them.
GuzziJohn

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 06:53:44 AM »
Vanilla, almond,lemon and other extracts/tinctures are made with alcohol. Best stop the cookie consumption!  Rofl !!  (solely meant as humor)

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 07:17:45 AM »
I like how all Ron Paul supporters are now drug addicts.  You Foxers will try anything wont you. 

... TROLOLOLZ