Author Topic: How hard is it to build a complete AR upper half?  (Read 600 times)

Offline NYH1

• Trade Count: (0)
How hard is it to build a complete AR upper half?
« on: February 07, 2012, 06:47:26 PM »
How hard is it to build a complete AR upper half?

I ordered a Stag complete lower half with a A2 buttstock.  I'm not sure if I want to buy the Stag upper that they use on their model 1, buy a different brand or build my own.  How hard is it to build a complete upper half?  I like to have a mid length hand guard/gas system setup.  I like the way they look and feel.  My last AR was a middy (RRA Tasc Rifle 16").  I'm in New Yorkistan so it has to be AWB compliant.  Which is no big deal.  I don't like the collapsible buttstocks, don't need a bayonet or flash hider and can still use pre ban high capacity magazines. 

I definitely want a 16" barrel with a permanently affixed A2 front sight and a flat top A3/A4 receiver, this is set in stone.  As mentioned, I'd like a middy, but it's not a deal breaker.  However, if I build one, I'd go with the middy. . . . .if I build one, I might as well go with the one I like.  The Stag model 1 upper comes with a removable carry handle with A2 sights, which is nice.  I could shoot it until I can get whatever optic I decide on using.  Maybe a RRA Dominator mount and EOTech.  That won't be anytime soon.

If I need special tools, that'll add to the price.  If it cost the same or more to buy tools and build one, maybe I'd be better off just buying a complete upper.  So what do I need to properly build a AR upper?  By that I mean what AR parts and tools do I need?  I'm definitely on a tight budget.  I have a lot of irons in the fire right now.  However, putting this AR together is a priority.  I'll take all the info I can get!

Thanks, NYH1.  ;) 
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
Re: How hard is it to build a complete AR upper half?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 11:40:22 PM »
There's not much that's complicated about building your own upper, special tools are not an absolute necessity either.   The only part that can be an issue is getting the barrel and reciever bolted together. I've used a brass punch to tighten the barrel nut to the reciever.  Just work your way around carefully until you tighten it evenly, then tighten it some more until the gas tube lines up with one of the holes.  Use a big C-clamp and a block of wood to clamp the upper to the work bench.  If you're lucky, you can find a budd that has the holding fixtures that will help you out.  Makes it much easier to assemble, but not the end of the world if you don't.
  You can find plenty of videos at Brownells, YouTube, etc that will show you how it's done.  Just purchase the individual parts in the configuration that you want and put it all together.
Some folks argue that you must check the headspace with a set of Go-NoGo gages, but if the barrel and bolt are of good quality, you really don't have to do this either.  The barrel extension, chamber, and bolt either line up and lock or they don't, pretty simple.  If it makes you feel better, take it to a 'smith and have the headspacing checked once you've assembled everything.

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 05:51:08 AM »
The tools to do it right are an armorers wrench and an action block. I bought both last summer and spent less than $50.00.
After that go to http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_.html and follow the directions there. Going slow, following the diections and being extra cautious because it was my first time doing it, took me less than 15 minutes to finish my upper.
I assembled an entire AR from loose parts in less than an hour. It's a lot easier than it looks, and it looks easy!
As for headspace, if you buy the barrel and bolt together as a package unit, the manufacturer should have already headspaced it. Just read the description or call them to be sure.
I would say buy the parts you want and do it yourself.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline NYH1

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 05:14:41 PM »
My dealer gave me a killer deal on a Stag 1H complete upper half with the plus package so I bought it.  I won't be building one anytime soon.  Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it.

NYH1! 
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 03:59:00 AM »
Is there any real advantage----money, parts, ect---over buying one assembled?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline NYH1

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 02:50:56 PM »
I have never built my own so I can't say.  I know a lot of guys say if you're going to build more later on, building them is cheaper and the tools will pay for themselves.  I plan on getting a few different uppers down the road.  I'm going to get a long barrel varmint upper and probably an old school M16/AR15 20" A2 type upper.  A 6.8 SPC would be nice for big game hunting, we'll see.  I won't being getting them any time soon.  And if my friend gives me good deals on them like he did on my lower and upper I just bought from him, buying will probably be cheaper for me.

NYH1.