Author Topic: What To DO,What To Do  (Read 1096 times)

Offline okdirt

• Trade Count: (0)
What To DO,What To Do
« on: February 09, 2012, 01:15:05 AM »
In my ongoing search for material, both for payin and playin work, i found a piece of 10" round bar 18" long of 1018. Having a golf ball mortor I'm thinking bigger.

Dictator ? What bore ? What kind of base,steel or wood ?   :-\

I really need some help with this delema.  :'(

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: What To DO,What To Do
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 03:30:01 AM »
How big is your lathe?

Get a set of plans from AOP for the 10 inch Sea Coast  Mortar.  Scale the drawing to .364. You will need a 16 3/4 inch length of your steel.  Make the bore 3.67 diameter- 6 PDR. 

To help you make your decision about what to do, I suggest you order one 6 PDR mortar ball from rotometals. http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/zinc_cannon_ball_large.htm

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 08:56:18 AM »
This would be an excellent project.

Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 10:44:22 AM »
And a heavy one since the cheeks of the mount are iron, too.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 01:25:31 PM »
I looked at this cheek patterN for my Bowling ball mortar.  The scaling said the they had to be 2 1/2 thick.  I looked into water jet cutting steel plate and the guesstimate used thousand to describe the price...not a K.I.S.S. principal.

I acquired some 100 year old 3" x 12" Douglas fir beams that will become the base.  Painted black with the reliefs routed out should look like iron. 

Offline okdirt

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 12:20:28 AM »
Hmmmm, well seeing as my big lathe is a 18 X 72 I have enough machine.

The base is Iron on on it so it could be built up from some 3/8 plate I salvaged off a demo job .  Have a bunch of 3/4 ( I think  ::)  ) round bar for tie bars and a really nice bronze adjusting screw that was aquired when I got the material for my golf ball piece .

Guess when finished it could be skidded up on a trailer for transport.

Offline Double D

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 04:07:10 AM »
Hmmmm, well seeing as my big lathe is a 18 X 72 I have enough machine.

The base is Iron on on it so it could be built up from some 3/8 plate I salvaged off a demo job .  Have a bunch of 3/4 ( I think  ::)  ) round bar for tie bars and a really nice bronze adjusting screw that was aquired when I got the material for my golf ball piece .

Guess when finished it could be skidded up on a trailer for transport.

From the historical pictures these were transported in two parts.

This media file is in the public domain in the United States. This applies to U.S. works where the copyright has expired, often because its first publication occurred prior to January 1, 1923.

So get too building and be sure to bring it to  Montana in 2013...post progress pictures we love them!

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 04:49:29 AM »
When I have looked at this image in the past my attention has always been on the mortar and mortar bed.  I just noticed that there is an observation tower in the background.

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 01:51:31 AM »
When I have looked at this image in the past my attention has always been on the mortar and mortar bed.  I just noticed that there is an observation tower in the background.
Wow I didn't notice that tower either. Just for fun I measured the pixels and if those two black blobs at the top are people, I think the visible section of the tower is roughly 130' tall. If 9 pixels = 5.5', then 214 pixels = 130'. The way I came up with 5.5 feet for the height of the man was by checking my method on an image at this website: http://www.civilwarsignals.org/pages/signal/signal.html One of the pictures shows a 125' tower, so to make the ratio work, the men have to be 5.5 feet tall.

Edit: I found a higher resolution picture and it looks like I'm completely wrong. That platform is perched on top of a cut off tree!  :o  I stuck a 5.5' man in the opening and that makes the platform about 90' tall. Either way, it's higher than I'd want to be considering the rickety appearance of it.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 02:37:11 AM »
Looks like they went all out on the roof.

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 04:12:01 PM »
In this picture, those observers were in a very precarious position...1) the flimsy construction, and, 2) easy targets for enemy snipers....maybe they were given the chance to draw straws, rather than just being ordered up there? Kinda doubt it tho....
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 04:59:21 PM »
My understanding of that picture (from captions) was that the barrels had been set on the ground by Union forces so perhaps the people in the tower were sight seers instead of observers.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 08:17:55 PM »
In any case, I would not have wanted to be up there, and not for just the reasons stated...also have a case of acrophobia that would severely affect my ability to act as a "lookout" in such a high place!
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 03:31:59 AM »
The men in the observation tower could be spotting for another artillery position.