Author Topic: Hammer freezing up on half cock?  (Read 890 times)

Offline Will52100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Hammer freezing up on half cock?
« on: January 21, 2004, 06:51:16 PM »
Yet anouther problem with the 61' navy/police.  I realy like this gun, but it keeps giving me fits!

Well so far I've had to clean up the inside of the hammer cut-out in the frame so the hammer could fall, aparently while machining the end mill chiped and left some flash at the edges.

I've had to take a few thousands off the inside of the hammer so that it would actualy bust caps.

I've replaced the nipples with Treso, never had to replace nipples before, but these were definatly substandard, even for stock nipples.

Hand spring broke.  I think this is where the problem is coming from.  I replaced the hand and spring with one out of an old 60' army, but had to pien the end slightly to get the timing right.  Works great except that when I load all six chambers and lower the hammer on the safty notch, to shoot I have to manualy turn the cylinder to be able to cock, it won't let me just cock and shoot as I would with my other guns.  OK, sumthings out of ajustment, what do you guys think it is?  It didn't do this with the other hand and spring.  Both hand and springs have same part #'s and miked out virtualy identical.  Going to give it a good cleaning and see if maybe that helps.(I usaly fire a couple hundred rounds befor cleaning)

I swere from now own I'm going with Uberti, and if I have the slightest
problem there getting it back!  I enjoy a bit of tinkering but I don't have time to keep working on the same gun over and over!

Thanks,

Will
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline crossbow

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 03:13:21 PM »
It may be that the spring has not enough tension and is allowing the hand to slip over the notch in this position that is the hand falls a little back into the gun as it is rising.
Deactivated as trouble maker. Do not reactivate.

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 02:45:39 PM »
Well I cleaned it up real good and when I let the hammer down on the safty pin I hear a faint click.  Thing the sear on the hammer is slipping past the cylinder locking bolt spring.  I'm on the rig right now, so it'll be a couple of weeks before I can fool with it, but I think bending the locking bolt spring out just a hair would fix the problem?

Thanks

Will
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 04:40:57 AM »
Sounds to me that when you lower the hammer to the safety position, you are not lowering it enough for the hand to slip under the cylinder rachet.  Try lowering it (gently) all the way down against the nipple, then pull it back to the safety notch.  I'll bet you will find that when you do it that way, it will rotate the cylinder when you pull it back to full cock from the safety notch.  As you said, when you lower in onto the safety pin, you hear a click.  That should be the hand reseting itself.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 07:50:42 AM »
Thanks, I think I'll try that when I get in, I may also try timing it a little better and see if that helps.  It didn't do it with the original hand.  I have some steel banding I will try and make a new spring out of and see if that does it.  The more I think about it the more I think the replacement hand is just a little shorter than the original.
www.courtneyknives.com