Author Topic: Basic press for full length resizing 308/7.62 brass  (Read 1058 times)

Offline schuetzen

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
Basic press for full length resizing 308/7.62 brass
« on: February 10, 2012, 12:41:38 PM »
I use a Lee hand press and although it is slow, I am satisfied with using it for .357 Mag, .357 Max and neck sizing .308 WIN.  However, I have a bucket full of 7.62x51 NATO brass that needs full length resizing.  Is the basic Lee Reloader Press sufficient for full length resizing or will I need a beefier press?

Lee Reloader Press
http://leeprecision.com/reloader-press.html
‎Is it really Zombie Max, if it's not .357 Max?

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
Re: Basic press for full length resizing 308/7.62 brass
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 12:51:54 PM »
I lube my 308's up and use my Lee hand press with no problems.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 12:55:15 PM »
Works for me.

Offline schuetzen

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 01:34:52 PM »
I lube my 308's up and use my Lee hand press with no problems.

Really?  I once tried using a *small base* .308 resizer that I happened to have gotten in a trade.  I used lube.  However, I thought I was going to break the hand press, I had to put so much pressure on it.  And I still did not get the brass resized fully.  I got about ~3/8" from completing and I could go no further.  I assumed regular full length might also be difficult with a hand press (perhaps not as difficult as the small base die was).

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 01:37:10 PM »
I have that same press, it's the only one I own. I use it for up to 45-70 so I don't think you'll have any problem using it for 308.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 01:43:01 PM »
Probably about 300 rounds of 308's in the safe right now all sized and loaded with my Lee hand press. As Doublebass73 said, it's the only one I own. If it ever breaks or wears out, I'll buy another.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 05:40:12 PM »
the C frame reloader press will be fine, look around there are deals where you you get the press and the lee 2nd edition book togather for cheap.

I have the lee breechlock challenger that came with the 50th anniversary kit.
 good press and I really like the breechlock setup for swapping dies.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 07:07:06 PM »
I didn't have any issues with military brass that I've done with the hand press.  I used Lee's Universal decapping die though, so you aren't applying sizing force and decapping force at once.  Works good for me.  I use the Universal for a lot of calibers that I neck only size or that I shoot fireformed.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline painted horse

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 01:31:30 PM »
I've never used the Lee hand press, however it does look interesting for sure. If you're looking for an inexpensive SS press it would be hard to beat the new Lee challenger (breech lock or not) press. Very nice little press. Plenty strong and has through the ram primer disposal. 

Offline wncchester

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 01:37:19 PM »
"I used lube.  However, I thought I was going to break the hand press,..."

Everyone THINKS they've lubed well enough, and with a good lube, but they're often wrong.   Such effort strongly suggests you dint have the lower end of the case sufficently lubed, that's where it's thickest and hardest to resize. 
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 11:25:07 AM »
FL resized 308 and 30-06 in both presses for years. Reloader press definitely makes it easier than the hand press. The hand press was my only press for about 15 years and I managed but that was in my 20's and 30's. In my 50's now with 3 coronary artery stints so probably would not want to go back to that. The Reloader works great. I never regretted buying it.

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 03:53:42 PM »
Nothing wrong with the reloader press but for resizeing bottleneck rifle I would pony up a little more and go with the challenger press. The reloader press is best served doing light work, that is what is what it was designed for. The price difference between the two is really insignificant.
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline schuetzen

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 12:52:46 PM »
I got a full length die this week and tried it out with my hand press.  It works without much difficulty.  The difficulty I had previously must have been due to the die being a small base die.  I also received the Lee Reloader Press in the order.  It will likely do the job, but I may return it and upgrade to the Lee Challenger Press.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 04:16:21 PM »
You might check out the Lee Universal Decapper.  I like it because it doesn't touch the case at the same time as knocking out your crimped in military primers.  Works slick and you don't get the pressure from decapping added to the pressure of the re-sizing.  I can smack through 100 caps with it in about 10 minutes with my handpress.  I also like using it if I'm going to collet (neck size only) my bottle necks.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 12:42:18 AM »
the lee hand press will size 308s but keep in mind theres alot of flex in the design. Just because your getting full stroke out of the handle and have your dies sent to bump the shell holder doesnt mean your getting complete sizing. I once sized a bunch of 8mag brass with the lee press and NONE of it would chamber. Before i loaded a pile of miltary 308 brass with bullets and powder and primers id check to see if it actually fits your chamber after sizing. If this is going into a ar10 or something simular id load 20 up and make sure the loaded rounds functioned properly before mass loading any more of it. there great for what they are but not the  best for real heavy duty sizing jobs. For tough loading jobs your much better served by a rock chucker, orange crush or a lnl hornady or a simular 0 frame press.
blue lives matter

Offline schuetzen

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 03:29:26 AM »
the lee hand press will size 308s but keep in mind theres alot of flex in the design. Just because your getting full stroke out of the handle and have your dies sent to bump the shell holder doesnt mean your getting complete sizing. I once sized a bunch of 8mag brass with the lee press and NONE of it would chamber. Before i loaded a pile of miltary 308 brass with bullets and powder and primers id check to see if it actually fits your chamber after sizing. If this is going into a ar10 or something simular id load 20 up and make sure the loaded rounds functioned properly before mass loading any more of it. there great for what they are but not the  best for real heavy duty sizing jobs. For tough loading jobs your much better served by a rock chucker, orange crush or a lnl hornady or a simular 0 frame press.

In this case I am reloading for a TC Encore.  After this initial resizing to get them to chamber them in the Encore, I will be collet neck sizing for this brass.  I have one semi-auto .308 but don't intend to reload it for now.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 12:55:13 AM »
the lee hand press will do real well neck sizing but then you probably know that. Problem you may run into is that if the miltary brass was fired in a military gun it may be on the large side. Most military rifles have a bit larger chamber dimention to insure reliabilty. One brass is shot in them it can be difficult to get down to the right dimentions near the base to fit in a gun with a tight chamber. Some 308 and 223 once fired brass wont work in my bolt guns even after being resized in a small base die. Another problem can be that military brass tends to be a bit thicker and harder which makes it tougher to size. I guess i have to ask=== if you have the press and have the dies and have the brass why dont you just try it and see?
blue lives matter

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 02:14:04 AM »
Can't say anything about your press as I don't care for the Lee press and don't own one. BUT the military brass can be hard to resize and decap on any press. I just did about 300 that were shot from a machine gun I was told. It was old and I got it in a trade . It was added to sweeten the deal. It was hard to resize and decap on a RCBS Roch chucker press. Trying to find an easier way I punched the primer out with a tool made by Lee . It looks like a punch and has a round metal base with a hole in it  to set the case in when punching out the primer. This did ease that last little bit at the end of the stroke. I would suggest the press be secured to something that won't give. Keep in mind military cases are thicker , harder and have crimped in primers. I tried several hand tools to remove the burr from the primer pocket but none were very fast or uniform. RCBS makes a prep station that has cutters for cleaning up military brass primer pockets and it works great.

If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline schuetzen

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 03:52:48 AM »
I am not sure if this brass is actually classified as military brass.  It was "white box" Winchester ammo that is marked with a NATO headstamp, but there is no crimping of the primer that I have seen.  I have no problem depriming them.  They do appear to be a heavier brass than other commercial .308 that I have.  I use to shoot an HK rifle back in the '90s and this brass is that which I saved from then.  The brass is fluted from the HK fluted chamber.  I am hoping that resizing them will allow me to reuse them.  I have tried a few pieces so far and they appear to resize OK (with the Lee Hand Press!) so they will chamber in my TC Encore.  They still show fluting and I will have to see if fire forming them in the Encore will remove the fluting.

I found this nifty little stand at Harbor Freight.  I mounted a piece of 2X wood between the Lee press and the stand.
http://www.harborfreight.com/universal-bench-grinder-stand-3184.html

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 05:50:28 AM »
ww brass isnt military. Its not crimped and its not as thick. Im surprised though that you got it to size down enough to fit that encore. Hk chambers are usually real big. You must have a generously cut chamber in that tc too.
blue lives matter

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 05:54:48 AM »
Some of the military brass I have (its old) is marked W-W on the head stamp with a year date . It has crimped primers and sealed with a red sealant. It is mixed with LC marked brass also showing a year date stamp.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline 1armoured

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 01:40:57 PM »
Love my Lee Hand Press.  Goes with me everywhere.
I size .22Hornet and .222 and seat them and the .308, but will only neck size my .308  Lapua brass, which is reasonably thick, good quality stuff.
I feel much more comfortable f/l sizing the .308 on a solid base with my orange Crusher, when it gets a bit tight after a couple firings.
Just feels more 'right' !
Had a job sizing/decapping some crimped primer .223 military brass in the Hand Press a while ago.
cheers,
SS