Author Topic: bullet mold for 45-70  (Read 680 times)

Offline shotgunner

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
bullet mold for 45-70
« on: January 22, 2004, 12:49:23 AM »
What bullet mold would you recomend for the 45-70? What diameter, .457, .458, other? I am starting with a Lyman 457123, have any of you tried a hollow point mold? Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Hunter/ Trapper/Fisherman
Owner, Skyline Skeet & Trap
Gun nut
"Game butchery is as objectionable as any other form of wanton cruelty or barbarity; but to protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
bullet mold for 45-70
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 01:12:52 AM »
Gunner, to me, that's going to depend on what you're going to use it in and what you're going to use it for.  The "gun gurus" whose advice I respect enough to pay for, all are anti hollow point.  They claim that with cast bullet's degree of hardness (or softness) and the speeds at which they are used, function best on paper, steel and flesh with solid nose bullets.
As far as the 457123, I'm unfamaliar with this bullet, I've never heard of it, but that doesen't mean much, there are a lot I've never heard of.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
bullet mold for 45-70
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 06:17:13 AM »
Gunner after having read a little further down the forum, I think what you've got will make a good TC load, though I must admit to not having used the bullet or the powder.  The 45/70 is pretty easy to load for.  As to sizing, if you haven't sluged your barrel, it might be best if you did.  Barring that, I'd probably start with "as cast" just to see what happens.
Butler Ford

Offline shotgunner

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
bullet mold for 45-70
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 12:36:57 PM »
Ford

I haven't slugged the barrel yet because I don't have it yet. I am interested in a singleshot 45-70 and am thinking of one of the Highwall or Rollingblock copies. I thought that an Encore barrel would be a good way to try it out before I decided to spend the money for a more expencive gun. I have loaded a lot of different rounds but never the 45-70. I asked about hollow point bullets because I found a mold that I could buy at the right price.
    My interest is in finding a load that will be accurate without creating too much recoil. I will be using iron sights and will probably shoot a deer or two with it sooner or later. I think that any load I can come up with will work on deer. Mostly I will shoot at moderate ranges, under 300 yards, at a gong or targets. I am sure that what ever I come up with will be a lot of fun.

Shot
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Hunter/ Trapper/Fisherman
Owner, Skyline Skeet & Trap
Gun nut
"Game butchery is as objectionable as any other form of wanton cruelty or barbarity; but to protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
bullet mold for 45-70
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 05:24:06 PM »
Gunner, I use a 405 gr flat tip for an '86 and a 500 gr for a '74, both lyman moulds, I only use black powder in the sharps, but the 86 is such a pain to clean, I normally use smokless in it.  I've tried IMR 3031, IMR 4064 and XMP 5744.  The load I use for the kids and grandkids to shoot is 35 grains of IMR 3031, it shoots well with relatively low recoil.  It should work well with your 380 grain bullet equally well.  I'm willing to wager that you'd find this load to your liking.

ps, the dacron wad will help maintain the powder in a consistant position, and this should help with accuracy, but is not an absolute necessity.

From Lyman Castbullet Handbook:

IMR 4198  starting:  23 grain w/ dacron wad =  1039 fps from a 24' barrel
                Max for Trapdoor:  30 grain w/ dacron wad  = 1363 fps
                Max for Ruger #1:  50 grain    =  2220 fps
Butler Ford

Offline JBMauser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
bullet mold for 45-70
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2004, 03:55:37 AM »
ButlerFord45, I am working up loads as well with my lee 405 hollow base bullet.  I plan to shoot as you do with both BP and 3031 as well as Unique.  Do you use one lube for all or two different lubes? One for smokeless and one for BP.   Or do you shoot the BP lube with the 3031? JB

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
bullet mold for 45-70
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2004, 05:43:56 AM »
JB, the 405's are lubed with SPG, it is a black powder lube that seems to work well with smokless.  When I run out, I'll try home brew, I'm counting on "felix lube", discussed in this forum, to fill that need.
Butler Ford

Offline JBMauser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
bullet mold for 45-70
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2004, 07:01:42 AM »
Thanks for the info.  For some reason I thought that Felix lube was not a BP lube but a smokeless lube.  I have the formula and some bees wax on the way.  I will be off to get some Castor Oil...( I thought I could make it through life never haveing to use the stuff.  At least my mom never made me take it as a kid!!)  JB.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
bullet mold for 45-70
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2004, 08:00:01 AM »
JB
 I guess I was misleading, I assure you it was unintentional.  I was using the SPG on the 405 grain bullets in the 86.  It is a good lube, just expensive and since I have no plans for any more black powder in this rifle, I thought I would give felix a try.  It is my understanding as well that this is a smokless lube.
I use toilet ring and crisco and variations of for black powder.  It is working well in pistols, pistol calibre rifles, front stuffer and 45-70 sharps.
I have my doubts however about it's effectiveness over smokless powder. I haven't tried it, so who knows it might work there too
Butler Ford