Author Topic: Only one rifle  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Only one rifle
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2012, 09:11:01 PM »
30-06, for the game I would need to bring down, at the distances required.  Birds, and small game can be brought home with snares.  If it was a survival mode I would snare Moose and Caribou as well.  And Bears.

Yea I could do it with a smaller gun, but why.  Use enough gun, no surprises.  Still want to take a Grizzly with a .17HMR, but doubt that will ever come to pass.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 03:30:42 AM »
.22 Magnum.  I can't believe so many others thought the same way.  Enough bark to let people know it's a real gun, enough power for larger game in a pinch and small enough to carry a lot of ammo.  Gotta remember, in the conditions so mentioned refrigeration might be non existent making smaller game more desirable.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2012, 11:33:22 AM »
.22 Magnum.  I can't believe so many others thought the same way.  Enough bark to let people know it's a real gun, enough power for larger game in a pinch and small enough to carry a lot of ammo.  Gotta remember, in the conditions so mentioned refrigeration might be non existent making smaller game more desirable.
I had the same thoughts at first but said the Hornet as it is reloadable.

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2012, 06:48:24 PM »
.22 Mag... the virtues have already been discussed... but I'll add to the list; you can carry alot of ammo, won't blow-up small game, can take deer, bear, elk with head shots (I have an Indian friend, who has only hunted with .22mag for deer, he has head shot more than 400 and they drop like a stone... I once asked him if he ever lost a wounded deer, he looked at me like I was an idiot and said "Nope.")... This is of course, assuming that the OP's scenario is a "survival" type scenario... which takes reloading out of the equation... YEP... an iron sighted Sportster in .22 Mag gets my vote.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2012, 06:35:26 AM »
Of course if we didn't have to stick with H&R or NEF I would just pick a Savage 24 with .22 Magnum over 20 Ga.  That is one gun, right?

Offline keith44

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2012, 07:16:41 AM »
Of course if we didn't have to stick with H&R or NEF I would just pick a Savage 24 with .22 Magnum over 20 Ga.  That is one gun, right?

Well if ya wanna play that way, I'll take a Drilling, 20 ga / .22 Hornet / and 9.3 x 74

;)
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline evidrine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2012, 07:32:32 AM »
Two situations come to mind. The first being a straight forward survival situation. Here I would suggest a caliber that will allow you to carry as much ammo as possible .22lr, .22mag, .17hmr, etc. (Never know how long you will be out there.) All capable rounds and enough to last you for as long as you need. The other would be a "when the sh*t hits the fan" type of sitution. Here the amount of ammo you can carrys is not your only concern, but also availabillity. I would choose something that I know that I have the best chance of finding in the glove box or floorboard of an abandoned pickup or even in drawer of a house and still be packable. My vote goes to the .22lr. Both common and if used right deadly on most game.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2012, 04:27:55 PM »

Well if ya wanna play that way, I'll take a Drilling, 20 ga / .22 Hornet / and 9.3 x 74

;)
I see your Drilling and Raise a Verling
12X12 over 308 with a 22LR in the rib.

Offline keith44

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2012, 09:00:49 PM »

;)
I see your Drilling and Raise a Verling
12X12 over 308 with a 22LR in the rib.

Well if you're buyin, and supplyin the ammo, I'll take two  ;D
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Lost Farmboy

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2012, 09:56:06 PM »
  I don't understand the question. If only one gun I would have a hard time choosing between a 12 ga pump and a 357 mag lever. If I had a 357 Max handi with a 12 barrel, I'd take the handi and both barrels. The light changeable barrels of the handi is it's strength.
A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.   John F. Kennedy

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" -Ronald Reagan

“So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause.”  Padme Amidala