Author Topic: Stumped Tracker ?  (Read 610 times)

Offline geartow

• Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Stumped Tracker ?
« on: February 10, 2012, 02:08:29 PM »
Was looking at a 12G Tracker today the barrel was marked cylinder bore and it had rifle sites. BUt it looked to have a rifled barrel the riflings looked to be very shallow . The shop owner said it was so the bore would not foul up shooting Fosters .Any knowledge of this ?

Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Stumped Tracker ?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 02:13:04 PM »
Was looking at a 12G Tracker today the barrel was marked cylinder bore and it had rifle sites. BUt it looked to have a rifled barrel the riflings looked to be very shallow . The shop owner said it was so the bore would not foul up shooting Fosters .Any knowledge of this ?
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  Don't know..I sure hope it isn't some Marlington quality issue !  Some of the Brenneke lead slugs are supposed to be  OK to fire in rifled barrels..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline geartow

• Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 02:14:26 PM »
It was a used 2009 Vintage.
Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 05:35:34 PM »
That is how the Tracker II's are marked is with Cylinder bore and also having the rifled barrel.  My 20 gauge Tracker II accessory barrel I got back about 12 years ago is marked that way and also a 12 gauge Tracker II that I saw in the gunshop used this afternoon.  It was a model made well before Remington took over.  Also, shooting rifled slugs through the barrels with lead to some leading, but nothing that a little Chore Boy on a brush won't take care of.  They do shoot alright until the barrel gets leaded too much though.
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 06:51:51 PM »
Some slug barrels had microgroove rifling for a few years.  Like 12 smaller lands if memory serves.  Tracker II's all are rifled and it is typical to shoot only sabot'd slugs or lead full diameter slugs through them, ie. soon to disappear Remington Buckhammers.  There was at one time a Tracker I that was a smoothbore with rifle sights.  This is what you'd want to use for fosters or brenneke typically.  You CAN use them in the rifled version, but you will most likely spend a lotta time cleaning up leading and probably will only get a couple good shots  before clean-up is necessary.
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 06:14:06 AM »
I have the pre-Tracker I 'Buck' barrel smooth slugger 12; it is a vicious kicking beast with regular Foster type loads. I would recommend a 20, but, since that 12 is available, and the rifling is shallow (it will be easy to clean up) I say go for it. If you dont like it, somebody here will! I think it might shoot the inexpensive Foster loads well.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974