Author Topic: Santorum on State's Rights  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Santorum on State's Rights
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2012, 09:05:10 AM »
there's parents who always know where their kids are and what they are doing.  but sooner or later another relative will turn them in to the police and the kid will be released from the closet.
kids are smarter than people give them credit for. and they know how to work it.

That may be true for you, it wasn't for us. But then we are a traditional family. My wife was full time homemaker, instead of being out at some job trying to keep up with the Jones'. We home educated, and we stayed connected with our kids. We did without things we couldn't afford instead of gong into debt so bad that all our time was taken up with working to pay for "stuff". Now they are adults and are passing on the values they learned.

That's my personal experience, if you think that's wrong, then that's just sad. ( I will admit that I had a slight advantage........I was the worst juvenile delinquent in a 10 county area when I was growing up.........so I knew what to watch for to prevent my kids from heading down the wrong road)

"teach a kid to hunt and you'll never have to hunt the kid"
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2012, 09:26:41 AM »
there's parents who always know where their kids are and what they are doing.  but sooner or later another relative will turn them in to the police and the kid will be released from the closet.
kids are smarter than people give them credit for. and they know how to work it.

That may be true for you, it wasn't for us. But then we are a traditional family. My wife was full time homemaker, instead of being out at some job trying to keep up with the Jones'. We home educated, and we stayed connected with our kids. We did without things we couldn't afford instead of gong into debt so bad that all our time was taken up with working to pay for "stuff". Now they are adults and are passing on the values they learned.

That's my personal experience, if you think that's wrong, then that's just sad. ( I will admit that I had a slight advantage........I was the worst juvenile delinquent in a 10 county area when I was growing up.........so I knew what to watch for to prevent my kids from heading down the wrong road)

"teach a kid to hunt and you'll never have to hunt the kid"
my wife was a homemaker until our daughter started kindergarten, then she went to work for the school system so she could be with our daughter.  she was under close observation until her last two years of high school.  guess what, she did things right under our nose.  if a kid can't fool you, then you must be about the smartest guy in the whole world.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2012, 09:32:51 AM »
Forwarned and forearmed, huh?  ;)

A downside of having wife stay home, and esp homeschool the kids... is that if she decides to bail out of the marriage, you've screwed yourself by setting the precedent, supporting her to stay home... she'll have the state as her de-facto advocate to force you to continue paying to keep her at home.

Be very careful marrying, young men...
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2012, 09:41:32 AM »

my wife was a homemaker until our daughter started kindergarten, then she went to work for the school system so she could be with our daughter.  she was under close observation until her last two years of high school.  guess what, she did things right under our nose.  if a kid can't fool you, then you must be about the smartest guy in the whole world.

LOL!!!!!!!!!! Again, you seem to think I'm making claims that simply aren't so. Did I ever claim my kids never never broke the rules? Hmmmm???? Did I?

Nope! And guess what? My boys got spanked when I caught them......sometimes. Like the smoking in the back shed incident.....I just let them suffer the consequences.  ;) Or the time they went swimming in neighbors pond and got the itch! :o BUT, I always made sure they understood that there are consequences, and I NEVER had to go hunting for them because they were out running the streets. AND, the issue of pregnancy was never an issue because they knew better and they understood the consequences. Raising them in a small town enviroment helped too. Folks in rural America look out for each other...........I'd have known if things got that far out of hand....which is a parents job...knowing!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2012, 09:46:16 AM »

Forwarned and forearmed, huh?  ;)

A downside of having wife stay home, and esp homeschool the kids... is that if she decides to bail out of the marriage, you've screwed yourself by setting the precedent, supporting her to stay home... she'll have the state as her de-facto advocate to force you to continue paying to keep her at home.

True! I was careful! :)

The upside, when I had the heart attacks, and my insurance (government employees insurance that everyone thinks is so wonderful) didn't come close to covering the bills, she went back to work. The boys were raised by then so no big issues there. By refinancing, along with the second income, we got solvent again in two years.........I chose wisely! ;D

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2012, 02:10:38 AM »

Reminded me of what the disciples said after Jesus explained to them what marriage is all about, "if that's the case, its better to never marry at all!"

Its sad so many are skeptical of others success in family matters. I have to come to it with the understanding that if God exists and His word is true, then doing things as best you can His way will produce far better results than the rest of the world experiences. So I'm not skeptical when I read the success of others in marriage or child raising - I just see it as confirmation of God's existence. And for those whose results aren't as successful, I just see that as opportunity for God's grace.

And to seque back into the original topic, I think skepticism is why many, including Santorum, are not constitutionally grounded. They feel that they have to centralize control and micro-manage in the name of a good result. When the system is already in place to produce exactly what you want, if you'll just let it be. It requires trust and trustworthy people. We don't need legislation to fix the problems, we need to raise a generation of trustworthy individuals. And we don't need social services to raise that generation - we need good families. And those families don't need to worry about building fences around their kids, they need to ground them solidly so even when they do stray, they don't go far. And there's only one way to ground the solidly, and that's faith. Faith is a matter of the heart, not behavior. So shepherd a child's heart, and the 10th amendment will work just fine. That's the way it was designed by the authors.
held fast