Author Topic: Zombies??  (Read 1233 times)

Offline scratchmark

• Trade Count: (90)
  • A Real Regular
Zombies??
« on: February 11, 2012, 02:11:56 AM »
Can anyone tell me what the deal is with all the zombie crap here lately? i mean kinda freaks me out a little. went into a couple gun shops yesterday and thought i was in a halloween shop because of all the zombie targets all over the walls. they even have guns and hornady now has bullets and ammo advertised as zombie killers. We teach our kids to never point a gun at people and then the gun companies themselves are now encouraging it. as adults of some age, we know the difference, but if i was to take a grandson in there, what does that say to him. sorry bout the rant.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should atleast find ya handi

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Zombies??
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 03:17:24 AM »
i am for it if they are wearing turbines.

Offline xhare

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 03:21:18 AM »
Clearly it is the latest marketing bandwagon.  I was looking for a scope recently, and I found one I was interested in, until I saw the Zombie nonsense all over it.  No sale, that is for sure. 

Lets just hope this passes soon. 

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 04:51:33 AM »
Kids are attracted to colorful figures and action. Most of us never truly grow ALL the way up, we got our grandson some video games for christmas, they are military types, and some hunting games. In both you score "points " by shooting either people or animals. Ever hear of such a thing, scoring POINTS on an animal  :o ??? ::) By age 18, when we would give him his own M4 or whatever, and send him to somewhere on a map he has never heard of, to shoot people he does not know, and that have never done anything personal to him, he will be able to with great gusto. At least for the first few days or weeks. Dont worry about zombies, it may get a few people into the shooting sports. If you just tell new prospects that they can go into the woods, be very quiet, set for weeks in a tree, with and wearing expensive gear, all to shoot one animal( that has none of the chemicals or additives that flavor commercial meat), that they must UGH!!! clean......, pay to have processed and packaged, and then after tasting will probably donate to the food pantry at the church. That will really bring them in ::) If you get them into shooting, you can then redirect and expand their horizons to more traditional and productive pursuits. Otherwise, its video games and delivery pizza.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 05:18:06 AM »
Can anyone tell me what the deal is with all the zombie crap here lately?

CDC Warns Public to Prepare for 'Zombie Apocalypse'
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 05:22:45 AM »
One zombie hunter shot Bill Murray so the zombie craze can't be all bad.   Yeah, I know, it was just in a movie, but I can dream can't I. ;D

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline siamese4570

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 05:40:16 AM »
I agree that this zombie thing is a bunch of nonsense thought up by a bunch of marketeers.  One too many episodes of walking dead.  That's why your momma told you not to play with marketeers!  That being said, when my brother in law made fun of me for having so many guns, I reminded him whose doorstep he would be on if it ever happened.  Mine!

Siamese4570

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 05:49:21 AM »
There have always been the Zombie movies Dawn of the dead to the Resident Evil movies.  And all the spoof movies of Zombieland and Shawn of the Dead.
The story I heard was that the 20 something crowd was not taking emergency preparedness seriously so on one of the government websites someone toook the emergency list for fire and earthquake and stuck Zombie on it. 
It ignited a spark of Zombie this and that.  If the Zombie targets and ammo get younger people off the X Box and out to the range what harm is it?  We add shooters to the population and they vote. 

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 06:02:17 AM »
Have you met the average 20 something x-box addict?? I'd prefer they stayed on the x-box and off any range I am on.

Not all are morons, but many are and I don't want em around me.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 06:18:27 AM »
Have you met the average 20 something x-box addict?? I'd prefer they stayed on the x-box and off any range I am on.

Not all are morons, but many are and I don't want em around me.
But it is a perfect time ot teach them.
Last week end I was at a local range and getting ready for an upcomming pig hunt.
The guys that set up next to me were my age and they had a young man with them,  The guys were playing with an M1A scout ot SOCOM 16 and tryingto get the rifle to shoot where the scope was pointing.  I pulled out a 22 Rifle set up the bench on the other side of me and at the next cease fire I posted some animal targets.  at the commence fire command I handed the Kid two boxes of 22's and asked if he could hit the ground hog.    he was hesitant at first but we set up some sand bags and got him hitting the target.   He was making deciuent groups at 100 yards with the little 22 and poking holes all over the critter.  I worked with him a little on position and he also shot my 22 Hornet and 223,   His comment to me was the real thing is a lot harder than X Box.  And I agree as a group the 20 sometings are kind of scarry. But single and under supervision, not bad.  His father thanked me for taking the time with him and as I was leaving he got up from the bench he was shooting his father's friends tricked out AR, came over shoook my hand and said thank you.

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 06:34:34 AM »
We teach our kids to never point a gun at people and then the gun companies themselves are now encouraging it. as adults of some age, we know the difference, but if i was to take a grandson in there, what does that say to him. sorry bout the rant.
You can't start too early explaining the difference between reality and fantasy, every day offers learning opportunities. Even a four year old kid understands pretending and reality are different. When did you start playing cowboys and indians? Anybody die?

The entire Zombie thing is a marketing tool. For those who don't like CAS. We offer you ... Zombie Apocalypse, yes folks step right up. We have this game on both Play Station and X-Box, don't forget to pick up the new action thriller DVD. For those of you with way too much 5.56 NATO, 12ga 00 buck shot, and 9mm ball why not bring those action games to life with these bleeding targets ? Don't try and tell me CAS is any less silly. Dress up like Festus and Matt Dillon to shoot rifles twenty yards with light pistol ammo? Tactical SAA Colt scenarios, shooting pump shotguns with only two rounds thereby needing a "tactical" reload?

Don't misunderstand, I have no problem with the games. I can see that they are games though, I certainly think my kids could understand they are games as well. Point out the zombie stuff to Junior shake your head tell him you think anyone over ten playing make believe is an idiot and move on he'll get the message.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 08:24:12 AM »
Umm did "bird shot" come out right after the movie The Birds or was it before that?  ::)
I think it all kind of weird but I HATED the semi auto black guns too until my kid got one. Now I wish I had one just for the next pig hunt in a pig type caliber...
Until then my Handis keep reproducing like bunnys in the safe, I am almost thinking of getting them all fixed as I am running out of room. But like they say there is always room for pie, I guess there is always room for barrels..
Good luck on the quest for ridding the world of Zombie advertizing, I would rather see those ads than all the politicians ads.... At least some Zombie commercials have a happy ending.
thejanitor

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 08:28:28 AM »
There is a popular show on AMC maybe all about ZOMBIES.. not too bad... There the popularity of that girl the model... she was also in that Bruce Willis film about the end of the world...(Futuristic) I  cannot rem the names but its in its 3 or 4Th sequel...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline twoshooter

• Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 04:07:13 PM »
People need something to take their minds off everyday s.........tuff. I had some time so I wandered around here today into some corners I had never ventured into before. There are some really high blood pressure areas out there, a few zombies could probably help with that, or maybe Buff the Vampire Slayer. I guess we should be glad there is not "Hedge Fund Manager".
OMG, maybe there IS and I just dont know it. I have GOT to get back on that medication.

I think I will respool some line and contemplate life for awhile. Later.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 11:58:54 PM »
Whenever a craze, a product, or advertising for the product offends me, I do a simple thing.  Ignore it and don't buy it. This Zombie crap is a perfect example.  If I want to get someone interested in shooting, I set out a bunch of water filled or frozen jugs, invite them over, give them a quick course on the basics, put a mild kicking rifle in their hands and let them have at it.  A while back a young man whose family farms my place stopped by.  I was shooting the .45-70 off the back porch.  I was amazed.  A farmer who had never handled a rifle.  I said "Layton, wanna try it?"  He said "Sure".  Again, gave him the basics, ear protection, what to expect from recoil, and pointed at the 300 yard gong.  I said aim at the top of it.  Bang....Klang.  He was absolutely stunned.  Couldn't believe what he'd just done.  He said he never thought you could hit something that far away.  He didn't turn into a Handiholic, but sometimes when he hears me shooting, he'll show up for a few shots.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline RobertInIowa

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 12:39:22 AM »
I'd say it's just a fad  8) . Like an inside joke for the young folk. I saw Hornady's Zombie MAX TShirts somewhere, thought about getting one just for a gag. I'll have to admit, it was a bit funny.
Guns don't kill people, fathers with pretty daughters do.
Two wrongs don't make a right,....but three comes pretty close.
Proud NRA member.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 01:02:30 AM »
Personally, I am more worried about an attack of the GIANT ARMADILLOS than a Zombie! They attack and pillage our beer trucks ;D
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline Papa Jack

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 07:21:43 AM »
If it ain't Zobies it's those dang Vampires, I don't know which ones are worse....... One load for Zombies, then ya gotta switch over to Silver bullets for the Vampires.... Where's the Lone Ranger when we need him ?      :(           "PJ"
Viet Nam Veteran, 69-70, Troop D (AIR) 3/4 Cav. 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI. Helicopter Crew Chief UH-1H.

Offline oldsoldja

• "what ever you do, dont smoke."
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • endeavor to persevere
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 08:43:20 AM »
It  seems you must shoot zombies in the head to kill them. Just a heads up.
TDC, 2x TJC, 7x57, 3030mann,.356,300aac,.30carbine,2x50-70, 375win,243 fluted,30-06 ported, 454 casull,270 fluted.458wm,7mm-08 shorty,223 shorty,35 whel,16g folder, 357talo, 45colt carbine,35 rem,22250 fluted, 4570shorty, 22hornetshorty , 357max, 17m2,7.62x39, 12g fluted slug, 450 marlin, 22mag, 22lr,10g camo, 38-55, 17hmr custom, 410g, m48 16g,44 mag talo,410-12m, m8-12g, m158 20g, 22jet ,wh 45-70 bc,.280,58 50 45 MLS, 12g folder,4x 30-30,3x17hmr,m4816g,410,.308,45-120,3x204 fluted, 20gslug, 25-06,12g ported slug, 20g ribbed, .270ported, 22h mann, 500shorty .357.444,20g,45-70,223,12g, 7.62x39 shorty, 20g greenwing, 500sw talo, 4x 45-70 bc, 22khornet

Offline kaveman

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 08:48:58 AM »
I will chime in on the topic, I have a five year old daughter and a ten year old son,  they both love to shoot the girl her daisy bbgun custom painted in a pink and black zebra pattern that she helped me design, my son shoots a pardner 20 gauge youth, and several .22 rifles, this year was his first year hunting with loaded gun, he got his first dove and rabbit so he has been exposed to harvesting and processing game, now to point of the thread the zombie advertising really bothers both of my children, my daughter literally runs and gets scared , my son gets sick to his stomach if he sees a commercial for the show Walking Dead which airs on AMC, so do I , I feel that the zombie craze is not needed, and was upset that hornady jumped on the band wagon, so in my my house no Zombies!!!! I will not by products that reflect that theme.  Sorry if seems like a rant, just feelings from a concerned father
                                                                                      Kaveman

Offline oldsoldja

• "what ever you do, dont smoke."
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • endeavor to persevere
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 08:53:45 AM »
If it ain't Zobies it's those dang Vampires, I don't know which ones are worse....... One load for Zombies, then ya gotta switch over to Silver bullets for the Vampires.... Where's the Lone Ranger when we need him ?      :(           "PJ"
I dont think silver bullets work on vampires, I think they are for werewolves. I keep silvertips in my 357 24-7.
TDC, 2x TJC, 7x57, 3030mann,.356,300aac,.30carbine,2x50-70, 375win,243 fluted,30-06 ported, 454 casull,270 fluted.458wm,7mm-08 shorty,223 shorty,35 whel,16g folder, 357talo, 45colt carbine,35 rem,22250 fluted, 4570shorty, 22hornetshorty , 357max, 17m2,7.62x39, 12g fluted slug, 450 marlin, 22mag, 22lr,10g camo, 38-55, 17hmr custom, 410g, m48 16g,44 mag talo,410-12m, m8-12g, m158 20g, 22jet ,wh 45-70 bc,.280,58 50 45 MLS, 12g folder,4x 30-30,3x17hmr,m4816g,410,.308,45-120,3x204 fluted, 20gslug, 25-06,12g ported slug, 20g ribbed, .270ported, 22h mann, 500shorty .357.444,20g,45-70,223,12g, 7.62x39 shorty, 20g greenwing, 500sw talo, 4x 45-70 bc, 22khornet

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 09:44:45 AM »
http://www.hornady.com/ammunition/zombiemax

they still make the  old ammo  for those without a sense of humor

neither  zombie  or traditional ammo will work  on vampires  or wear-wolves

tradotional ammo will work fine on zombies

vampires and  wear-wolves bullets  are stickly limited to hand loaders
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 11:00:42 AM »
http://www.hornady.com/ammunition/zombiemax

they still make the  old ammo  for those without a sense of humor

neither  zombie  or traditional ammo will work  on vampires  or wear-wolves

tradotional ammo will work fine on zombies

vampires and  wear-wolves bullets  are stickly limited to hand loaders
One day at the old range a guy we shoot with had a shovel and was digging in the back stop.
Being the Club Safety officer at the time I aske what in Hades he was doing.  He said that some one had ordered some 500 S&W silver bullets and he had shot one that was bout 1/2 and ounce of silver and he wanted it back.  It went through the target and his home made back stop and into the berm.  I jokingly asked if he was a warewolf hunter and he said no but the j=guy that ordered them was.  He was making 45 colt silver bullets that he sold for cowboy action people for their Lone Ranger get ups when some on ordered the 500 S&W loads.  Silver is really hard and not a good round for handguns.
My Dad had a friend that was given a German Generals Walther P-38.  It had Wooden bullets with the gun.  When I asked why Mr Ring said he did not know but would ask the General.  the story I got was that the Bullets were handed to him to meet with Hitler and it was an insult to have a General surender his side arm.  He never saw the need to replace them.  Mr Ring hired the General as a tool and die maker for Avon to make the soap dies and he gave Mr Ring his side arm as a thank you when he got to the US.
Now I wonder if the wooden bullets were Vampire rounds...  ::)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 11:26:27 AM »
The use of wooden bullets by the German Army has been discussed before, especially in military forums. Here is one link to some info:

www.militaryphotos.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-40095.html   not definitive in any way but some fodder for discussion....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 11:31:09 AM »
The use of wooden bullets by the German Army has been discussed before, especially in military forums. Here is one link to some info:

www.militaryphotos.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-40095.html   not definitive in any way but some fodder for discussion....<><.... :)
These were for a 9mm the the bullets were for cerimonial purposes.  The P-38 was beautiful, Ivory grips, and inlaid with silver and gold.  The Wood bullets just stuck out.  As I remember the cases did not have primers.

Offline cowboyup453

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (82)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 05:03:04 PM »

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 07:00:07 PM »
I "think" this Zombie stuff is nonsense... BUT just in case I made four zombie specific weapons (.22 LR SBR semi-auto's) and stored up 25,000 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag HP's and 20 BX-25 magazines... plus four 870 extended pumps with ten cases of 2 3/4" high brass lead BB's... I won't say where I live, because if the Zombie Apocalypse does happen, I'll have enough friends and family banging on my door!  ;D
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.