Author Topic: Big bore-Your thoughts please  (Read 1975 times)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: Big bore-Your thoughts please
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 04:54:21 AM »
Just a heads up; dont be fooled about whats 'available'.....you have to actually call or e-mail somebody and find out if they have it. Ive been greatly disappointed and frustrated to find out what I wanted is on 'backorder' with unknown delivery. With odd run stuff, if you find some, buy all you can afford, the makers seem to be always dropping out.
For this reason I have determined to stick with cartridges based on readily and abundantly available brass.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 05:32:17 AM »

Just reading along here and it set me to wondering, if you heavy caliber/man stomper fans are young or old?  I can only stand the recoil of a 3" mag. 12ga. slug from the bench about 3-4 times or a 338/250grainers, and I've got enough of it for a while. I have never considered myself a wuss but compared to ya'll I guess I am. lol
  I remember in the 70's, I think it was, I saw a Weatherby Catalog and it showed a little woman who shot tigers and other big game with a 460 Wby. Mag. .   I still can't understand that!

my hat is off to ya'll
  HM

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2012, 06:03:25 AM »

Just reading along here and it set me to wondering, if you heavy caliber/man stomper fans are young or old?  I can only stand the recoil of a 3" mag. 12ga. slug from the bench about 3-4 times or a 338/250grainers, and I've got enough of it for a while. I have never considered myself a wuss but compared to ya'll I guess I am. lol
  I remember in the 70's, I think it was, I saw a Weatherby Catalog and it showed a little woman who shot tigers and other big game with a 460 Wby. Mag. .   I still can't understand that!

my hat is off to ya'll
  HM

I'll be 40 in June.   Recoil never really bothered me because I was taught how to hold the gun and how to "roll with it."   I'm not saying it doesn't hurt, but you can minimize how much it hurts you.

You don't fight the recoil - because you will lose.  You just work with it. lol    Making the gun heavier helps a lot.  So does the design of the stocks. 

RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2012, 09:08:07 AM »
I just use the Leadsled for bench work, I've never noticed any recoil when hunting, even shooting turkeys with 12ga 3½" 2¼"oz loads, so recoil while hunting isn't a concern.  ;) Some sled users have complained of broken stocks while using sleds, but if a fella uses a little common sense and doesn't use too much weight in the sled, just enough the take the sting out of the recoil, it works great. For normal heavy recoil rounds like Ruger loads in the 45-70 or the 500S&W Handi, I don't use any weight on the sled, just the weight of the sled itself, but I do tie a stretchy ¼" nylon rope between the front of the sled and the front of the bench leg which provides some give, but slows the sled down and makes extended shooting sessions possible, the sled isn't anchored in place which could be bad for the stock. For the 499HE, I may need to add some weight to the sled, but I'll try it first without it.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2012, 11:34:43 AM »
I also don't use any weight in my sled, nor do I restrain it in any way,
I am 54 but like knight said, I learned when I was little to hold tight against the shoulder and give with the gun.
I have to admit that the sled has made it much more fun shooting off the bench.
Limb Savers, a little extra weight in the stock, heavy barrels have all helped over the years but I still say the design of the stock has more to do with felt recoil than anything else and the Handi stocks seem to fit me the best!!!
Even my 19" H&R 12ga in 3" mag with #4 buck isn't bad now that it has a Limb Saver on it.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2012, 11:42:26 AM »
There's an ulterior motive for adding the restraining rope, it moves back at each shot, sometimes I forget to push it back forward after each shot and the back foot ends up slipping off the bench when I shoot. At the range I used to shoot at on a narrow concrete bench, one of the front feet would also come off the bench which puts it on the floor if I don't catch it, so I just use the light rope to keep it from happening, works kind like an additional shock absorber too.  ;D

Tim

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2012, 02:48:40 PM »
If it was just the shoulder pain it wouldnt be so bad, but it racks your whole upper body, especially the neck (picture the coyote on The Roadrunner when his head stays in one place while his body is......), then there is the 'detached retina' thing. You gotta figure what parts you can afford to wound or lose before engaging in any risk exercise. Healing, if at all, gets slower with age.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2012, 06:07:54 AM »

my hat is off to ya'll
  HM

Awh put yer hat back on.  I NEVER bench a kicker!!  For me rolling with the recoil, having enough weight in a gun, and having a properly designed stock with a good recoil pad are my big secrets. 

Other than that recoil is measured in pounds feet of impulse, the longer the impulse the more it just feels like a push.  Larger bore rifles using slow powder that operate at lower pressures just push (some push real hard)  Small bore, fast powders, in large bottlenecked cartridges seem to have a shorter impulse and more sudden jarring recoil.  (to me any way)
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline gunther66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2012, 10:10:09 AM »
Well , Brass is on the way. I am somewhat put off by the price of the RCBS dies ( $ 260+) and Hornady hasn't answered my email. Who else should I try for these dies? 250 nitro express #2?  G66
"There is nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse"  Ronald Regan

NRA Life Member since '72

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2012, 10:15:03 AM »
I'd order the 450 #2 dies from CH4D, 450 #2 express I think is how they list it, $166.12.

Tim

http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/dies/caliber-list/?field=desc&query=450

Offline gunther66

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2012, 10:30:35 AM »
Thanks Tim
Sometimes it's almost scary when we realize the combined knowledge here on GBO.  G66
"There is nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse"  Ronald Regan

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2012, 11:53:15 AM »
Might try the nice folks at Lee ,they offer a custom die service .
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2012, 12:51:47 PM »
Don't bother with Lee, they only offer neck size dies and only up to a maximum of .555" case head(short mags), the 470 #2 is .577".

Tim

http://leeprecision.com/custom-services/custom-rifle-and-handgun-reloading-die-sets/

Offline gunther66

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2012, 02:18:56 PM »
Just a quick update. Brass came today.Dies are in the mail. The barrel gets boxed and mailed hopefully tomorrow. This is gonna happen!  G66

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2012, 02:23:03 PM »
Kool, Ed Hubel got my 500 barrel today, so it won't be too long for me either! ;)

Tim

Offline gunther66

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2012, 03:32:57 PM »
When ordering dies,I spoke with Dave at CH 4D.  He said he has the 450 NE #2 in an 8 1/2 lb double (Kodiak) and he dosen't shoot it much as the recoil is BRUTAL !!!
I guess I am a glutton for punishment. Maybe I've already scrambled my brains with some of the other Loudenboomers.  G66

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2012, 03:41:24 PM »
g66,

Keep us posted, you & Quick got the gears turning grinding in my noggin'. ::)

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2012, 08:48:22 PM »
Kool, Ed Hubel got my 500 barrel today, so it won't be too long for me either! ;)

Tim

and you will be bringing it to Ky so I can decide if it is worth it when...?

g66,

Keep us posted, you & Quick got the gears turning grinding in my noggin'. ::)

BB

+1

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA