Author Topic: MY 5 Must have Items I use for CCW  (Read 1795 times)

Offline PAHUnter04

• The Hunters Hut
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • The Hunters Hut
MY 5 Must have Items I use for CCW
« on: February 11, 2012, 08:03:53 AM »
Hi Guys:

After having a CCW permit for about 35 years you kind of learn the hard way what really works and what does not. When I do carry I always try and have these 5 items with me. Especially if it is an all day carry or inner city visit.

(1) Naturally FIRST is to have a firearm with you to begin with. I must admit I am a true handgun enthusiast so my firearm will vary from a minimum of a .380 Ruger LCP all the way up to a 329 PD .44 mag.

(2) Some kind of holster is a must. The Mexican carry of just sticking a pistol in your belt is an absolute last resort. With all the great holsters on the market today it is easier to pick one style that fits your needs. It could be (IWB) inside waist band, (OWB) outside waist band, clip, belt loops, or paddle. Small of back, shoulder holsters, belly bands and concealment vests, the choice is staggering.

(3) Is a knife. I am very partial to Kershaw USA not the China made blades of at least 3.5 inches long. You can use it as a last ditch effort as a back up weapon to your firearm. Or to even cut your seatbelt off in an emergency in case of an accident. Or even as a letter opener...LOL The POINT is to always have one with you.

(4) A spare clip or quick release shell holder for revolvers. You just never know when you may need those extra rounds. It may be a case of a pistol jam or magazine failure to multiple assailants. But when and if you need them, you would need them very badly.

(5) Last but not least is a GOOD High intensity flash light. I am very partial to Surefire and have used them for years. I prefer at least 60 lumen's and really like the Defender E2D LED with the strike bezel and the Executive Elite E2e that I have for years. It is an absolute must in dark buildings and alleys. You can also use it to find your keys you dropped or fixing the flat tire on a deserted highway.

I have found over the years that I have needed at least one or another of theses items desperately. So I always try to have them with me.

Here is another little trick that I use all the time. Do you know all those different size cell phone holders in the marketplace today. You know the ones that clip on your belt with a magnetic flap on the top. They come in all shapes and sizes. Well they work GREAT to stick an extra clip, Knife, and even a flashlight in them. I keep one next to each of my CCW weapons. When you grab your CCW piece just grab the cell phone holder with your extras and clip it on your belt. No one will be the wiser if they spot it on your belt, just another cell phone. I actually have four of them, each with a setup for that particular carry piece. I actually got the idea when I got a new cell phone and had a extra one of two cell phone holders.

Just some food for thought. Hang tight and shoot straight..

PAH..

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Accesories
PAHunter04... The Head Hunter... Jim P
email: headhunter-1@hotmail.com

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: MY 5 Must have Items I use for CCW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 08:40:43 AM »
You left off one very important item from your list... your ccw permit/license.   Get caught carrying without it and you're in for a world of headaches.   ;)
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 09:07:30 AM »
CCW permit is always in my wallet, my Kershaw Clash is always in my pocket and my cell phone goes where I go. CCW weapon of choice is my Airweight S&W 38 Special. It stays loaded with my reloads of 180 gr RNFP,s over 4.0 gr of Unique. Have a speed loader full of them that travels with it. A small flashlight and cigarette lighter makes up the rest of the package.   
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 01:20:10 PM »
Mine is a little diff. my GLock 23 on my hip my keltec 32 left front pocket my spyderco or coldsteel or my fav. my custom folder that i had built by a friend that is WONDRFUL!! right front pocket i do carry a flashlight a small LED.

Offline EdK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 01:21:09 PM »
You left off one very important item from your list... your ccw permit/license.   Get caught carrying without it and you're in for a world of headaches.   ;)

Some places yes, some places no...

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 01:41:48 PM »
The first three are no brainers, the knife has resided in my pocket since about 6th grade. The other two not so much. An extra mag occasionally, if I feel the need I question why I'm going there in the first place. Yea, yea, I know about failure drills etc., over 3000 rounds without a failure, I'll risk it. Flashlight? I ain't no cop and if I need a light, well, again I'll risk it.

Full disclosure means the mag and light are in the car in my "purse". I rarely leave home without it, it's my truckin' supply bag, meds, light, multi tool, sunglasses, pens, logbook, couple of granola bars, Thermos coffee cup, Gold Bond powder, work gloves, teethbrush ;D  , maps, you know all the stuff a modern man needs to survive!
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline pspinc2003

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (21)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 03:53:04 PM »
For Godsake I'd have to wear a duty belt rig to carry all that crap...,,live on the edge a little man...shove that gun in your pocket and go!!

Offline PAHUnter04

• The Hunters Hut
  • Avid Poster
    • The Hunters Hut
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 04:59:43 PM »
Ya know...it's not really all that much stuff. That's why I suggested the cell phone carrier clip on. I do allot of traveling, in state and out. The knife I always find a use for. The damn flashlight saved my life once, so I don't discard it. I usually have that little surefire executive stuck in a jacket pocket somewhere. And yes the first three just seem common sense.

My CCW permit is always in my wallet along with my drivers license and credit cards, that is just a gimmie.

There is another handgun forum that advocates nothing less than THREE CCW handguns, and I don't mean just for for LEO's  ??? To each their own I guess.

This is just my main items and what I feel comfortable with. Like I said I have buds that just grab a piece and stick it in there belt, throw a jacket on and go.  :D

You have to decide what's right for you, these are some of my carry items.
PAH
The Hunters Hut

Offline hillbill

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 07:42:30 PM »
For Godsake I'd have to wear a duty belt rig to carry all that crap...,,live on the edge a little man...shove that gun in your pocket and go!!
my gun  and maybe sum extra shells. if it a really bad area ill include a razor sharp lock blade of sum type.prob my old buck with the broken tip filed down.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 08:52:06 AM »
My 'every day survival kit' is my CCW, a pocket knife and my cell phone.  I have other stuff in my vehicle but these few simple items are all I generally carry on my person.  I usually don't even carry a spare magazine because I figure if 11 rounds of 9mm won't get me out of a fix I really need to be someplace else or I should have brought an AR and a dozen armed friends.   ;D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline tinman

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 08:58:45 PM »
of course you need a knife!  how else are you going to get the protective covers off  those    toys you buy the grand kids.

Offline tt4617

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 03:52:00 AM »
My 'every day survival kit' is my CCW, a pocket knife and my cell phone.  I have other stuff in my vehicle but these few simple items are all I generally carry on my person.  I usually don't even carry a spare magazine because I figure if 11 rounds of 9mm won't get me out of a fix I really need to be someplace else or I should have brought an AR and a dozen armed friends.   ;D

I'm with Brett. I don't understand people packing up like they are going to war. If I thought I was going somewhere that I would need all that, I probably shouldn't be going there. To each his own, but I carry my firearm to protect mine, myself or an innnocent in grave danger. I feel as though, by carrying, we are exercising our 2nd amendment right and making those who would do harm, think twice before attempting harm to someone who "might" be carrying. I believ the right to carry, in itself, makes our world safer. I am prepared to use my firearm if the need arises, and moving tosafety as quickly as possible. I don't see myself in a bloody drawn out battle coming down to using my home made knife in a last ditch effort to survive.
Not bashing anyone, but I feel as though sometimes we watch too much tv.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 04:03:21 AM »
I was thinking the same thing.
"Honey, I'm runningto the store have you seen my bat belt?"

Offline jimster

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 10:51:39 AM »
I can't carry too much stuff especially in the summer time, besides my carry gun and a reload, my keys have a Swiss Army knife attached, can't fit too much more.  But there is one thing I always have in my glove box of my truck, concelaed carry laws, and a letter from the state police that explains the laws in case you have a cop who does not know them.  It could come in handy...? 
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

Offline hoggunner

• Avid Poster
    • 4A's Personal Protection Training
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 01:31:48 AM »
I have about 1500 rnds thru my M&P 40c my EDC although I have not had a hic-cup with this gun I do believe a extra mag should always be carried. I believe this more for malfuntions then for the extra rounds. Just like you will never know when or where the bad guy is going to hit you, you also never know when your gun or more often your mag is going to let you down.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 02:28:20 AM »
OP had some good ideas . I carry a J frame , speed strip, benchmade, pocket holster and light. Been doing this for years now. Would feel naked with out one. The light gets used a lot !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 10:32:31 AM »
J frame and speed strip, Swiss Army knife, no light, except in the glove box.  I got too many choices on which gun to carry, but it seems it almost always is the pre-lock nickel finish Model 36.  I reckon a man ought to carry a bigger gun.  When I do go big, it's a .44 Spl.   

Offline PAHUnter04

• The Hunters Hut
  • Avid Poster
    • The Hunters Hut
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 05:15:53 PM »
Yeah Bat Belt you guys are pretty funny. ::) I was a store manager and owner of a few businesses for many years. And when that phone rang at O 2 dark thirty and it was the alarm company saying they just received a burglar alarm, what you think I went to the call with? Hell hun just hand me my letter opener. The Police were always called, by the alarm company and by me if they weren't there when I showed up. Sometimes I even backed them up. I knew all the Leos well.

A surefire flashlight at night in a dark alley can be a life saver, ask me how I know. I once was the first person at the scene of a pretty bad traffic accident. The driver side door was open and the driver was pretty banged up. The smell of gas was worrying me as I got closer. The guy was strapped and trapped by his seat belt. My 3.5 inch razor sharp Kershaw did the trick on the belt. Luckily the car never went boom. Oh and by the way I was just on the way to the store to get a gallon of milk.

Sometimes ya just never know...

PAH
The Hunters Hut

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 01:43:30 AM »

+1

I've had a pocket knife on me since I can remember, and the pistol is a recent add-on.  Keys, knife, phone, pistol, wallet. That's basically my checklist for heading out. I have other stuff in the car if I need it.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 03:16:42 PM »
I figure a person takes what makes them comfortable and gives them the confidence they need for what they are doing. I wouldn't take any more nor anyless.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.