Author Topic: Anyone successfully use an air gun scope on a center fire rifle?  (Read 713 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Anyone successfully use an air gun scope on a center fire rifle?
« on: February 12, 2012, 09:03:34 AM »
I recently traded my RWS 52 springer air rifle with a 4X Leapers air gun scope for a basic Henry .22.  I went with the Leapers due to the reviews and the RWS springers are very hard on scopes and wanted something that would last.

What amazed me was the clarity of the Leapers scope, and I paid very little money for it.  This got me thinking...if an air gun scope is designed to hold up to the double recoil of a springer air gun, surely it would be ok for a .308 cal. rifle?  I found a fellow on You Tube who said that air gun scopes are not good beyond 200 yards due to poor optical clarity.  Truth is, I only shot my pellet guns at 50 yards max. on a regular basis, sometimes up to 100 yards, but the pellet drop was too much.

Anyone use an air gun scope on a center fire rifle, and if so, how did it work out for you? 

Thanks.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
Re: Anyone successfully use an air gun scope on a center fire rifle?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 05:52:04 AM »
Can't speak for the Leapers scopes themselves from experience.   They are praised by the gang at the airgun forum I run as being one of the best for springer's, make cartridge rifle scopes as well, so don't see why your scope wouldn't work just fine.    A search for the specs of the model you have should tell you what it can and cannot do.

I have the most powerful "springer" there is, a Theoben Crow Magnum IV, and the scope I bought for it is a Weaver V-16 FCD (which is also rated for springer's).   Haven't mounted it yet, but I've had a few of the V-16's on centerfire cartridge rifles before.   They are bright, clear and are good to go from ten yards to infinity parallax free.   Used them on long range digger rifles before, and they easily did the job as far away as the cartridge in each rifle was capable of (and could have much farther for that matter).

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus