Author Topic: Shotgun 12 Ga - .22 adapter accuracy!  (Read 1540 times)

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Shotgun 12 Ga - .22 adapter accuracy!
« on: February 12, 2012, 09:22:41 AM »
Just a follow up on the thread about adapters.  You may want to orientate your adapter in the chamber each time.  Centerfires will need to be marked with a sharpie or something.  In rimfires I just used the offset chamber shown below in the 6 oclock position.

In the 9 inch paper plate you can see the impact almost mimicking the orientation.  12 oclock was high and left, 3 oclock was right, 6 was low and 9 was even further left.  Range was only about 20 ft too.  The shell size adapter shown on the plate.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Shotgun 12 Ga - .22 adapter accuracy!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 09:39:04 AM »
How about shooting a group of 10 or so all with the orientaion the same, say 12:00 o'clock or 6:00 o'clock since they seem to be the closest to the point of aim, and posting the picture for us with the brand of insert (it looks like a Dinaarms, is it?) and the distance...Thanks in advance....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 11:02:46 AM »
It's a Dinaarms 12 Ga to .22 rf and I did shoot a group.  Moved the second plate out to about 30 feet or so and shot a five shot group with the adapter in the 12 oclock position.  I was ashamed to show it though.  Two totally missed the plate.  My adapter has the ring for the O-ring but they did not include it.  I it was rattling around in that chamber after those first few shots.  Got me excited at first.  Before I set the plates out I took a quick shot from the bluff down to a can in the water in a drainage canal about 35 feet below and it shot water up right at or in the can.  Sights is just the bead floating on the rear frame of my Partner 12 Ga.

BTW the notch in the plate is just to show "this side up".

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 11:16:06 AM »
Thanks for that added info, not to encouraging but information none the less.
I have what I believe to be a Dina Arms 12 gauge to 9mm insert and while I don't know anything about the groove that has been mentioned for an o-ring my insert does have a small line around the body about midway way bewteen the front and rear. I never thought or would think it was for an o-ring to ride againt. My insert does not rattle around and I am able to keep all shots on an 8" paper plate at 25 yards. Perhaps there are some loose manufacturing standards that might account for this discrepancy. Of course I shot my insert (myself and 2 friends all shot it with about the same accuracy) out of an H&R 12 guage Tracker II set up with an inexpensive scope for slug shooting. The scope is mounted on high see through rings and seems to work fine for it's intended purpose. I was hoping the .22 Caliber insert did better than what you expierenced, I am planning on getting a couple to add to my .410 canoe gun or camp gun packages. Perhaps I'll try another manufacturer for my .22 LR inserts....<><.... :)   
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 12:07:08 PM »
Any scope will shoot better then my bead floating around the top of the frame without even a notch to register it with.  My adapter has a ring about 3/4 " from the tip and someone had posted that the Dinaarms had an o-ring.  Just figured that the ring was for that.

The adapter was not rattling around but I would orientate it at the 12 oclock position then after handling the gun a little I would crack the action to check.  It would usually have moved around some so it was not tight at all.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 12:56:16 PM »
Try wrapping the adapter with a piece of paper.  8)  Might tighten it up some for you. 
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 01:56:59 PM »
Try wrapping the adapter with a piece of paper.  8)  Might tighten it up some for you.

Was thinking about a strip of masking tape.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 02:17:46 PM »
I would keep away from tape with adhesive on it and try the paper, cut to the proper length and width first..just a thought....<><....:)

Offline quasne.inc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 05:27:02 PM »
Is there a certain brand of adapter yall think is better than the others?  I see there are a few different ones.  Thinking about getting one in .45 acp or .357 mag.

Offline quasne.inc

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 06:37:14 PM »
Dina arms is the only one that says that the adapter is rifled on their website.  Anyone know if the short lane or shotgunadapters.com ones are rifled?

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 01:51:16 AM »
I do believe Savage made the only great shotgun adapter.  It was called the model 24.   ;D

Offline quasne.inc

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 03:43:57 AM »
jpshaw, if I could find a savage 24 for a decent price I'd pick it up in a hurry. 

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 05:28:21 AM »
jpshaw, if I could find a savage 24 for a decent price I'd pick it up in a hurry.

Me too.  I can't believe a sold a 24C camper a long time ago because I couldn't get enough range out of the cyl barrel.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 06:09:05 AM »
I think some black plastic electricians tape might be the answer to snugging up the adapter. I would want to do the front first and test it, then see if it could take a wrap back at the base. Also, I would want a clean chamber to slip it into for initial trials, though for field use you would want to see how it fits once there is some chamber fouling (though it should be easy to quickly swab out even in the field).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 09:11:23 AM »
JP, you might try to contact Dina Arms about the loose fit of your adaptor. As I have posted I have a Dina Arms adaptor for 12 guage/9mm and it is not rattling around loose in the shotgun chamber at all, it is a nice fit. Perhaps they will exchange it for you for one a bit larger in diameter. Stuff happens when things are made and perhaps a smaller than ususl one got out the door. I don't think I could chamber my insert if I wrapped a piece of paper all around it or wrapped it with tape...good luck and let us know how this works out....<><....:)

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 09:47:28 AM »

Hey jpshaw:

The guncrank1 told you right. Put enough 88 or 33 elec. tape on it, enough to keep it snug, not too tight, if it is a little tight it don't hurt anything. Most of them should have a o-ring for snug fit. I have made serveral since then and all work OK.  The first one that I made, I used the 12ga. shell for dimensions and it was pretty loose, I taped it and it is fine. No rifling means poor accuracy almost always. The rifled ones are a little more accurate, all are fun if you don't expect too much in the accuracy dept. lol
  HM

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 01:55:21 AM »
Oh I don't expect too much out of them.  I was hoping for 10 yds but I may have to except 20 feet after tightening up but that's OK for a $20 shooting accessory.