Author Topic: 24 Pdr Coehorn Scaled to 1" Bore  (Read 786 times)

Offline The Jeff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
24 Pdr Coehorn Scaled to 1" Bore
« on: February 12, 2012, 11:38:03 AM »
Here's a project I've been working on for the past few weekends. I'm following CU_Cannon's 12 Pounder plans but scaled to end up with a 1" bore.

I had a hunk of 1-15/16" 1018 round bar left over from building a 1" bore mountain howitzer a while ago, so I started going through my folder of cannon plans to see what would fit. A Coehorn mortar seemed to be the best use of the material. I drilled a .48" diameter hole through the center near one end to eventually take the .5" trunnion.

Next I turned down the cylinder to the maximum outside diameter, and faced off the two ends to the right length relative to the hole for the trunnion.

Next I drilled the 1" bore, and a .45" powder chamber. Since the entire thing isn't cast, the trunnion cuts into the meat of the tube. To keep the 1:1 ratio I had to drill a pretty short powder chamber. Its maximum capacity is 16 grains.

Next I turned the outside profile...

...and welded on the trunnion. It looks worse than it is because it's a bit out of focus. I cleaned the joint up with a dremel and files, then smoothed out the transition from tube to trunnion with Bondo. I'm not sure why I went to so much work because most the joint will be inside the mortar bed.

Next I made the mortar bed. It's just made out of poplar, but I really don't intend to shoot this piece much. I cut the ends on a 45º to get rid of most of the wood, then used a router table and a round over bit.

Then I inlet the tube into the bed. I drilled out the rectangular section with  a 7/16" Forstner bit and then cleaned the mortise up with a few sharp chisels. Then I thought I'd just wing the curved section because it honestly it couldn't be that hard. After a few minutes of that I realized it really was that hard so I got a candle to coat the tube in soot. After placing the tube into the bed, I shaved off the resulting black spots with a gouge. About 2 hours and 3 singed fingers later, I had it at 45º.

Using my grade AA kitchen counter top and super precise measuring instruments to insure it's 45º  ;D

On to the hardware. I bought some 8-32 square nuts off McMaster-Carr and used my scrap pile of reject CSS Virginia armor plate to make the trunnion straps and handles. I've heard lots of members here complain about how time consuming the handles can be. Naturally I didn't think they'd be all that hard to do, but I quickly found out they were right! I didn't keep track of time, but I'm almost positive I spent more time on the handles than I did the tube. I thought about only making two sets and then just taking pictures of one side of the mortar. ;)

All the parts. The 8-32 threaded rods are just cut off bolts epoxied into the mortar bed.

Annnnddd the obligatory powder can shot!

And here's a video of the first shot. 16 grains FFg, a wad, and 1oz of birdshot. Thanks for reading!

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Re: 24 Pdr Coehorn Scaled to 1" Bore
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 12:00:56 PM »
The Jeff,
When you say "I got a candle", what do you mean?  Did you burn it out? :o
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 12:04:06 PM »
I assume he was blacking the barrel to check for fit.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 12:07:24 PM »
The Jeff,
Zulu

It's one way to inlet a barrel onto a stock. You put the barrel in the flame and built up a layer of soot. Then set it into the stock and the high spots will scrape off some soot. Then you take a gouge and shave off the black spots. Rinse and repeat for 2 hours and if you are careful enough you'll have a perfect barrel to stock fit.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 01:02:15 PM »
The Jeff,
Zulu

It's one way to inlet a barrel onto a stock. You put the barrel in the flame and built up a layer of soot. Then set it into the stock and the high spots will scrape off some soot. Then you take a gouge and shave off the black spots. Rinse and repeat for 2 hours and if you are careful enough you'll have a perfect barrel to stock fit.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
I'm impressed!
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 01:57:11 PM »

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
I'm impressed!
Zulu

Thanks Zulu, but it's not hard, just time consuming. I'm not sure how they carved out the bed for the real deal. I can't imagine they'd want to lift the 164 pound tube on and off the bed too many times.

And thanks Double D for my first Kewpie!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 04:54:40 PM »
My guess is they had a special cutter that was the shape of the back end of a Coehorn mortar and did most of it mechanically.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 09:59:42 PM »
Nice looking mortar; verrrry Nice! Congrats on earning a Kewpie!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 03:40:45 AM »
Forgot to mention in my previous post, nice looking mortar.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA