Author Topic: The Singles---model history?  (Read 720 times)

Offline 4-12-2

• Trade Count: (0)
The Singles---model history?
« on: February 12, 2012, 02:31:13 PM »
Guys, am sorry to trouble you if I'm missing the obvious somewhere here.

I'm looking for a model history of the H&R single shot shotguns.  I have a Mdl 88 but am seeing a bunch of other numbers even though the guns appear outwardly "similar", if not identical.

Since I so far can't seem to find it myself, would appreciate any help you guys can offer.  I'm just wondering if "there's anything to tell" between these various models.  My Mdl 88 doesn't include the word "Topper" or "Pardner", yet with my gun made in 1983 I know well that those names appeared decades before.  I wonder why my gun has none?

THANKS, fella's!

John
It's all good fun until somebody looses an eye!!

Offline TxGun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Retired
Re: The Singles---model history?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 03:30:57 PM »
Edit.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 05:15:51 PM »
The model 88 was made by H&R Inc as opposed to the current mfr of H&R firearms, H&R 1871. H&R Inc went out of business in 1986, see the H&R timeline sticky above. One of our H&R historians may have some more info to share.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 4-12-2

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 08:23:02 AM »
Thanks for moving to correct section of the forums, Tim.

I hadn't seen the timeline.  Will enjoy reviewing that and hope maybe someone will see this thread and add some Model 88 specific info.

Thanks again!

John
It's all good fun until somebody looses an eye!!

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 05:32:18 AM »
John,
The full history of H&R shotguns of all types and models can be found in "THE BLUE BOOK OF GUN VALUES"  by Steve Fjestad in any of the editions from the 29th, up to the 33rd which will hit the shelves in April 2012.  Listed in the H&R Arms Inc. section - they are layed out model by model, years of production, major features, etc and a short history of the single barrel guns.  It is currently the "best" compilations of H&R shotguns.  Note older editions can usually be found at gun shows and usually sell for $10, rather than 40 - 50 bucks for the newer or current edition.  Good luck.  The info is far to complicated and long to type out on this thread.
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012