Author Topic: Mystery Gunpowder  (Read 663 times)

Offline kcajeel

• Trade Count: (0)
Mystery Gunpowder
« on: February 13, 2012, 05:45:37 AM »
A couple of years ago I needed to reload some 223's and on the advise of my father-in-law (Max), I purchased 8# of WC 844 as a substitute for H 335. Max had a class 8 reloading license and I figured he knew what he was talking about since he reloaded a lot of 223's. He said the WC 844 was a replacement for H 335. Recently Max died and I still have the powder but no expert advise. I now want to load those 223's. Does anyone know anything about this WC844? How about some loading tables or suggestions?
Thanks,
Jack Lee

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Mystery Gunpowder
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 08:53:43 AM »
If you honestly think wc844 is a mystery powder then don't try to use it.  There is nothing mystical about it.  The canister equivalent is H335 and that data can be used safely as long as you follow all the rules.  There is no set in stone load data and 844 has been used in many different forms over the years so variations in lots can be important to be aware of even more so than a canister powder.  Don't let anyone give you a load and think you can use it without working up your own loads, it just ain't safe.  Start out with H335 starting loads and a chronograph and a lot of common sense and it will all work well but don't trust anyone else's data as gospel. 

Offline kcajeel

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 05:23:21 PM »
Thanks for the information. I knew I'd get help here.
The "Mystery" was only used because I needed to name the message and I thought it was appropriate. I couldn't find any listing of that powder in all the loading manuals I tried.
Thanks again,
Jack Lee

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 01:26:07 AM »
it burns pretty much like 335 but it varys a bit lot to lot. Some lot numbers ive had are a tad faster burning then 335.  Id start with 335 starting loads for the bullet weight your using and work up slowly. Its a real good powder and will give some excellent accuracy.
blue lives matter

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 07:49:16 AM »
As stated above, it's pretty much the same. I load my 223 with WC844 and WC846 without any problems. Just work up loads as normal and you shouldn't have any problems.

I actually purchased an 8lb keg of each for $64 about 10 years ago.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 10:45:29 AM »
I actually purchased an 8lb keg of each for $64 about 10 years ago.

8# is a jug.  4 months ago 40# kegs were $360 and I'm told that price will still be good in April. 

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 01:35:55 PM »
who sells data powders??
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis