Author Topic: does this make me a handiholic?  (Read 935 times)

Offline troy5775

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
does this make me a handiholic?
« on: February 14, 2012, 12:05:52 PM »
I completed my first stub project today ( will try to post pics later). I have a thing for the pistol caliber handi rifles. I have all of them but the 500. I have been wanting a 9mm Luger handi so I made one.
I found me a used 20 gauge at the local gunshop, picked up a 9mm/357 barrel with a 5/8 outside dia. and 17 3/4 length from numrich and a 223 ejector from the same place. I then ordered a reamer from brownells.
I cut the shotgun barrel after the lug with a hand held Rigid tubing cutter and then used a rod in my cordless drill with emery cloth on the other end to hone out the inside diameter of the stub until the smaller barrel could be pressed into it.

Offline LedLobber

• Maker of Smokeless Smoke.
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: does this make me a handiholic?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 12:11:10 PM »
Wow! Sounds INTERESTING! Post some Pics for the rest of us to Drool on! :)
I like BIG Boolits.

Offline troy5775

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 01:54:25 PM »
I drilled and tapped the stub before I inserted the new barrel for a scope rail. I used a mig welder to tack the barrel to the exit end of the stub where the forearm hides it. I had the barrel in the freezer first and only put on a small weld so that I wouldn't damage the barrel inside. I also put a few small welds on the face of the barrels on the chamber end and ground them down flush. I took it out and fired a couple of test shots, blued it, mounted the scope and shot about 20 shots total to get the scope zeroed and to test it. I had to thin the ejector a little and notch the barrel for it.
I have to make sure the shell catches on the lip of the ejector when loading since it isn't rimmed (close the barrel partially) or the shell falls all the way in under the ejector.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 02:13:20 PM »
great project ya got go'n there troy !!!

hey u beena handiholic......you jus now relized it  ;)

sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline troy5775

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 02:24:16 PM »
trying to add pics but the site aint co-operating

Offline troy5775

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 02:26:13 PM »
here we go with some more

Offline troy5775

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 02:32:58 PM »
All I need now is to mark the barrel.
My wife came out for the first test shot to make sure I didn't blown any body parts off. I held it out from the body and turn my head while I shot the big cotton wood out back ;) 
I put several holes in a Dr. Pepper can from 30 yards after I zeroed the scope in. The 223 ejector is the perfect length. I just had to grind it down thinner on the back side.

Offline troy5775

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 05:36:40 AM »
I am thinking of doing a 30 carbine or a 7.62x39 next. I think the 30 carbine might be safe on a sb1 frame at 38,500 max pressure. I would have to do the other on one of my sb2 frames.

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 07:07:24 AM »
Troy, great project, and great ideas for the next.. and the next... and... well you know!

And as far as I can tell just asking this question..."does this make me a handiholic?"... makes you a handiholic!  ;)

I'd say even if you have only one handi, and have at least thought about taking the forearm and barrel off and swapping for another forearm and barrel, just to see how it looks, you have the handiholic bug. Everything else just defines the degree of handiholism. You appear to be a rather advanced case. Congratulations.  :D
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline troy5775

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 01:17:24 PM »
I have been switching barrels and stock sets for years. I have even bought complete rifles for just the stock sets. I have laminated sets on most of my handis. Now I need one for this one. I have a youth pallet wood  laminate on my carbine classic 45 (I bought it on here with a tupperware set on it that had to go). If I can ever find a decent deal on the proper stock for it the set would be transplanyed to this one.
Yup, I have the bug.

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 02:22:16 PM »
hmmm might have to head to pawn shop i been wanting a 30 carbine i have lots of brass and dies i might just have to try this,wonder what twist i should use
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline troy5775

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 02:33:21 PM »
hmmm might have to head to pawn shop i been wanting a 30 carbine i have lots of brass and dies i might just have to try this,wonder what twist i should use
I have seen a few ar and ak replacement barrels for decent prices. I wonder how one would do for a 30 carbine project?

Offline troy5775

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 02:45:32 PM »
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdetail.aspx?id=AK-BLANK
I was looking at these but I wouldn't be able to put this one in a 20 gauge bore.

Offline troy5775

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 02:17:13 PM »
I took it out yesterday and put about 60 more rounds through it, mostly into old soda cans. I have it dead on at 25 yards and it drops at 100 yards. I am using a small  low power scope and have the hold over figured perfect for this. I don't know about MOA but it is M.O.Coke Can.
 I am having occasional issues with the extractor not bringing the hull out with it. Any ideas, I was thinking I might have to go to a longer extractor if I can find one. Or would the BB under the spring help on this?

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 01:45:08 AM »
Is it an extractor or ejector? There are fixes for both in the FAQ'S.The longer roll pin works very well for repairing the ejector, and the extractor fixes work well too.
Good luck
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline troy5775

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 12:47:58 PM »
It is an ejector, I had read the FAQ before but I went over them again. I added the BB and a shim under the ejector. We fired 20 rounds and only the first one was missed this time so maybe I got it right. This has been a fun learning experience.