Author Topic: any opinions on Viper Vortex 6.5-20x44 scopes  (Read 1751 times)

Offline supertodd

• Trade Count: (1)
any opinions on Viper Vortex 6.5-20x44 scopes
« on: February 15, 2012, 11:27:33 AM »
Is the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 any good. I saw online you could get these for 279.00 Just wondering if they are any good. I was thinking for my 264wm and with that magnification I could really get dialed in at 300 yrds. Or am I better off with my leupold 4-12 germ post #4 which I have on the gun rt now.

Offline Tikker

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: any opinions on Viper Vortex 6.5-20x44 scopes
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:34:47 PM »
I just bought one over the weekend from the site your talking about. I wasn't sure how they were myself so i did some research for reviews from buyers on sites like MidwayUSA. You won't find other sites selling this scope with the V-Plex Wide reticle so just read what people say about the other ones. Its all the same model so what they say will hold true with this one.

From all the reviews i read, I didn't find anyone who didn't like this scope. From my understanding is that Vortex discontinued this reticle but did a limited run for CameraLand & had such success they did another this year. For the price of the other reticle models - Mil-Dot & BDC @ $429 its hard to pass up on this kind of sale. Its the same glass as they use so it will be of high quality.

I like the fact it has a 30mm tube. The V-Plex Wide may not be the best for hunting as the lines are on the thin side and may get lost easily in low light conditions. I picked this up for my Savage 10fp since its more of a tactical setup and used mostly for paper punching. I would have loved a Mil-Dot but for the price i can't complain.

Your Leupold seems to have a good mangification on it, but if you feel you really need the extra zoom the Vortex may be what you need. Just make sure the reticle is right for you. Also, if you do any short range shots then that 6.5 power may be to high to keep a good view of your game. My advice is look for something that has a BDC for a quick hold over placement in the field. Which scope there really depends how much you want to spend on glass.

Hope that helps.

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 12:22:49 AM »
I would like to hear some comments on the 6.5-20 as well. I do have the 2-7 Vortex Viper and really like it. For the price it seems very tempting.

Offline supertodd

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 08:36:16 AM »
Thanks for the comments- I have had that situation where thin lines disappear at low light and dont like it-thats when you see game. I was ready to buy one of the scopes and you talked me out of it.

Offline Tikker

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 06:12:10 PM »
Glad i could help out, keep us posted if you decide to change out scopes.

By the way, what kind of groups are you getting with the setup you currently have? I always liked the thought of using a german post but never bit the bullet.

Offline Joe S.

• Trade Count: (30)
  • A Real Regular
  • The poisonous mushroom!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 05:30:14 PM »
Thats a d@mn good price!! I dont like scopes in that power range but that is tempting to buy just to put up if i ever build a rifle strictly for the bench.

Vipers are nice. Vortex is really doing some good stuff
Joe S.
Central MS

"An armed society is a polite society."

redistribute work ethic!

Offline supertodd

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
I couldnt resist the price- I bought one- it should be here this week I hope-I figure it would be great on my 264 win mag

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 12:48:53 PM »
I just bought one from Camera land, and if it's as nice perfomance wise, as it looks, it will be a winner.

Offline supertodd

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 09:04:38 AM »
very nice scope- I need to get to the range and sight it in

Offline Tikker

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 05:46:43 PM »
I got mine as well, very nice scope for the money. I was able to pick up a slightly used DNZ scope mount off ebay for half the price of new.

Should be taking it out this Saturday to sight her in. I'll post pic's of how it does.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 03:13:16 PM »
I just mounted one on a Howa 30-06 today. I'll take it to the range to start the sighting in process on Friday. Might have to get another one for a .223 Remy that's currently wearing a Leopold 2-7. Seems like a great scope for the money.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline GLShooter

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 01:54:45 PM »
I bought two of them from Camera Land for my F-Class AR rifles I was building. I've been using one of them at 500 yard matches and am tickled on how well it does. The adjustments are spot on and the clarity is very good.

I've taught M/O's with some great scopes over the years and this Viper would do well against them.  Mine is the V Plex but I would not hesitate to get a Mil Dot. I may well do that as I have my eye on some precision/tactical matches and the MD's would be very useful there.

Greg
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do!

Offline dirtydawg

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 06:18:27 PM »
Mine is scheduled to arrive Friday the 25th I will be mounting on a TCR83 in 22-250 with redfield base do need Med. Or highrings?????

Offline GLShooter

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 06:23:31 PM »
Mine is scheduled to arrive Friday the 25th I will be mounting on a TCR83 in 22-250 with redfield base do need Med. Or highrings? ??? ?

Depends how high you hold your head. I'm pretty straight up so I prefer high rings. I would think the mediums might crowd you on that platform but it does come down to personal preference. 

Stature of the shooter can make the decisions for us.

Greg
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do!

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 07:01:42 AM »
How much of the bullseye does that German Post cover at 300 yds?  I think you could shoot better at that range with a recticle that did not block out so much target area.  For no other reason, the new scope might be better if that is your primary use.