Author Topic: Handi with a Bipod?  (Read 419 times)

Offline Clint KY

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Far West Kentucky
Handi with a Bipod?
« on: February 15, 2012, 07:03:48 PM »
In the picture thread there are some photos of Handis with bipods mounted on the forward sling swivel.  I always wanted to do that but was under the impression that resting the rifle on the forearm (as a bipod would do) would severely affect the accuracy. So should I or shouldn't I?  And if I do, what can I do, if anything, to make it  work?

Clint in Kentucky
Clint
Western Kentucky

Offline LedLobber

• Maker of Smokeless Smoke.
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Handi with a Bipod?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:15:59 PM »
I have mounted a Harris Bipod on my .223 Handi, and .25-06 and .308 Ultras with no effects on accuracy. I have done a TON of shooting with the Bipod attached, whether actually using the bipod, or shooting offhand with it mounted, and had no ill effects. Just my personal experiences though.
I like BIG Boolits.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 11:39:13 PM »
Try it for yourself!

You will NOT perminantly effect accuracy one way or the other.

IF its not good remove and chalk it up to experience. OR invistagate the hows and whys and try to fix so you CAN utalize the bipod.

Many CAN use it some cannot... Its all about how well your forend is fit to the barrel.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 07:28:15 AM »
I had the same concern when I put a bi-pod on mine!  But I figured like Brie said, no perminant change so why not.   :-\

Mine shot so good now I'm afraid to take it off!   :o
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline jeneks84k10

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 07:55:31 AM »
I didnt notice a difference with a bipod on my heavy barrel .223 or my .22 sportster. However, it turned my 1" groups into 4" groups on my .22 hornet.

Offline Clint KY

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Far West Kentucky
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 08:05:51 AM »
Thanks all - I really did not want to spend the $40 to try it and find out it made the gun too inaccurate to be of any use.  If there is no (or little) cost involved I will normally try stuff for myself, but I like the advice of those who have "been there and done that".

Clint
West Kentucky
Clint
Western Kentucky