Author Topic: fore end  (Read 474 times)

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
fore end
« on: February 15, 2012, 07:19:11 PM »
i see alot of talk about problems with the fore end. why not just glass bed it .? that's what i did seems to work fine

Offline LedLobber

• Maker of Smokeless Smoke.
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: fore end
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:27:12 PM »
Out of the 5 Handis and Ultras I have owned, I have Never had ANY fore end problem. Never had stringing, or ANY accuracy problems, pertaining to the fore end what so ever. So, I just leave them alone. :)
I like BIG Boolits.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
There are lots of "fixes" for forends. Many have problems associated others do not.

Glad glassing yours did the trick! Others have said the same, still others found no answers...  It can be one of those "mystery" things, for some guys...

Personally, I have never seen one I could not make better with some kind of adjustment. I would NOT call all problems.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 11:34:10 PM »
I just plop an "O" ring on the stud on all of them, needed or not.  No problems.

Pete

Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Jim Flinchbaugh

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 06:05:28 AM »
There are lots of "fixes" for forends. 
CW

Has ANYONE ever figured out just what exactly the forend problems are rather than just trying stuff till they get it to shoot?
There has to be an underlying issue here (if there is an issue). It is a very simple assembly, cant be that difficult to come to a reasonable solution.
The "O" ring, what could it possible do, except move the contact point from a wider area to a smaller concentrated area? It is still going to apply pressure to the underside of the barrel. In my mind, the thing that would have the msot effect is the plastic piece on the forend that goes to the action/frame. If this doesnt fit properly, then I can see it putting leverage on the barrel.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 06:23:19 AM »
There are lots of "fixes" for forends. 
CW

Has ANYONE ever figured out just what exactly the forend problems are rather than just trying stuff till they get it to shoot?
There has to be an underlying issue here (if there is an issue). It is a very simple assembly, cant be that difficult to come to a reasonable solution.
The "O" ring, what could it possible do, except move the contact point from a wider area to a smaller concentrated area? It is still going to apply pressure to the underside of the barrel. In my mind, the thing that would have the msot effect is the plastic piece on the forend that goes to the action/frame. If this doesnt fit properly, then I can see it putting leverage on the barrel.

SURE!  It's no big mystery. ANYTHING touching the barrel has the ability to effect its accuracy.

The handi is a two piece stock.  Most all such rifles have these problems keep the wood off the steel is best. BUT sometimes there is no way around the contact. This is the case with the Handi. The barrel attaches to the barrel. SO the option is to make the contact as minimal or as consistant as you can. Pillar bedding, glass bedding and consistant screw torque are some methods. "O" rings keep the barrel away from the forend so the contact is only at the lug and screw.

Every gun is different there for every one responds differently to these "fixes"

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 07:21:43 AM »

You ain't from around here is you boy...  ::)

Heck fire!  Half the fun of these rifles is gettin them to shoot the MOA I think they are capable of!   ;D   Shoot!   :(   If I get one that shoots iti biti groups outa the box (like my .223) feel cheated!   ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club