Author Topic: Effective range for a .50 Cal Huntsman  (Read 979 times)

Offline northkid

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
  • A Real Regular
Effective range for a .50 Cal Huntsman
« on: February 18, 2012, 02:38:48 PM »
Never shot one 100-200 yards be a fair shot with one and do you shoot sabot loads from your or maxi-balls.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Re: Effective range for a .50 Cal Huntsman
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 06:04:31 PM »
I sighted mine in for a 100 yards.  I use the All-Lead 240grain (TC Cheapshots) Hollow Points with a black (Mag Express Sabots) sabot (which comes prepacked with the Cheapshots). 

I have been able to get 1" groups with two 50grain pellets of Triple 7.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 06:08:19 AM »
northkid,

Depends on a bunch of variables,
Weight and Type of bullet or sabot
Powder type and charge volume
Optics or open sights
Offhand or rested shot
and last but not least the ability of the shooter.
My huntsman is capable of acceptable accuracy to 200 yards when shot from a rest.  In a hunting scenario I would probably not take a shot at much over 100 yards.

BB

RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline KIMBER45

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 08:25:55 AM »
I would put a one hundred yd. max. on my sidekick. One hundred yds. should kill a deer every time.
"In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway."__Mother Theresa
-----------------
Not everyone will understand your journey. That"s fine. It's not their journey to make sense of. It's yours.
--------------------------------
Hawkeye: My father warned me about you...
Chingachgook, he warned me about people like you. He said "Do not try to understand them".
 "do not try to make them understand you. That is because they are a breed apart and make no sense".
-------

-------

Offline Paints-n-cows

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Avid Poster
  • Once a Marine, always a Marine
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 03:17:22 AM »
I shoot loads with Shockey's Gold 100 grain loads with the 300 Hornady sabots.  With this load, I have killed deer at 183 yards and 197 yards this year.  These were on stationary deer with known wind conditions from a good rest at a properly ranged distance. 
I have a friend that is 82 years old and last year, he shot a 6 point at 176 with one of my Huntsmans (he is a good shot and has grown attached to my Huntsman...I have to load it for him before he goes to the timber and after the shot).
These shots are not for everyone but if you can judge distance and understand how to make a reasonable shot, they are possible.