Author Topic: mental comfort  (Read 847 times)

Offline Mike in Virginia

• Trade Count: (0)
mental comfort
« on: February 19, 2012, 08:29:37 AM »
I was in a large parking lot walking for exercise last week while my wife shopped in one of the stores served by the parking lot.  I took a turn down a wide area between two buildings.  A compact car came from nowhere and stopped about 25 yards from me.  Black guy driving, white passenger.  The passenger yelled at me, "Hey, you wanna buy some girl scout cookies."  I told him, "No," and kept walking.  The driver kept pace with me.  Passenger said, "Come over here and try a sample."  I kept walking.
A few minutes later, in another part of the complex, the same car with Ohio tags approached and the passenger again asked me if I wanted to buy some cookies. 
I saw the car no more until a few minutes later after I was back inside my truck.  4 city polce vehicles pulled in and there was stuff going on in the car I couldn't see, except that the driver dove into the back seat. 
Don't know what their story was, but one of the officers told me they were definitely not selling cookies.  It's time like those when we all are comforted in our minds by knowing we have a way out if situations escalate.  I had a 9mm with me that day, an a reload.  Great comfort to know that anytime we're out, we can meet headon the threats that arise in seconds, much faster than we can go back to our vehicle and get a gun.  The bad guys pick the time and place, and never is it in our favor, so we owe it to ourselves to be ready every minute.  Watch where you are and whose around you and pay attention to ordinary crap that somehow doesn't fit.         

Offline pspinc2003

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (21)
  • Avid Poster
Re: mental comfort
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 08:36:44 AM »
Wow, thanks for sharing...that could have gone bad really fast.  Glad it turned out like it did!  Carry on, brother (in more ways than one!)

Offline shot1

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 10:47:48 AM »
I help teach a class for the handgun carry permit in TN. I try to drum into the students that a gun in the car does you no good when you are out of the car. Carry that weapon on you all the time. On the part about the guys in the car. It really takes a dumb a** these days to confront someone with intent of harm or robbery like that. You never know who is carrying a weapon and will blow you away. Most of these thugs are so brain dead that they can't think reasonable.

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 01:06:33 PM »
I carry 24/7. If your weapon isn't where you can reach it when you need it then it's not a weapon is it? It's just a weapon wannabe! Nowadays it's called "being aware of your suroundings." We always just called it "being street smart." ;)

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 02:08:15 PM »
Situational awareness.  Problem is, it can't be taught.  One can refine their abilities but you can't learn beyond your born capabilities.  I've been around too many people who never see anything new no matter how long they have been in a certain situation.  Such folks will never see what they need to see in a bad situation.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 01:00:38 AM »
Someone reprted this incidence----it is good to have a cell phone and do this. It helps us all.
Glad you are safe.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline lester

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 03:13:23 PM »
Never carried until about a year and a half ago.  Came back from an Army tour overseas where I carried both pistol and rifle 24/7/365 in all conditions, on the FOB, out on mission, etc.  I live in a rural state but also in arguably the worst neighborhood in the state.  After a month home feeling vulnerable I now carry a Ruger LCP 24/7/365.  Mental comfort is good now.....
Lester

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all my hunting and fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 02:20:51 AM »
What state do you live in Lester?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 03:19:52 AM »
What state do you live in Lester?
Blessings

His bio says Vermont.

Offline lester

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 02:28:48 PM »
Old Syko is right, I live in Vermont.
Lester

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all my hunting and fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"