Author Topic: Article on scrapped "1814" cannons in MI needs facts check-help me see the photo  (Read 593 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Here's a recent news article which I was able to open and read, but it is supposed to have a photo with it which does not show up on my 'puter no matter what I do.  The article has many errors of fact, see how many you can find, but some questions would be answered by looking at the photo.  If you can resurrect the photo and place it separately here I'd greatly appreciate it, curiosity is killing me.
http://www.grandhaventribune.com/content/strange-gh-war-1812-cannons-never-saw-battle-until-recycled-1943

Offline exlimey

• Trade Count: (0)
If  they were Brass / Bronze i,m surprised they lasted that long, as most Naval pieces were Cast Iron, being cheaper and lighter. We have an 1841 Howitzer in a local cemetary that has survived because some one had the forsight to paint it black; ergo "Must be Cast Iron" not worth the bother. I have often wondered how many more are out there !

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Actually, I believe bronze cannon are lighter.  Bronze wears more quickly in use (and can easily be recast) but is several times as expensive.  I believe in 1812 it was like a 5X differential.   A huge difference in outfitting a fortress or ship of the line.
Bronze was still prefered in the smallest sizes like swivel cannon if they could be obtained...  my guess was the lighter weight made them easier to handle when deploying to the fighting tops or rails.

Offline lendi

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
location is sackets point ny.  this is on the st lawence river.  there are many more cannon in kingston ontario across lake ontario.  word has it that when the brits and americans came to peace they each agreed to sink their fleet with cannon. (so we were told).   there is great diving in this area.  if you have the opportunity, the war college in kingston ontario has cannon everywhere on their grounds from the various wars in the area.

lendi

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
I looked at the source for that Grand Haven web page you gave the link to and I could not find any images other than the advertising ones already visible on the page.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
G2, thanks for trying.