Author Topic: Primer for 35 whelen?  (Read 475 times)

Offline fbates

• Trade Count: (0)
Primer for 35 whelen?
« on: February 20, 2012, 03:10:36 AM »
i'm new to reloading rifles.  have reloaded 410's for the boys.  i got a Lee Anniversary loading kit for Christmas.  going to get 35 whelen dies.  I live in MS and use the 35 whelen throughout the hunting season

what is a good primer to use with 35 whelen? 

I've been having FTF issues with Remington factory ammo and always wanted to reload rifle ammo.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: Primer for 35 whelen?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:05:19 AM »
I use CCI Large Rifle primers in mine.  RL15 as well and generally 225gr bullets.  The Nilgai in my avatar was killed with the 35W and 225gr TSX.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 04:21:16 AM »
My favorite primer for any accuracy loading is the Fed match primer. But I ah e had excellent results with CCI BR primers as well.

I agree with Doug, RL15 is a top preforming powder in my 35 Whelen loads as well!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 11:34:58 AM »
in hammer guns that may be prone to light pin strikes, use federal they have a bit thinner/softer cups. I see youre from mississippi, where at, Im in booneville.