Author Topic: Wondering or Wandering mind...  (Read 460 times)

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Wondering or Wandering mind...
« on: February 21, 2012, 10:39:03 AM »
I like to check my handloads in whatever gun they were loaded for. Last nite, I was checking a hand full of my 45ACP reloads to make sure I'd gotten my OAL issues straighten out. I was dropping the shells in to the cylinder, which was out of the frame, to make sure they were okay. I noticed that the shells were wiggling in the holes. Now, when fired, to me, the wiggle could/would have to bullet canted which would have it jamming into the cone at a cant. Possibly causing leading or bad accuracy.

Me, being the rightbrained lefty that I am, decided to try partially or neck sizing a case that had been fired in this revolver. Worked like a charm! Snug but not tight and the wiggle is all gone. In my mind the bullet is now centered and ready to make the trip down the barrel straight. If this works with the ACP shells, I may give it a try with my 45Colt shells also.

Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill or have any of ya'll ever noticed this? I wouldn't attempt this with shells were going to be shot from an auto. I know they need a little wiggle room to cycle.

Any thoughts or advice here?

Thanks
HWD

Offline .22-5-40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Wondering or Wandering mind...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 02:36:53 PM »
Hello, huntswithdogs.  I too "neck size" my .38 spec., .38 long-colt, .32WCF & .45long colt brass.  I size to where base of bullet sits in case.  Centers brass like you said, & alot easier & faster sizing!..As a matter of fact, I do the same with my single-shot rifle ctgs. 

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 03:28:01 PM »
As long as you aren't shooting in different firearms, this works fine.  Just like using a collet die on a bottle necked case.  If there are multiple firearms involved, however, you have to be careful about getting in to jamming and or pressure issues if it wasn't the firearm that shot the first time.  I have to full length size my .45 acp because they get shot in 3 different pistols and all have slightly different chambers.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 07:31:44 PM »
That's the way I size my 45 colt loads. It stands to reason it would just as well with any straight wall case from a revolver.

Bruce
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline huntswithdogs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 03:13:03 AM »
Thanks guys! Whew! I'd hoped that I wasn't the onliest one who'd considered this. After I shoot up the ones I have loaded now, I'm gonna give it a try.

HWD 

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 11:52:11 AM »
I like to check my handloads in whatever gun they were loaded for. Last nite, I was checking a hand full of my 45ACP reloads to make sure I'd gotten my OAL issues straighten out. I was dropping the shells in to the cylinder, which was out of the frame, to make sure they were okay. I noticed that the shells were wiggling in the holes. Now, when fired, to me, the wiggle could/would have to bullet canted which would have it jamming into the cone at a cant. Possibly causing leading or bad accuracy.

Me, being the rightbrained lefty that I am, decided to try partially or neck sizing a case that had been fired in this revolver. Worked like a charm! Snug but not tight and the wiggle is all gone. In my mind the bullet is now centered and ready to make the trip down the barrel straight. If this works with the ACP shells, I may give it a try with my 45Colt shells also.

Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill or have any of ya'll ever noticed this? I wouldn't attempt this with shells were going to be shot from an auto. I know they need a little wiggle room to cycle.

Any thoughts or advice here?

Thanks
HWD
HWD

Me thinks you are over thinking this too much  ;D 

By the time the bullet starts to move from the case , pressure has already expanded the brass to fill the chamber and your all centered and good to go .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline huntswithdogs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 07:23:12 AM »
That's entirely possible, Stimpy. My brain has a habit of getting kicked off course right easily. Things just run in there sometimes and IT'S ON THEN! Can't get rid of them until I try it or sound it out on somebody. My wife says it's 'cause I'm a lefty. She said once she'd like to know just how my punkin worked. I told her she couldn't handle it. She stared at me for a moment and said maybe she'd just retract that statement, 'cause for once, I was probably right!
Thank ya'll for your support and info.

HWD