Author Topic: Which handi for whitetails  (Read 747 times)

Offline NYRebel13

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Which handi for whitetails
« on: February 21, 2012, 04:05:40 PM »
Which of these 3 would be better for whitetails, 30-30, .357mag, or 7.62x39?  All 3 have open sights and this would be my shorter range rifle since I already have a .308 bolt action for long range.  I have been wanting a .357 Handi to go with my revolver.  Would I be limited to higher priced commercial ammo for the 7.62 or is milsurp or wolf accurate in one?  Does the .357 gain velocity in the longer barrel?
My biggest fear in life is dying and my wife selling my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Yak Angler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: Which handi for whitetails
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »
All 3 will work fine for whitetail at reasonable ranges. Since you already have a 357 revolver that would be my choice of the 3 you listed.

Offline NYRebel13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 04:35:45 PM »
The thing is, I already have the 30-30 but have been wanting a 357.  I can't afford to get one without selling the 30-30 or at least the barrel to help pay for it.  My father has a Winchester 94 in 30-30 I can use and will become mine eventually.  Is there any advantage to the 357 over the 30-30?  I know it can be reamed to 357 max but I don't reload so that isn't an option.  I guess I may be overthinking things since I got a lead on a .357 that may be for sale in my area and that was on my list of wants.
My biggest fear in life is dying and my wife selling my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 05:13:03 PM »
You said short range, .357 would be fun because you can save money and plink with .38 ammo and then sight and hunt with .357 mag.  I think the per shot price would be cheaper than the other 2 guns. And if you are keeping to the short range plan it will kill deer just fine.
But the 30-30 you have will kill em good too....  ::)  Lot of help I am.
Good luck with your delema, if you could save up and get the other barrel I would say try to keep the 30-30 until you know you like the next barrel but that did not sound like an option.
I think all three are excellent short range rifles.   thejanitor

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
Which handi for whitetails
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 05:20:25 PM »
The .357 gains significant velocity in the longer barrels. Google "ballistics by the inch" and look at their data (from actual chrony tests) to see how much. Even when not in the Max, it is a deer killer. If you're looking at short range brush shooting the .357 Talo is a good choice.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline keith44

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 08:31:59 PM »
for up close work I always prefer the larger diameter bore.  So yes I would want the .357 over the 30/30.  If you decide you must sell the 30/30 barrel send me a pm, but with a bit of effort you can usually get a good deal on used Handi's

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 11:42:59 PM »
I agree with the guys, The 357 is roughly equivalent to the 30-30 when fired form a longer rifle tube. Many here used one for deer with very good success this year alone!

Not handloading does not rule out the Maxi as factory loads are avalible from Reeds. PLUS this could pave the way to your reloading!

Truth be told, ANY of the calibers, with propper bullets, will do the job for you.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 12:31:08 AM »
If you can get one I would go with the 7.62x39. Mill ammo has had its issues but amarican made brass cased ammo is available and shoots well. When compaired to the 30-30 and .357 it losses in surface area. That said loaded with 130-150 grain bullets its energy and lack of recoil is a plus if you will be using open sights. Dont get me wrong though they will all work and i have all 3. Wish I had more arms to carry more guns with me when I go hunting. I hate to leave one at home. Good luck on your choice.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 01:45:53 AM »
I say stay with the .30-30.  No extra $ to spend since you already have it.  If you ever reload you can do so much more with the Handi .30-30 then the lever action.  I doubt my .30-30 loads will even cycle through the lever action and you sure wouldn't want those spire point bullets in your magazine.  Bullet weight of either will be about the same so the .30 will have more sectional density then the .357 and keep its velocity up longer when the shot is not that close.  Of course the lure of another barrel or gun is already pulling you.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 01:58:36 AM »
I would go with the .357 and ream it to Maximum.  Sight in and practice with .38s and mags.  Adjust your sights and hunt with the Maxis, which as CW said are available.

I don't know how old you are, but I encourage you to start reloading as soon as possible.  I'm going to give you a somewhat extreme, but very real example using quality components:

Ammo for my .356 is locally priced at 55 bucks a box.  That is 2.75 a shot.

Buying brass and loading a quality bullet and powder the first time costs 1.50 a shot.

If I reload the brass six times, the price drops to 80 cents a shot or 16 bucks a box, a savings of 39.00 a box.

A few boxes loaded pays for the basic equipment.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 03:26:01 AM »
Like you said you have your dads 30-30 you can hunt with and will become yours one day, sounds like you already want the 357 and if you dont get it you may regret it that being said if you got a line on the 7.62 barrel and like that cal. I'm not sure but I havent seen that many around and they still make the 357.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline Hank in Indiana

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 04:12:55 AM »
Forget the rifle and buy a reloading set. Midway has the Lee set on sale for under $100.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 04:27:49 AM »
My choice between the three would be a .357 Mag.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 04:45:05 AM »
I'd stick with the 30-30.  That way you and your Dad use the same shells.  Can be a life saver when you get to your hunting spot and one of you forgot your shells.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline NYRebel13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 05:19:22 AM »
I'd stick with the 30-30.  That way you and your Dad use the same shells.  Can be a life saver when you get to your hunting spot and one of you forgot your shells.

It would be nice to go huting with my dad but I don't think he has gone hunting in over 10 years.  I have been trying to get that gun in my cabinet for a few years.  I had a dream last night that I finally got it so maybe for my birthday next week it'll be mine.  It's nothing special, just a 94 angle eject 20" barrel no safety, but I like to keep that sort of thing in the family.  I just don't want my brother in law to get it, he won't appreciate it like I do.