Author Topic: HuntingGPSMaps  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
HuntingGPSMaps
« on: February 21, 2012, 06:26:34 PM »
I got this in early September of 2011. I was tired of not being able to know the actual area's I could Hunt. The software works only with the Garmin GPS, they actually have a list of the GPS systems that will work with it. $100 per map and you can either down load it or they will send it on a USB Card. Maps can be installed on 2 Computers and 2 GPS systems that you have.

Hunting unit 84 I tested it out extremely well and hated the GPS after a 4 mile hikes through some of the nastiest terrain i've ever been through. Worse, My brother was giving me the dirty look  ;D It was just a horrible hike into new country where i thought some kind of animal may be. Wrong, just dry dusty dirt, half dried up cedar trees and 80* sun beating down on us.

Zoomed out view I use while driving,

Zoomed in just a bit more to get a little better look at things.

Zoomed in a great deal. This isn't the extreme guys. I just was taking some pictures to find my camping spot on the map. This area when zoomed in is nothing but a bunch of lines due to the terrain LOL.

Now back at home i wanted to mark out my Ladder stand, Pond, water tank.food plot area.
Middle of the blue dot is where i am standing and the point to the right is where my ladder stand is.

Small blue dot = Water tank, Bigger blue dot = Pond, Small red dot = Ladder stand, Yellowish line is a section i plan on making into my food plot.

I also have the New Mexico Map which was a HUGE help that September as well due to all of the private land around me. I was hunting near Capulin and the State land is very small and in some areas you have to have this in order to cross safely onto the state land. I got a  small buck on the 4th day hunting with my brother and while we knew the area decently, We ended up getting my buck only a couple hundred yards from the private land marker. Without it, i most likely would have passed on the buck due to not knowing where the property line was.

We've also used the map software to check fence lines and after finding some lines off course by as 300 yards to a 1/4 mile and had the Game and Fish go out there and check the lines. The owners ended up having to move their lines and give some good flat hunting property BACK to the HUNTERS!

You can really run into some jerks out there while hunting or for us one year, we were accused us cutting fire wood on private land instead of Ntl forest property. We knew he was full of BS as the ranger an hour earlier checked our licenses and then said everything was fine, be safe. This again will be handy when those tree huggers come along to give us crap about cutting the trees down and claiming its their land.

Re: HuntingGPSMaps
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 06:46:56 PM »
On a side note, Heres some animals that visit the pond and water tanks during the summer and fall.

These are 4 different bear.

BIG Beast!

The smaller beast

Female - She had a small cub this year.

Another male but smaller..
before,

After,

Shooting Range,

Hopefully my food plot this spring if anything pops up!

A shed my fat puppy found in the back yard. If that deer is still alive and sprouted a couple stickers to measure 1" in length, that deer will have 7 points on just one antler!

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 07:51:01 PM »
Nice bear!

How about telling us about your camera?

Enjoyed the pictures.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 07:12:10 AM »
Oh just a cheapie Wildgame IR4. Its been modified to run off a 6volt battery thats hooked up to a solar panel. It took some real bad pictures when it ran off 4 c-cell batteries, plus i got tired of changing them once a week LOL. The picture of the 3 deer was when i originally got it, you can see the difference as its dark and fuzzy looking, that new battery set up has really helped with the quality.

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 04:07:08 AM »
Great post and pictures!
Thanks!

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 04:35:07 AM »
455  Seems to me a GPS is becoming ever more important for hunting mixed ownership land.  The Forest Service / BLM Maps don't always agree with what I find on the ground.  I got a Garmen (thanks Santa) and am shoping for the aux detailed  land maps.  I think this will open up some hunting country that currently appears to be land-locked.

Oh, and there was the time I got a touch turned around in a blizzard...could have saved me some shoe-leather that day/night.

Silvertp