Author Topic: UPDATE 3/08 Who is looking into the 17Hornady Hornet?  (Read 5503 times)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
UPDATE 3/08 Who is looking into the 17Hornady Hornet?
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:56:44 PM »
Morning guys,
 I have a spare 17 HMR barrel and am strongly considering re chambering to the 17 HH round.

http://www.hornady.com/store/17-Hornet

I know I have read a number of times of guys doing  a CF rechamber of the 17 HMR to a 17 CF as the 17 HH is so new I am assuming it was to 17 Ackley Hornet...

What are your thoughts, is one better then the other?

This is my next project and I am looking forward to your expertice, comments and advice. I do not have allot of experience with the CF 17 calibers...

When the 17 Remington came out one uncle bought it. It was amazing what that little bullet did to a 20# chuck!! You got a tiny tiny entrance hole, NO exit and it's body was a bag of mush.... I wonder how it will be on bigger varmints such as coyotes?

CW

EDIT: In doing some more reading It seems that the 17 Hornady round is a 17 Ackley Hornet. 

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.17_Hornet
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Who is looking into the 17Hornady Hornet?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:34:08 AM »
I'm looking at this caliber long and hard too.  Sounds like you are on the right track.  Hopefully H&R gets the idea soon and offers this.

Offline jeneks84k10

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 02:04:25 AM »
Im fairly interested in this caliber as well. Ive always been interested in the .17 rem but never owned one because of the barrel wear problems.

I think a .17 hornet barrel would complement my .22 hornet rifle quite well.

Offline burdickjp

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 02:51:20 AM »
I'm also very interested!

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 02:57:49 AM »
Just great, ::)  now I gotta get one of those. ;D

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 04:42:09 AM »
I posted on this three weeks ago, here;

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,250806.msg1099464094.html#msg1099464094

I am rechambering two 17 HMR barrels to 17 Hornet (one for me one for my son)... Reamers are on the way.

Quote; "I think a .17 hornet barrel would complement my .22 hornet rifle quite well."

The 17 Hornet will complement your 22 Hornet well... but it complements a .223 Rem even better... the trajectory very closely matches the 55 grain .223 round...  and lots of us shoot .223 Rem's. 

Which is what I am doing with my 17 H conversions... fitting the barrels to my Ultra .223 frame... what a great pair... fun to shoot and "varmint-lethal."

Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 05:29:23 AM »
I could have reamed out a .17 Mach 2 barrel, :( but I was affraid, that the chamber wouldn't be the only thing getting reamed out. ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 05:46:53 AM »
Looks like Wiki is wrong on the Ackley Hornet being the same as the Hornady Hornet, shoulder angle is different, 25º vs 30º.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 06:54:57 AM »
Thanks Tim!

I was looking for those drawings but could not find the Hornady !

I sent a letter to Fred and Colleen to see if they had the reamer.  Pop is literally chomping at the bit to do this. Watching me do the 356 really inspired him. I would not. E suprised if we didn't do two at once!!! He ordered 100 pcs brass, two boxes 25g bullets and 4 boxes loaded ammo!!! LOL

Now I need to find dies....

Hoyt,

I did see your post and it got me thinking!! Pops enthusiasm put me over the edge. Since mom passed not much gets him excited so we will likley move forward pretty quick on this one.
Be sure to up date your post as I for one will be watching!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 07:44:05 AM »
I want a .17 Hornet bad.  The .17HMR just is not enough for me.  Since H&R does not make it, I'll probably buy the first make that comes out with one that I like.  Good trigger, synthetic stock, bolt gun.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 10:14:13 AM »
I want a .17 Hornet bad.  The .17HMR just is not enough for me.  Since H&R does not make it, I'll probably buy the first make that comes out with one that I like.  Good trigger, synthetic stock, bolt gun.

If what I have read is true, its being brought out with Savage. If I had to guiess it would be in the savage single shot M43. It was brought out couple years ago in 22Hornet.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 10:18:18 AM »
Savage will offer the 17HH in their Model 25 Lightweight Varminter.

Tim

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2011/11/09/the-new-hornady-17-hornet/

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 10:28:51 AM »
Savage will offer the 17HH in their Model 25 Lightweight Varminter.

Tim

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2011/11/09/the-new-hornady-17-hornet/

THATS THE ONE TIM!!

I dont know where I got 43....

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 10:37:16 AM »
Looks like Savage is only offering it in the syn version so far, it's the only 17Hornet they list anyway.

Tim

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/25WV

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 01:30:30 PM »
I've been thinking about buying a H&R .17HMR for the barrel then send the receiver in to get a .22LR barrel so the rest won't go to waste. 

I'm going to let you guys be the guinea-pig on this one since I have other irons in the fire at the moment.  I really want a rifle in this round and it's either going to be a Handi or a rework of my BSA Martini...

Tony

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 01:55:10 PM »
I just finished a "D" reamer to the drawings and have reamed a test chamber, just waiting on some loaded ammo to do a reality check before I ream the barrel for real.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline moorepower

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 02:28:36 PM »
I have had my barrel fit since mid December, my reamer is being shipped Thursday. I will have all the fixens to make dies in a couple weeks and bag or brass waiting to be loaded.

Offline moorepower

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 02:31:37 PM »
Looks like Wiki is wrong on the Ackley Hornet being the same as the Hornady Hornet, shoulder angle is different, 25º vs 30º.

Tim

As is often the case with Wiki!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 03:47:20 PM »
I just finished a "D" reamer to the drawings and have reamed a test chamber, just waiting on some loaded ammo to do a reality check before I ream the barrel for real.  Larry

Looking forward to the reports Larry!!!

Quote from: moorepower
I have had my barrel fit since mid December, my reamer is being shipped Thursday. I will have all the fixens to make dies in a couple weeks and bag or brass waiting to be loaded.

I just got a eMail back form Fred at 4D. He says he has the reamer for the 17 Hornet!!!  SO, I still need to find dies. (Guess I need to contact Hornady) and then I'll rent the reamer!!

GREAT INFO GUYS!!  Keep it coming!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 05:33:13 PM »
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 05:34:49 PM »
Yep, Laminated stock, Accutrigger, Detatched Magazine.  That's what I'm going to get.  Don't want a single shot this time.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 05:37:39 PM »
Yep, Laminated stock, Accutrigger, Detatched Magazine.  That's what I'm going to get.  Don't want a single shot this time.

No lams SS this year from the factory anyway.

Tim

Looks like Savage is only offering it in the syn version so far, it's the only 17Hornet they list anyway.

Tim

Offline dorothy daily

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 06:16:45 PM »
just received word that my 17 k hornet in h&r is ready to be picked up. i am also doing one in a contender it will be done in a week. k hornet = 35 degree shoulder. i bought dies used last year all of this before hornady  17 hornet.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 07:29:40 PM »
Tim, I was going by what they have posted on their web site.  They show it with a laminated stock.  If that is not aviilable I'll hold out for stainless as well. 
What Is A Veteran?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 07:44:05 PM »
The link I posted is what's available from Savage, the link showing the laminated SS is a magazine article, unfortunately the only 17 Hornet Savage is offering now are a matte synthetic, blued lam and blued t-hole lam, they don't list any SS version.....yet, hopefully later.  ;) You can use their gun finder by caliber, shows all three version in the M25. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/

Tim

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/25LV

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/25LVT

Offline LedLobber

• Maker of Smokeless Smoke.
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 08:22:31 PM »
Anyone have any ideas what kind of Pressure the Hornady .17 H is generating?
I like BIG Boolits.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 05:48:29 AM »
This pressure lists 17 Hornet(K maybe) as 53kpsi CIP based on the 46kcup CIP.  http://kwk.us/pressures.html

According to Quickload predictions for the 17 Ackley Hornet since the 17HH isn't listed, about 43.5kpsi.

Tim

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 06:17:40 AM »
Well the past couple days, I did allot of looking. It seems everyone is predicting Mid March for supplies and ammo release.

4D has the reamer now. So I'll chop some hornet brass and ream the chambers, then wait for the dies and components.

I really HOPE Hornady is more accurate in these predictions.... There track record isn't so good....
I'm remembering 22 Mag Personal Defence ammo.... If you remember, it was promised since early 2011, I just got my first boxes last month!!!!! Last spring, I spoke directly with Hornady and was all but guaranteed a July 1 delivery at distributors... That did NOT happen!!  :(

>:(
In the mean time I'll be on the hunt for another receiver and set of stocks....  ::)

MAN, ISN'T THIS FUN!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline moorepower

• A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 07:45:24 AM »
Anyone have any ideas what kind of Pressure the Hornady .17 H is generating?

If I recall the .17 HH is 52kpsi.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 08:48:23 AM »
If I recall the .17 HH is 52kpsi.

You're prolly thinking about the 17 Rem which is 52kcup(62kpsi CIP), the QL prediction I ran for the 17 AH is using Lil'gun which will easily provide the 3650fps at less than 43.5kpsi, the 17AH is a ballistic twin to the 17HH, just some very minor differences in dimensions, mainly the shoulder angle. To quote Hornady, the 17HH provides "Less fouling, barrel wear, powder and pressure compared to the 17 Rem".

Tim

http://www.hornady.com/store/17-Hornet

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/saami_pressures.htm