Author Topic: UPDATE 3/08 Who is looking into the 17Hornady Hornet?  (Read 5500 times)

Offline burdickjp

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: UPDATE 3/08 Who is looking into the 17Hornady Hornet?
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2012, 08:01:26 AM »
Walked into dicks sporting goods in Champaign, IL to see what they had in. 223 and saw that they had 9 boxes of. 17 hornet...

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2012, 08:12:27 AM »
Walked into dicks sporting goods in Champaign, IL to see what they had in. 223 and saw that they had 9 boxes of. 17 hornet...

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

WOW that's the first I have here of on a retailers shelf!!!

Thanks for the heads up!

Can you post up the state your in so anyone looking will know where to call?

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
Guys I know this is an old thread but I just made a deal on a .17 HMR barrel with the intention of reaming it to .17 Hornet.  Where did you get the reamer from and if you did it again, would you do it by hand or send it out to be reamed?

Tony

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2012, 07:48:56 PM »
c.w. good luck with your new project keep us in formed. :D

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2012, 01:59:59 AM »
Guys I know this is an old thread but I just made a deal on a .17 HMR barrel with the intention of reaming it to .17 Hornet.  Where did you get the reamer from and if you did it again, would you do it by hand or send it out to be reamed?

Tony

Morning Tony,

I would defeats advise against attempting this by hand. It's quite a bit of material to remove by hand. I did two barrels and both where imperfect. One was shoot able the other not.

Fred @ 4D reamers has them. He is a site sponcer and a heck of a nice guy. His contact info is here I. Banners on the site. Try home page or refresh your browser and a different sponcer will come up.

Thanks ratdog!

So far she has been to the range 3-4 times and has proven to be a accurate shooter. It's a keeper!  I don't know that I'll be reloading it tho... See I bought six boxes and pop bought six boxes of ammo, pops chamber was the one I fouled up.  Now it's a 17 Fireball thanks to our good friend Larry!!!
Pop has had it to the range twice, but only fired it twice... First time he did not have scope sited and second time forgot the ammo.... ::)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline SEK_22Hornet

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2012, 02:29:31 AM »
I think the only way H&R will produce the barrel in 17 Hornet is if we all ask for it.  I have already talked to them once with little positive feedback.  Since that time I have read about a Ruger prototype in the 77H, talked to a dealer that has spoken with a CZ rep who has shot a CZ prototype on the 527 bolt action, and seen actuall listings and prices for the Savage rifles on the internet from dealers claiming to have them in stock.  The caliber seems to be picking up some momentum.  I would be very interested in an H&R barrel for my Buffalo Carbine - as you might guess from my log in handle, I kinda like Hornets (let's see - I have a CZ 527 LUX,  Ruger 77/22H, an H&R 158 with a Mann. stock, a Savage 340, a Sako model P75, and just got my new barrel for my new H&R Buffalo Carbine, all in 22 Hornet).  I have been waiting for a 17 Hornet for years. I'm seriously thinking about reaming the latest barrel to 22 K hornet..... I haven't ran across any used 17 HMR rifles for a donor barrel yet.  Looks like I need to get a floating reamer holder for my lathe, too.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2012, 04:23:51 AM »
Don't hold your breath waiting for a 17HH Handi, they considered the 17 Fireball at one time, Rem makes the ammo and has(had) the tooling since they've made Remingtons already, but a Handi never happened, and that was when we had their eyes and ears on this forum. Considering they discontinued the 22 Hornet and several other offerings in the last few years, I don't see it happening in any time soon.   :(

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,161552.msg1098721760.html#msg1098721760
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2012, 12:19:01 PM »

Morning Tony,

I would defeats advise against attempting this by hand. It's quite a bit of material to remove by hand. I did two barrels and both where imperfect. One was shoot able the other not.

Fred @ 4D reamers has them. He is a site sponcer and a heck of a nice guy. His contact info is here I. Banners on the site. Try home page or refresh your browser and a different sponcer will come up.

Thanks ratdog!

So far she has been to the range 3-4 times and has proven to be a accurate shooter. It's a keeper!  I don't know that I'll be reloading it tho... See I bought six boxes and pop bought six boxes of ammo, pops chamber was the one I fouled up.  Now it's a 17 Fireball thanks to our good friend Larry!!!
Pop has had it to the range twice, but only fired it twice... First time he did not have scope sited and second time forgot the ammo.... ::)

CW

Thanx.  Right now the local gunsmith is on safari and won't be back until early next month.  I'll take the barrel and action to him to be rechambered.  I don't want to risk (censored word) it up since I don't have a friend to recut the chamber for me...  I'll let the smith rent the reamer so it'll be there when he's ready to do the work.

I'm looking forward to hearing from someone forming cases.  The Hornady rounds and ammo are expensive and I will be reloading for this round.

Tony

Offline SEK_22Hornet

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2012, 01:32:20 PM »
I got a reply back from CZ on my inquiry about them offering a 17 Hornet - here it is -

"We just opened up our system to take orders for the .17 Hornets last week. We’ll have an American in sporter weight and a Varmit with heavy weight barrels. Stock numbers 03065 and 03066 respectively."

Looks like I may have to put my new Handi addiction on hiatus for a bit until I can get a CZ paid for..... But I am keeping my eyes open for a bargain on a 17HMR Sportster or at least a barrel...

Dan

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2012, 11:10:13 PM »
The CZs are great shooters , your gonna like it! I have a couple too. A good friend has a bunch all great shooting firearms!

Cw

NRA LIFE Member