Author Topic: UPDATE 3/08 Who is looking into the 17Hornady Hornet?  (Read 5504 times)

Offline LedLobber

• Maker of Smokeless Smoke.
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Who is looking into the 17Hornady Hornet?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2012, 12:04:32 PM »
Thank you Gents! Appreciate the Information!!! :)
I like BIG Boolits.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 07:04:47 AM »
Pop just took a call from a friend of mine working at a gun store... Seems he was on the phone with his distributor and the sales guy asked if he wanted any 17 Hornady ammo he just got in!!!  Pop bought 200 rounds!!!  LOL

If I can find out which dist. has it I will post it here...

I guess I need to call Fred back. ::)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2012, 11:58:57 AM »
Well I should see the reamer near the end of the week.

But today I found a plethora of Handis at a dealer!  ;D ??? He had a couple 45-70's and a 45 Colt Classic... I bought them ALL!!  :-[ :-[ :-[   I only "needed" two receivers. But when I looked at the tag on the 45 Colt and read 250 and that included TWO other barrels... I did not even put it down as I headed to the counter...  ::) ::) ::)

Once home I took pops HMR apart and it was a bit loose on one receiver, but snapped shut with a positive clunk and left the release lever with some play. (I like to see that) I got out my barrel and it snapped shut on the case colored receiver very nicely. Neither barrel fit the third receiver. I would have liked to leave the carbine whole but it did not work that way.

I pulled a scope off my CZ Super Executive 22 RF. I had put it on the test accuracy last year and just left it on as I don't use either very much. I like to keep this scope for testing accuracy. But spending the extra today kinda crimps the "mad money" account. (Read that Momma don't see that $$. But she enjoys the better bottle of wine at dinner, when it pays for it!  ::) ) Any how, I mounted it up on the 17 HMR barrel in Med (I think) Weaver 4X4 extension rings. Because the scope is so long the extension rings allow for a bit more support.

Here she is, first public appearance...  These are the stocks I will be refinishing and leaving "blond"... I was a bit preturbed when I mounted them... I shipped the tang at the frame stock juncture... >:( You can see it in my pic...  >:(

Well I should see the reamer near the end of the week.

But today I found a plethora of Handis at a dealer!  He had a couple 45-70's and a 45 Colt Classic... I bought them ALL!!   I only "needed" two receivers. But when I looked at the tag on the 45 Colt and read 250 and that included TWO other barrels... I did not even put it down as I headed to the counter...

Once home I took pops HMR apart and it was a bit loose on one receiver, but snapped shut with a positive clunk and left the release lever with some play. (I like to see that) I got out my barrel and it snapped shut on the case colored receiver very nicely. Neither barrel fit the third receiver. I would have liked to leave the carbine whole but it did not work that way.

I pulled a scope off my CZ Super Executive 22 RF. I had put it on the test accuracy last year and just left it on as I don't use either very much. I like to keep this scope for testing accuracy. But spending the extra today kinda crimps the "mad money" account. (Read that Momma don't see that $$. But she enjoys the better bottle of wine at dinner, when it pays for it! ) Any how, I mounted it up on the 17 HMR barrel in Med (I think) Weaver 4X4 extension rings. Because the scope is so long the extension rings allow for a bit more support.

Here is her first public picture...  I mounted the set of PW stocks I posted here. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,251346.0.html I will be refinishing them "Blond" as they have some nice "figure"... I was a bit bothered... I chipped the tang when installing them... >:(

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline moorepower

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2012, 02:20:46 PM »
I finally got my chamber reamer today. It is so tight that it won't close on a .001 shim. I have a Weaver V-16 dot scope to go on, with Burris rings. I don't know if it will be plastic off the HMR, pallet or Lamminate stock set of a .25-06 ultra. Photos, it looks like all the other handi rifles. My rougher and the rest of my blank dies should show up next week. I have one loaded round to test function with.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2012, 10:50:09 AM »
I finally got my chamber reamer today. It is so tight that it won't close on a .001 shim. I have a Weaver V-16 dot scope to go on, with Burris rings. I don't know if it will be plastic off the HMR, pallet or Lamminate stock set of a .25-06 ultra. Photos, it looks like all the other handi rifles. My rougher and the rest of my blank dies should show up next week. I have one loaded round to test function with.

I don't even have a single round!!

BUT I too have the reamer!!

Tomorrow or later tonight I'll start reaming!!  Got two to do!

Have you reamed yours yet?

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 04:24:57 AM »
I started brite and early thisAM... two hours + for the first chamber. I even got blisters to show for my troubles... I still have one more to cut!!!
  This is the most I have had to ream. Inicially, It did not apear to be that much difference between the HMR and the Hornet case, but its a recut from top to bottom. The only thing I did not need to cut was the diameter of the rim cut. I did need to deepen it about .015 from how the HMR was cut.

Its chambered... Last a test fire...

Now we just need BULLETS!!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline moorepower

• A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 05:06:08 AM »
How far in before your pilot hits the bore. I wish my lathe was not down!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 05:17:36 AM »
How far in before your pilot hits the bore. I wish my lathe was not down!
My "lathe" now has blisters...  ::) ;)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 05:48:26 AM »
cw, you are in the advanced stages of the disease ;D

Most people don't order that option on their lathes ::)  BLISTERS ;D 

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 06:01:58 AM »
CW,
  When hand reaming a chamber from top to bottom, how do you ensure it's started straight and concentric to the bore? Does the pilot align it all?

Thanks, Dinny

Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2012, 08:18:14 AM »
CW,
  When hand reaming a chamber from top to bottom, how do you ensure it's started straight and concentric to the bore? Does the pilot align it all?

Thanks, Dinny

Hello Dinny!

I used a centering quill chucked up in my drill press to start reaming. I only started, cause its a hassle to ream this way... Then I just finished by hand barrel My barrel took closer to three hours...

When the reamer arrived, it was not as sharp as the 356 reamer I had last week. When feeling the top where it doesn't cut, you could feel it was sharper then where the "business end" of the reamer.  BUT it cut just fine.

Then I fired a primer, went "pop" just as it should... It was not perfectly centered as pops was... But I seem to have a couple so aflicted... ::)

I finished up with a stamping... kinda hiccuped on the "T"...

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2012, 09:26:39 AM »
Nice work CW!!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2012, 09:56:46 AM »
Nice work CW!!  ;)

Tim

Thanks Tim... I hope so!!  They will pop primers, but we have no ammo to shoot and no way to make any till the stuff becomes avalible....
Harry Potterfield says march 19th for dies and brass...  ;D

HOPEFULLY, Hornady is more on the ball with this one than they where with the Personal Defence 22mag ammo!!!  ::) :o ;)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2012, 10:39:04 AM »
Cabellas will have it shipped direct to a store in a week, it is avaliable now, I will pick mine up next week.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2012, 10:40:38 AM »
Cabellas will have it shipped direct to a store in a week, it is avaliable now, I will pick mine up next week.  Larry
Ammo Larry??

I'll go right over to there site now!!! THANK YOU!!

CW

EDIT: Dies still not avalible but 4 Boxes ammo are coming! I should have on the 13th!!  ;D ;D ;D
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hornady174-Superformance8482-Varmint-Ammo/1139898.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dsuperformance%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D9%26y%3D4&Ntt=superformance&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products#productChart

I just got off the phone with CS at Cabelas.. This was just released last week. NOT skeduled to be in ANY retail store till April or June. Depending on how and who orders this will determine where it goes. If you want it ORDER NOW! They may not be getting more for a couple months.

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline jrabbit

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2012, 11:25:51 AM »
CW,

I have never re-chambered a rifle but am fairly "handi".   Do you think this would be something a novice should tackle?   I have traded for a 17 HMR, primarily for the barrel and hope to do the same thing you have.  Will the ejector have to be modified or replaced also?

If the re-chamber is off center, can it be chambered for one of the other 17 caliber rounds such as the 17 Remington or the 17 Bee?

Thanks,
JW

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2012, 11:52:28 AM »
CW,

I have never re-chambered a rifle but am fairly "handi".   Do you think this would be something a novice should tackle?   I have traded for a 17 HMR, primarily for the barrel and hope to do the same thing you have.  Will the ejector have to be modified or replaced also?

If the re-chamber is off center, can it be chambered for one of the other 17 caliber rounds such as the 17 Remington or the 17 Bee?

Thanks,
JW

Hello JW!!

Before I did this I would have said YES go for it... But now having done it I would NOT advise it as a first time ream job. Just because you need to cut the full length of the chamber. You really need to center up the reamer at least until the piloet makes it into the barrel. I did that by turning my drill press table vertically, clamping in the barrel and installing a centering quill in the chuck. I did NOT use the drill motor, I use my hands to turn it, but kept it centered by "running" off that quill. Once I got about half way in I switched back to my bench vice and finished the chamber.
If you have this capability, sure you could do it. Its no harder or easier once you overcome keeping it centered.

When I did the 356 Win last week, its reamer dropped in about half way into the 35 Rem chamber. So nothing was needed to keep it centered.

If you did attempt and did foul it up. YES I imagion a GS with a lathe and a larget reamer fo the same caliber like a Bee or a 357 Mag/Max case necked to 17, would clean out your errors. BUT why take the chance, have the GS do the chamber the first time and save the agravations.  ;)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline moorepower

• A Real Regular
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2012, 12:15:54 PM »
Monday about noon, you might just hear a .17HH going boom. I got it chambered today and like Barney Fife, I have one bullet in my pocket to shoot. I still need to polish the chamber, but that won't take long. Next weekend weather permitting, I will see what it will do.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2012, 07:24:01 PM »
Go to the Cabellas web site, they allow it to be ordered, it is shipped direct to the store you want to pick it up in.  It is listed as avaliable now to arrive in the store of your choice in a week. I will tell you when I get mine.   Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline moorepower

• A Real Regular
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2012, 09:12:11 PM »
Midsouth is sending some, and I ordered 2 boxes from Cabelas, which, the main warehouse is a little more than 2 hours drive and my dies and reamer for dies just got billed to my card, so I should have loaded ammo, and possibly handloads to take to shoot.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2012, 02:03:13 AM »
Thanks again Larry!

I ordered four boxes shipped right to the house! Busy week next week I will not get a weekend off till 3/17&18... BUT may sneak in a couple hours during the week for range time!! ;)

Midsouth is sending some, and I ordered 2 boxes from Cabelas, which, the main warehouse is a little more than 2 hours drive and my dies and reamer for dies just got billed to my card, so I should have loaded ammo, and possibly handloads to take to shoot.

Mid south has the dies then? I'll check them out later!

Midway is was supposed to email me when they some in...

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2012, 06:28:15 AM »
Just called MidSouth.

They currently do not have ammo or brass or dies.....

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline moorepower

• A Real Regular
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2012, 07:23:13 AM »
When I ordered the ammo, it said low stock, and after it said on back order, so I will wait and see. I have a little over 100 pieces of brass. Cabelas said it was shipping.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2012, 12:56:37 PM »
When I ordered the ammo, it said low stock, and after it said on back order, so I will wait and see. I have a little over 100 pieces of brass. Cabelas said it was shipping.
Well, Cabelas came thru and my first order of ammo arrived tonight!

Now for the bad news....
 Seems, I egged my chamber.  :-[ :-[  How badly???  Well, I'll know for sure once I see the fired brass... Sufice it to say, its a tiny bit loose side to side and a tiny bit more loose up and down.  :'( :-\ :-[

Good news is, Pops chamber is as it should be. ;)    ::)

Still gonna shoot them tomorrow and see what we get...  :-\

One thing I notice on the ammo and maybe anyone who also has some can comment too... The head is dished!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
Re: UPDATE 3/08 Who is looking into the 17Hornady Hornet?
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
Pop and I hit the range today. BEAUTIFUL March day temps in the mid 60's but LOTS of wind... gusts near 50 mph! The long range guys where drinking coffee and jawin'... Standing around watching us shoot handis!  I think I impressed more than a few.

Anyhow, we arrived a bit late and had to sit around waiting for a cease fire to set target frames. SO, pop loaded a 17 Hornet and shot into the bank...BANG... Opened the gun and there sat the shell... nice and flush with the barrel... Did I ever tell anyone I HATE EJECTORS? Well, it gets better cause this is a 17... my range rod is too large and I did not bring a 17 rod... no one on the line had a 17 rod either.... Pops rifle went back into the case and back into the Jeep...
Then he grabbed mine, loaded a shell and shot it into the bank... BANG... Opened it up and sent a case into the gravel behind the firing line... I picked it up and found I cut a "pretty" chamber... Its not egged visibly but is large visibly. But worst case I am going to be working my brass more than necessary...

I shot it about 20 times, I had a heck of a time seeing them tiny bullets!!  Once I found them I got it centered in a couple shots. First group was about 1/2" at 50 yards. In the first pic, the three together where the first group, the fourth shot was after adjusting for a 100 yard shot. Then coming back and shooting one more at 50. The second pic was 2 shots at 100 yards, again it was real windy so I did not shoot much at 100 yards..

SO It shoots pretty good considering I ham handed the reaming job... :-[   Gonna shoot pops a bit before I deside what to do about it...

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2012, 04:13:22 PM »
Sad to hear about your chamber. Interesting project. I have a 17 HMR barrel I would rather be a Hornet. Won't try it myself though. I'll be keeping an eye on this to see if it may be something for me. Thanks for the info.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2012, 04:39:27 PM »
Send me your worst one and I will turn it into a 17 Rem FB for free.  Larry

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2012, 04:59:31 PM »
That case really doesn't look too bad.  The reamer print shows that it will make a slightly loose chamber no matter how well it is cut.  What you have discovered is that there is a really big difference in how a hole is shaped depending on wheather the reamer is turned in the barrel or the barrel is turned around the reamer.  Doing a straight walled case one thing, getting a good bottle neck case is another.  All and all I would say it looks fairly good.  You really do need to use a lathe to do it proper however.  Larry

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2012, 05:35:24 AM »
What you have discovered is that there is a really big difference in how a hole is shaped depending on wheather the reamer is turned in the barrel or the barrel is turned around the reamer.

I'm real glad you said that Larry!  Answers a lot of questions for me.   ;D

Keep us posted Brie!  that 17HH really has my attention!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2012, 06:21:28 AM »
Well Larry what can I say... Again I am humbled by your generosity. There must be something I can do for you too!

I had a chance to get that case outta pops and although the chamber is tighter, it's actually worse than mine!!!  It appears nearly octagon.... ;(

I'll send a you a PM we can talk later tonight or over the weekend.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Thank you yet again Larry!

CW

NRA LIFE Member