Author Topic: Does your cannone have a name?  (Read 1070 times)

Offline GUNNUT in Iowa

• Trade Count: (0)
Does your cannone have a name?
« on: February 22, 2012, 01:30:36 AM »
I am in the process of building a one-half scale 6 pound field cannon (golf ball bore).  I am thinking about giving it a name.  Did you give your cannon a name?  What is it?

Offline Artilleryman

Re: Does your cannone have a name?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 03:22:37 AM »
No nicknames here, I refer to my artillery pieces by model designation.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 04:48:18 AM »
I named my 4.5" mortar after a former boss - the meanest "5 letter" woman I've ever met.

;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline The Hayman

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 06:47:55 AM »
I have not named my cannon as of yet, but am working on it (she is new here and I barely know her). I was sailor before I was a farmer, and I did read all those historical novels about the British Navy during the age of sail, and I do believe it was a tradition for the gun crews to name their cannon. My favorite name of a naval cannon (from the novels) was "Dead Reckoner".

Offline IvarForkbeard

• Avid Poster
  • Former US Navy BB stacker
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 06:55:02 AM »
Oh I can tell you weren't a cannon cocker or ordie, otherwise you would NEVER call a gun a "Naval Cannon" As soon as it hits it deck of a ship, it's a gun.
Mine are called "The Old Man" for my 30MM, "Driver" for my GB Cohorn, "9 Iron" for my BG carronade, "Putter" for my Cheroot, "Cutie" for my recently made micro GB Cohorn.

I have not named my cannon as of yet, but am working on it (she is new here and I barely know her). I was sailor before I was a farmer, and I did read all those historical novels about the British Navy during the age of sail, and I do believe it was a tradition for the gun crews to name their cannon. My favorite name of a naval cannon (from the novels) was "Dead Reckoner".
Former US Navy, living in West Michigan

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 07:09:02 AM »
My little bronze gun on truck carraige is named "Reaper"
my golf ball mortar is named "Mort"............ have yet to name other cannon....
Oh & My 1911 is named "Rosco"
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 12:14:26 PM »
Many of my French and Spanish cannons have names that were assigned to them long ago.  But it is probably more appropriate to refer to a well-known public collection wherein you will find 13 re-usable cannon names.  This is a brief posting I did a few years back on the CMH forum on that subject:
http://gs19.inmotionhosting.com/~milita8/cmh/member/member.cgi/read/3691

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 02:57:35 PM »
John,

That is a great post, why don't you copy and paste that here...it would be much more useful for our purposes when we search the board.  It would also show up in a Goggle search, it doesn't now.

Offline GUNNUT in Iowa

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 03:52:53 PM »

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 04:28:23 PM »
Interesting background.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
That is a great post, why don't you copy and paste that here...it would be much
more useful for our purposes when we search the board.  It would also show up in
a Goggle search, it doesn't now.

DD, glad you brought up the GB search engine.  Any time I tried to find something using "search" here, the search feature was less than worthless, just time-wasting and frustrating.  I gave up trying to find anything here a couple of years ago.  Are you indicating it has been improved?  If so I'd be glad to give it another chance.

Offline Double D

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 05:09:44 PM »
Yes it has been improved but it is not great. CMH Search engine is not much better.

Better yet GBO pops when you google it. CMH does not.  For example.

Here is a Google search of your 2007 CMH post:  How were French and Spanish cannons named
http://www.google.com/search?q=How+were+French+and+Spanish+cannons+named&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Nothing

Here is a CMH search of "How were French and Spanish cannons named"

http://gs19.inmotionhosting.com/~milita8/cmh/member/member.cgi/index

Here is a google search of EL ALANO
http://www.google.com/search?q=EL+ALANO&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Nothing

Here is a CMH search for  El Alano

http://gs19.inmotionhosting.com/~milita8/cmh/member/member.cgi/index

Here is a google search for this post: Does your cannone have a name.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Does+your+cannone+have+a+name%3F&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#pq=does+your+cannone+have+a+name%3F&hl=en&gs_nf=1&cp=17&gs_id=e&xhr=t&q=Does+your+cannone+have+a+name&pf=p&client=firefox-a&hs=MGl&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&sclient=psy-ab&pbx=1&oq=Does+your+cannone+have+a+name%3F&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=8c901a6978aea7fd&biw=1467&bih=643

Here is a Goggle query of Long Cecil.

http://www.google.com/search?q=long+cecil&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=long+cecil&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=lOl&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&ei=W7ZFT-_ZF6qpiQKGuuyCCQ&start=10&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=8c901a6978aea7fd&biw=1467&bih=643

You have go to page two for the  GBO post.

The software used by CMH is old school and does not contain metatags  and search engine crawler can not find the data in the site. CMH is in serious need of updating and it is a shame it is not done. That site has some incredible information on it and virtually impossible to find, that is why I say copy and paste the info over here so it can be found.

Offline buzz36

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 05:25:40 PM »
no sir i wont coz  i happy way she is
but i can tell you a lot of ball fired out the end had one of my X wives names on it

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 06:47:35 PM »
Oh yea ,they have names ....lots of them ! It all depends on how they are behaving .

Sometimes like in Montana last years she is "oh yea sweet baby" and sometimes if she balking for some darn reason she is called something very differant ! ???
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 08:05:25 PM »
     Mike and I have only named one of the cannon we have built.  After all the trouble we had building our firing replica of the French Paixhans Monster Mortar of 1832 in 2/5 Scale, we decided to call it La Bete (The Beast) from the 1946 movie,  La Belle et La Bete (The Beauty and the Beast).  I remember one comment from our Springtime build in 2009.  It was our sincerest wish to have La Bete and all it's beastly parts out of our small shop designed to make miniatures and up to 1/5 scale seacoast artillery!!

Tracy

La Bete just two days before field testing, needing only a final coat of paint.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline oltom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 12:59:05 AM »
yup.....my 2/3 scale is called "Paris"............cause it makes alotta noise, and is hard to clean up~ ;D
"MORE booze!"

Offline exlimey

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 02:24:14 AM »
We once had problems firing a Gilpin Howitzer at Saratoga National Historic Park back in the 60s so we briefly named it "Congress" because it would,nt work and we could,nt fire it!

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 06:59:39 AM »
TheHMR Howitzer is "Little Blue", (French blue split trail carriage) the Dom GB Dahlgren is "The John J."  The SBR coehorn nerver got a nickname.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 10:42:53 AM »
None of mine have names. Like Artilleryman I refer to them by their model and the scale I built them in.

DD, one way to increase your search effectiveness is to add site:gboreloaded.com in the search box along with your search query. That will limit your search to just the go2gbo domain. Using "El Alano site:gs19.inmotionhosting.com" returned 4 results with the last being what you were looking for.

Offline Double D

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 03:05:34 PM »
None of mine have names. Like Artilleryman I refer to them by their model and the scale I built them in.

DD, one way to increase your search effectiveness is to add site:gboreloaded.com in the search box along with your search query. That will limit your search to just the go2gbo domain. Using "El Alano site:gs19.inmotionhosting.com" returned 4 results with the last being what you were looking for.

That is correct if all you want to do is search jusr GBO