Author Topic: Buying a used 357 Max question  (Read 474 times)

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
Buying a used 357 Max question
« on: February 22, 2012, 11:40:07 AM »

So I stopped at the local gun shop and in the used rack was a Handi with a CBA serial number with a attached tag that read "357 Max."
The guy who is supposed to know about the gun won't be in until tomorrow.  They did tell me the seller left them one shell, I guess to prove it is a Max.  My question is what do you look for when buying a reamed Handi out of the used rack?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Buying a used 357 Max question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:41:11 PM »
Buying a used Handi is covered in detail in the FAQs, see Things to Check When Buying an H&R;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Monteria

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 01:05:10 PM »
A financing option :)

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 01:06:55 PM »

Thanks Tim.  I don't think I phrased my question right.  What do I look for on the reaming job to determine it was done correctly?  Or more specifically, incorrectly?  Do I just look for tool marks or something else? 

Dan

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 04:12:43 PM »

Thanks Tim.  I don't think I phrased my question right.  What do I look for on the reaming job to determine it was done correctly?  Or more specifically, incorrectly?  Do I just look for tool marks or something else? 

Dan
Evening Dan,
I would look at a number of things.. First and foremost what the external condition. 9/10 times a abused gun has seen hard use and may be one you want to pass on...
Second pull off the forend and the barrel. If the barrel is factory to the receiver it will have the last few digits of the receivers SN scratched into the lug. Now if different, its not immediately a problem. It just means someone other than the factory fit the barrel.
Third, How does the barrel fit the receiver? Is that any gaps or looseness when closed? What is the position of the barrel release? There should be no gaps or looseness. The barrel release should have some play in it. If its tight the latch is almost completely closed. Meaning if (when) the barrel latch wears in it may become loose.
Lastly, drop a piece of brass in the chamber. It should sit flush or ever so slightly below flush.

Bast advice is to shoot it. But this is not always possible. Talk with the shops owner, seeing as its a used gun, ask if you could have a week or so to test fire the gun and explain your concerns. If he is willing to allow that and take it back should you have a problem. Go for it. If adamantly refuses maybe walk away. If he is somewhere in the middle and willing to talk and work with you, use your judgment. Maybe ask if he would go shoot it and report back any issues with FTF...

Many if not most of these ream have been done in garages and basements. but again this doesn't at all mean they are wrong or dangerous... Heck I have seen many that where superior to quite a few so called experts. Conversely I have seen a number of hack jobs too... ::)

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline tom548

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (51)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 03:50:58 AM »
In his original post he said it reads "357Max"  with a CBA receiver. I thought he ment it was stamped on the barrel,Did They make Factory 357 Max?

Offline Rodland

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 04:03:31 AM »
The only way I see that a Max reaming could go wrong is if you cut into the rim. Drop a shell in and see if it sets flush with the barrel face.

and , yes they did at one time make a factory max.
My remember'er is broke, but my forgetter is getting better.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 04:36:46 AM »
In his original post he said it reads "357Max"  with a CBA receiver. I thought he ment it was stamped on the barrel,Did They make Factory 357 Max?

As Rodland says, they sure did make a factory Maxi! I have one!!

Thing is a CBA prefix receiver was made after it was discontinued. SO odds are, (based on ops descriptions)this is a re-chamber.
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.