Author Topic: Barrel storage  (Read 772 times)

Offline geartow

• Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Barrel storage
« on: February 22, 2012, 12:20:12 PM »
hoHow are you storing your extra Handi barrels I would like to put something together to hold them safely in the safe .HELP.

Pat
Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Barrel storage
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:36:23 PM »
Try the advanced search, there are several previous discussions on it, select just this forum from the list. I store my barrels on their own frame as a complete rifle!!  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=search;advanced;search=

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,174942.msg1098827762.html#msg1098827762
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 04:16:34 PM »
I made this easy to make rack using "hat pegs" and a couple pieces of #1 Pine... I don't have any barrel's these days... little by little I bought receivers to mount them on. ;;) So now it holds complete rifles, but you get the idea...

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 04:22:39 PM »
That's where all them camo stocks have been going.
I thought someone was hoarding them ;D

Storing them on frames, Good Idea ;)

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 06:35:20 PM »
I just lay them on the top shelf in the safe. CW were are you getting your camo barrels from?
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 12:03:40 AM »
That's where all them camo stocks have been going.
I thought someone was hoarding them ;D

Storing them on frames, Good Idea ;)

He he he... I "only" have 8 sets.... ::)   

Youkon,
 Most right here on our boards. One or two off eBay... I like the looks of wood better ofcoarse, but these are lighter, tad shorter, come with a pretty good pad and are CHEAPER! I have been selling off lam stocks to fund the swaps. I have kept at least one lam stock of each color, so my caufers of lam stocks to sell is dry. ;)
Now with the 17 Hornet... I guess I need another set!!  LOL

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 01:20:02 AM »
I have a pretty limited area, I made a rack that is similar to one for pool cues or fishing rods, It is just two boards, one about a foot above the other, the top board has a 1 3/8 hole cut with a hole saw, the bottom one has a 1" counter sink hole about 1/2" deep  with a little felt pad on the bottom. I stand the barrels on the muzzle end. I can set 6 easily in the space between two studs in the wall.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 08:25:20 AM »
When I store my barrels, I soak a Bore Snake in oil, pull it into the bore and leave it there.  I really don't want rust in the bore.

Cat

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 08:37:24 AM »
When I store my barrels, I soak a Bore Snake in oil, pull it into the bore and leave it there.  I really don't want rust in the bore.

Cat

I've got  a TC muzzleloader with a GM barrel that hasn't been shot since 1995, it was cleaned good and then an Eezox patch run thru the bore, stored in my basement ever since, zero rust in the bore,  it's still shiny new. Use a good protectant like Eezox or Breakfree CLP and you don't need to do anything special to protect your firearms, humidity in my basement has run anywhere from 55-75% depending on the time of year, although I have been running a dehumidifier to keep in around 55% for the last few years.

Tim

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 12:44:44 AM »
i buy the plastic gun cases spray inside with silicon spray lube coat barrels with winchester gun oil and keep them under the bed others are on receivers in safe. works for me. :)

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 01:42:44 AM »
CW, I have four racks made the exact same way, except I put the pegs in at a 45 degree angle to help keep the rifles from falling.  They're called "Shaker Pegs" here.  Three of the racks are here in the house and one is in the Ground Blind which is actually a small cabin.  I only keep guns there when I'm hunting. 

I don't keep spare barrels.  All my Handis are on dedicated frames.  In fact, I just bought another spare frame this morning.  That makes three SB2s and a SB1.  The extra frames make barrel fitting a cinch.

Pete

Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 01:58:54 AM »
"GREAT MINDS" Peter! ;) ::) ;)

Looks great!!! 

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 08:46:40 AM »

I've got  a TC muzzleloader with a GM barrel that hasn't been shot since 1995, it was cleaned good and then an Eezox patch run thru the bore, stored in my basement ever since, zero rust in the bore,  it's still shiny new. Use a good protectant like Eezox or Breakfree CLP and you don't need to do anything special to protect your firearms, humidity in my basement has run anywhere from 55-75% depending on the time of year, although I have been running a dehumidifier to keep in around 55% for the last few years.

Tim

Tim,

Humidity for the last few days has been a bit over 90%, which isn't at all unusual.

Location can make a difference. :)

Cat

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 08:56:38 AM »

Tim

Tim,

Humidity for the last few days has been a bit over 90%, which isn't at all unusual.

Location can make a difference. :)

Cat

Location and humidity level won't make any difference if you use a good protectant as the severe long term tests  show, they even use salt spray.  ;)

Tim

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/corrosion/corrosion.html

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/corrosion/corrosion2.html

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »

Cat

Tim

I agree with Timmy!

http://www.eezox.com/gun-care.html

I remember back in the late '80s a guy came in the gun shop selling this great gun oil that was unbelievable. It was Eezox, I seem to remember him being local to us in Connecticut too. (I see they are in Ohio now)  I have been using it ever since!!! Try it you will like it!

CW

NRA LIFE Member