Author Topic: reloading data needed  (Read 537 times)

Offline Lost Oki

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
reloading data needed
« on: February 22, 2012, 02:55:28 PM »
I have approx 60 180 grain semi jacketed pistol bullets that I want to shoot in my 35 Whelen but cannot find any reloading data for this bullet.  I have found 192 grain cast using 3031 but am hesitant to use due to cast vs copper jacket.  Any help would be appreciated

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: reloading data needed
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 03:24:03 PM »
go to the Hodgdon website and look up their formula for Trail Boss...
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:26:07 PM »
My Lyman manual shows the starting loads for 180 grain versus 200 grain bullets to be about 1.0 grain heavier for the 180's with most powders.  If you are fireforming cases or just plinking I would not hesitate using 200 grain data for this bullet.

Give me the powder you want to use and I will relay Lyman's data for the 180 grain bullet.  As you are probably aware the pistol bullets may be .357 in lieu of the rifle dia of .358.

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 10:32:47 PM »
Send an e-mail to the powder manufacturer of your choice and ask them. I've done that successfully with both Alliant and Accurate, I can't imagine any other powder manufacturer not being able to help you.
GH1 :) 
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 04:33:20 AM »
I would not attempt to push these too fast, unless varmint bullet expansion is called for. ::)

Trail boss is a excellent choice for a plinking or small game loading with this bullet and caliber. It's a bulky powder that takes up alot of volume

I would NOT hesitate  to use recipes listed for other cup and core 180 G bullets. Just start at starting loads.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 10:48:12 AM »
I am assuming that that the pistole bulltes are .357 which is .001 smaller than that the bore of the 35 Wheelen, but they will work. Just use that data for the cloest heaver weight buttle you can find and work from there.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 10:53:18 AM »
hornady list a 180 gr loading .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 11:30:23 AM »
You'll probably find out that the length of the pistol bullet versus the weight against the twist rate will mean that the bullet will have zero accuracy at any yardage. But you can always try it.
34.0 grs SR4759 under a 180gr bullet= 2200'ps. You can always go a lot lower with SR4759. Might try 25.0grs and see where that gets you.
45.0grs IMR4198   "      "     "       "    = 2600'ps This is a max load and I doubt the bullet will make it to 50 yds. You can reduce up to 20% easily but yer on yer own after that.

Offline Lost Oki

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 01:53:02 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Question = I have been on the IIMR reloading page and only rifle bullet info.  Do you think the 192 grain cast data would work ?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 02:20:58 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Question = I have been on the IIMR reloading page and only rifle bullet info.  Do you think the 192 grain cast data would work ?
NO,
 While a apples to apples gives you a IDEA of powder charge, mixing LEAD data with JACKETED data is surely a recipe for problems...

Yours are Jacketed, or half jacketed as per your description... You need jacketed data...
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.