Author Topic: Primer Question  (Read 387 times)

Offline Jarhead63

• Trade Count: (0)
Primer Question
« on: February 23, 2012, 02:49:51 AM »
I have been on a Archery/Selfbow hiatus for about 8 years now decided to drag out all my reloading gear cuz I have the shooting bug again.  The only thing missing from my gear was the powder bushing in my Uniflow powder measurer for .22 - .270.  Pretty good for me!  My question is, What is the shelf life of primers and powder if kept in a climate controlled environment?  I have had all my powder and primers sealed in 60mm mortar cans (Seperately of course) all this time (8 years) in my house were temps have been constant and very little moisture exposure due to the ammo cans.  Most of the powders have never been opened.  What say you folks, do I need to start fresh?  I used to shoot Hi-power service rifle (M1A) and I have a lot of stuff that would be a shame to throw it all away.  So what say you peep's.  Start fresh and chunk it? or load some test samples and close my eyes and hold my breath when I pull the trigger.  :o

“Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?" (Attributed to Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood, June 1918.)

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Primer Question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 03:20:04 AM »
This is a query that gets beat to death.  I'm still loading powder that is from the 50s and 60s.  Powder and primers have an unknown shelf life because none of us have lived long enough to know what it is.  Stored under the conditions you describe, as long as you don't notice any of the tell tale signs of moisture or other contamination as described in every loading manual, I'd be loading and shooting.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 03:29:22 AM »
I've had some primers since the mid 80s I still use with no problem.  Ditto on some powders like the Blue Dot from back when they were in a cardboard container.

Eight years; no problem.

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 06:53:53 AM »
I'm still using H4831 that I bought back in the 1960's. It was powder gleaned from military ammo from WWII. It wasn't called H4831 then, it was just 4831 as IMR had not yet begun making their IMR 4831. It behaves now just as it did when I bought it. Half a century in proper storage doesn't seem to change gunpowder.

Offline Jarhead63

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 02:14:34 PM »
Thats what I thought but just wanted to hear it from other folks.  As far as the topic being "beat to death", I did search and went through about 5 pages of things that weren't relevant to this question.  Was it on page 6,  I don't know I am new here.  However, I appreciate all the info.  I have enough information to carry on.

Thanks fella's!
“Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?" (Attributed to Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood, June 1918.)