Author Topic: Gps coordinates  (Read 1031 times)

Offline fireman 108

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Gps coordinates
« on: February 23, 2012, 11:48:02 AM »
On my detailed fishing map there is gps coords. Who makes a hand held that i can type in long and lat. And use the device to locate the se fishing hot spots

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Gps coordinates
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:14:35 AM »
All of them will!...The beauty of the hand held unit is that you can also use the "Mark" feature once on top of that hot spot and the unit will automatically create those waypoints, or coordinance for you! You could also use the track back feature while in the field to create a bread crumb trail or use PC software and a cable to download the waypoints of your choice directly to your unit.

Please stay tuned as I am just scratching the tip of the iceburg here...Siskiyou or bigblock455 will probably be able to provide you with a more comprehensive beginners guide along with suggesting the right unit at the right price depending on your needs.

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 07:30:43 AM »
 [font=]

Glanceblamm is correct.  Changing coordinates is an easy Menu item on most outdoor GPS units, this can easily be done with fish finders that a built in GPS.  [/font]The path to follow to change coordinates using Garmin Trail and Mapping GPS units is MENU>SETUP>UNITS>HIGHLIGT Position Format on the screen.  I normally use hddd˚mm.mmm’  Most maps now days also have coordinates in UTM UPS.

I also have the Tracks on while fishing.   I have the Tracks menu set in the Auto record option, and the Interval set in Normal.  The unit has Topo U.S. 2008 loaded on it, and it is the selected software when I am fishing most fresh water lakes.  I have selected Green as the Track color.

Now days I use my Garmin 76Cx along with my GPS/Fishfinder when trolling.  If I am setting on the stern of my boat running the small trolling motor the GPS/Fishfinder is out of reach.  I press and hold down the ENTER button for a couple seconds and the Waypoint screen pop-ups up.  The OK at the bottom of the screen is highlighted and I press Enter again and the Waypoint is created.  I can go back and edit it later if needed.

A GPS that floats is not needed until it or you fall into the water.  I started marking fish strikes with my eTrex Legend, and it does not float, years ago, and as I reached for more memory I purchased a 76C (discontinued) and a 76Cx because of memory and they float.  A lot can be said for the smaller eTrex series because they will fit in the front pocket of a shirt.  Of course I have a Layard on mine.  Every once and while I lose something overboard; I need to glue some flotation in the crown of my wide brim hats.

I fish a large reservoir in a long drainage and it is a wind funnel.  Sometimes I have fish hit both rods at the same time.  By the time I get the fish on board, myself re-rigged and turned around I am hundreds of feet from when I got the hookups.

Here is a link of GPS units that float.

http://www.tigergps.com/gpsreceivers.html

Other standard features are best fishing and hunting times, Sun and Moon rise and set times, and phase of the moon for your current location.

When I get home I will download the new waypoints to my Garmin Map Source product so I can visualize the location I got action and the time of day.  I then print out my own fishing map if needed.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline fireman 108

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 09:38:17 AM »
thanks guys I have been figuring things out here on my end. what a great tool this will be when i hit the water