Author Topic: LR primer found in box of Rem SR primers  (Read 616 times)

Offline sirsloop

• Trade Count: (2)
LR primer found in box of Rem SR primers
« on: February 23, 2012, 06:10:30 PM »
I found a single LR primer in a box of 100 tonight... Ever find that?? 

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: LR primer found in box of Rem SR primers
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 10:22:40 AM »
Nope.  But given that a lot of primer boxes sit where doofus' on both sides of the store counter can monkey with 'em I wouldn't be too surprised.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 10:56:31 AM »
I was at a Cabela's one day and the primer counter was a mess.  There were individual primers spilled all over the shelves and boxes open with 100 count sleeves in piles but out of any type of order.  When I saw all of the individual primers laying and rolling around the shelves and the ones that had fallen on the floor, I decided to get away fast and then go tell one of the clerks.  When I finally was able to speak to an employee, I urged him to be wary of the dangers at hand, especially since there were about 100 bottles of powder right next to the primers. 

So, what do you think happened??  Go ahead, guess......

He swept up as many as he could with his hands and just randomly put them in sleeves.  I'm sure that Rem primers were mixed with CCI etc and that small rifles were mixed with small pistol mags, etc. 

Lesson learned:
Never buy primers unless it's from an UNOPENED pack of 1000!!!  If it looks like someone had opened it, don't buy em.

Offline sirsloop

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 02:45:28 PM »
Crazy!  Yeah this was a 1000ct box ordered straight from grafs

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 03:15:36 PM »
How do you tell one kind from another?
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 03:47:41 PM »
Oftentimes the foil covering the priming compound is different colors. I don't believe these colors have been standardized by all makers though. IIRC WW small pistol primers are coded red.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 04:23:11 PM »
Another reason manufacturers proof test firearms before they are released to the public.  No excuse for mixing primers.  Could be human error, automation, robotics, you name it.  I got an erroneous case in a bulk order once.  Sent it back to Winchester and they replied that the manufacturing had been outsources to someone else.  Go figure.  Ammo is a high volume business.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 05:20:10 PM »
I once opened a box of Sierra .244 50 grain varmint bullets and found a car key in the box.  I would have complained but there was 101 bullets in the box.

I think some times workers at these places get bored and do screwy stuff...

Tony

Offline sirsloop

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
Spotted due to a LR primer being a larger diameter, and the foil was red vs green on the rest of them...

Offline ga41

• http://stevehaygood.com
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 05:01:34 PM »
Bought 1000 Rem LR primers a few years back at Bass Pro, Opened them 2 years later to find 1000 Rem LP in the "brick".  Emailed Remington , they promptly fixed the problem with 2000 LR primers

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 02:18:53 PM »
disregard, just a miss read on my part....<><.... ???
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley