Author Topic: source for lead cannon balls 1.875" diameter  (Read 1335 times)

Offline i_r_machinist

• Trade Count: (0)
source for lead cannon balls 1.875" diameter
« on: February 24, 2012, 08:45:35 AM »
I've seen a link on here for a seller of lead and zinc balls, but my search results are not showing such.
Any Help?
i_r_machinist

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
Re: source for lead cannon balls 1.875" diameter
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:12:15 AM »
Pool balls are 1.875"
Why not try those?

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 09:30:44 AM »
Did you look on the Cannon link list for cannon ball suppliers---or how about the group buy link at the top of the classifieds.

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 12:00:58 PM »
camry53 quote:

Pool balls are 1.875"
Why not try those?
   Pool balls are 2.25" nominal diameter.  I think it's the golf balls that are 1.875"...??   

i_r_machinist

armorer 77 sells a GB mold for resonable $...

You might try getting one, getting an outdoor cooker/burner, bum/buy surplus wheel weights and cast your own balls...

Good luck!

GOW

Offline Double D

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 12:34:11 PM »
Golf balls are 1.68 diameter

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 12:35:40 PM »
Golf balls are 1.68" (essentially 1 11/16").  1 7/8" would be a special size as even the smallest standard pool ball is larger than that.  It should be just about as easy to make a 1 7/8" mould as of any other size.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 12:35:57 PM »
camry53 quote:

Pool balls are 1.875"
Why not try those?
   Pool balls are 2.25" nominal diameter.  I think it's the golf balls that are 1.875"...??   

Don't know where I got those dimensions from but I was way off!! Sorry about that.

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 01:03:12 PM »
camry53 quote:

Pool balls are 1.875"
Why not try those?

Don't know where I got those dimensions from but I was way off!! Sorry about that.
It turns out I was only partly wrong. They do make the smaller 1.875" pool balls for use on those small coin-operated pool tables you see in bars.

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 04:08:38 PM »
I know I asked Ed (armorer77) about using his radius cutter to do a pool ball mold for me.  He gave me a rather long lead time and in the meantime I bought a radius cutter for my SouthBend 13x52 lathe.  I'll also bet GGaskill has one and either he or Ed would probably be willing to turn a mold for 1.875" balls and you could again go with casting your own.

For me I'm not sure it's wise even with the 3:1 OD to bore/chamber ratio to shoot lead pool balls (the 2.25" larger ones).  Maybe a seacoast mortar with its massive walls is the ticket for the larger Pb PB's.

PM Ed and George and see how they respond...

Again... the best of luck... Pb (lead) balls give lots of pressure and consequently a great roar when exiting the tube.  ;D

GOW

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 06:16:56 PM »
First, it depends on the design of the gun you would shoot these from, then the powder charge.  You can always load lighter and with a coarser grade of powder when using a heavy projectile.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 06:40:27 PM »

Again... the best of luck... Pb (lead) balls give lots of pressure and consequently a great roar when exiting the tube.  ;D

GOW

And great deal more recoil which can tear carriages up.

Heavy lead balls also require much more delicate handling to avoid them being deformed...if you deform one and stick it in the bore you will have a devil of a time extracting it.  .50 Cal  is bad enough extracting, one inch is a bear. I can only imagine a larger. 

If I ever stick another ball,   I will drill and tap the vent and install a grease zerk.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 07:10:59 PM »
You can always cast from harder lead or even linotype.  Much harder to deform from casual contact.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 02:39:52 AM »
The stuck ball I allude to---both were made with wheel weight...hard stuff and still deformed

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 03:04:30 AM »
The stuck ball I allude to---both were made with wheel weight...hard stuff and still deformed

DD,
 Had they been fired before or were they fresh out of the mold.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 04:11:42 AM »
GOW , in my defence , when you ordered I was working 45+ and trying to make cannon stuff . I am laid off for a while now . Ed

Offline Double D

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 05:09:47 AM »

DD,
 Had they been fired before or were they fresh out of the mold.
Zulu

I never refire lead. I always remelt and recast lead.

They were fresh our of the mould so to speak. Made up during a casting session and put aside for later use. 

About 2 years ago one was dropped  just prior to loading and looked okay and wasn't. 

The other almost 30 years  was in a box with several others and got banged up---that one also was cast in one of those cheap potmetal fishing weight mould and was not gauged before loading...hey all the others before, fit  ;D  :( .  That was also back in the day when I thought Schedule 80 pipe made good cannon barrels...

Most of times when I suggest that folks should not use something or do something it's based on my experience...and usually if I haven't done it for a while, I will do it again just to prove I screwed up before and and can screw up again...

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 02:14:42 PM »
from armorer77

GOW , in my defence , when you ordered I was working 45+ and trying to make cannon stuff . I am laid off for a while now . Ed 
   I would have better waited on you.  Good news: I had an excuse to buy a new tool which (bad news) I still don't have time to use... ::)    Again for all... Ed builds really nice ordnance.  (as do all the other sponsors from what I've read)   GOW

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 07:52:18 PM »
After I cast lead balls and they are cool I always roll them down the barrel of the cannon and back out to make sure they aren't out of round. I haven't had any bad ones yet.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Double D

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 03:03:49 AM »
After I cast lead balls and they are cool I always roll them down the barrel of the cannon and back out to make sure they aren't out of round. I haven't had any bad ones yet.

Yeah that's how they got stuck both times...   :D :D :D :D

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 04:45:11 AM »
I made a ring guage to prevent such occurances .  ;)

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 03:03:26 PM »

An open ended tube with a ID the same as the bore and about three calibers long is a good way to gauge projectiles.  If they get stuck it doesn't take much to knock them out.

Norm
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline i_r_machinist

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 07:36:54 AM »
Balls were not for me. I stumbled upon some re-enactors. That (1.875") seems to be an oddball size. After a little thought, I decided to make the mold myself. Figured it might buy me some goodwill. I cut the mold out of aluminum on my cnc lathe. Their bore is 2", so I dought they will have a sticking problem. I told them that rule of thumb is 1/40th of the bore, but they had their mind set.
That test sleeve does sound like a good idea.
thanks
i_r_machinist
ps. Balls will not be used for re-enactments!

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 07:52:34 AM »
Balls were not for me. I stumbled upon some re-enactors. That (1.875") seems to be an oddball size. After a little thought, I decided to make the mold myself. Figured it might buy me some goodwill. I cut the mold out of aluminum on my cnc lathe. Their bore is 2", so I dought they will have a sticking problem. I told them that rule of thumb is 1/40th of the bore, but they had their mind set.
That test sleeve does sound like a good idea.
thanks
i_r_machinist
ps. Balls will not be used for re-enactments!

Not used for re-enactments?  Why not?  Shooting Yankees for the viewing pleasure of the public is half the fun. ;D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 08:38:26 AM »

An open ended tube with a ID the same as the bore and about three calibers long is a good way to gauge projectiles.  If they get stuck it doesn't take much to knock them out.

Norm

I forgot to mention that the balls should be rolled through not dropped or slid through.  By rolling you pick up the high spots.

Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline i_r_machinist

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 01:51:53 PM »
 Dropped the mold off today. He wanted to pay for the mold but I said I'd catch him next time. Good call on my part. I think I may have a shot at being the armourer for the 2nd Texas Frontier District. I told him my grandfather's grandfather had a CSA tombstone with "Pelham's Mounted Infantry" on it. I think he was about to show me the secret handshake, but he had a customer come in. Oh well, at least I got a good deal on some tires.
Thanks for the replies
have fun
i_r_machinist

PS. I was looking at a photo of a dusk cannon shot he had on his wall. The plume was incredible! I said I had made a lot of night shots and that just didn't look right, way too big for that bore. He said its was if you loaded a bunch of steel wool in the barrel. Anyone else doing this?