Author Topic: Scope for a Contender Carbine?  (Read 417 times)

Offline Neutron

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope for a Contender Carbine?
« on: January 23, 2004, 04:11:21 PM »
Any recomendations for a scope for a contender carbine? Compact verses regular?  I wonder what sized objective starts getting too big and gets in the way of operating the hammer, or causes one to hold their head up to high etc?  I also worry more about holding zero than being able to see in the dark.  I once had a Simmons 44mag, before Blount bought them, and its clarity was great in low light but the zero seemed to bounce back and forth some which made me crazy.  Prefer about $200 dollar or less price range.  Thanks
Neutron

Offline Dragon31

• Avid Poster
scope for contender
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 06:48:02 AM »
Nuetron:

If you are going to put the scope on your .357 Max, you might want to consider a fix power Weaver of either 4X or 6X.  they are both relatively inexpensive, and fit on the carbine without looking to much out of place.  The optics are good for the price and they work day-in, day-out.  Rings, mounts and scope covers should run you less than $200.00.  With that combo your set to hunt Whitetailed deer at up to 175 yards anywhere I've ever been.

Offline Robert

Wallmart is now carrying Leuopold's new line 189.00 2-7X33
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 07:02:54 AM »
I haven't tried one, but I looked through the 2-7, and it has the famous Leupold eye relief.  It is a very compact scope.  They also have a 3-9 that is a little bit bigger and 10 bucks more, and a 40 mm or something...but I didn't look at it.  I am waiting for feedback on these scopes.  I also like the Bushnell Elite.  Real nice scope for the money.  I have one w/ Rainguard.  I used it on both hunts last season in very foul weather and it performed flawlessly.
....make it count

Offline Catfish

Scope for a Contender Carbine?
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004, 10:28:21 AM »
At what range are you going to be shooting? and what are you going to be shooting at? I live in Ohio and use nothing larger than a 3 x 9 on any of my varmint rifles. You just don`t need it here. On my 209-50 Encore I have a 2 1/2X Leupold. I have 2-  24X scopes and a 36X scope for load development from the bench. I believe that there are alot more people hurting their shooting by useing to much power than not enough. I have 2 - 2 x 7 Leupolds, 1 is on a .17 AH, which is the gun I carry most in the summer and the other is on a Marlin 39 right now. Excellant choice for groundhogs out to 300 yrds., if you`ll be shooting over 300 the 3 x 9 would be a better choice.

Offline Neutron

scope
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 01:45:40 PM »
Well probably 200 yds is about as far as I would shoot.  Critters are deer, pigs, coyotes most likely.