Author Topic: online once fired brass?  (Read 1376 times)

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
online once fired brass?
« on: February 24, 2012, 09:28:04 PM »
The once fired brass seems to be a cheaper way to go but I just wanted to see if anyone has had any issues with going this route.  I am looking at the 308 win, 22-250, 30-06 and 223 without the crimp primers.   thanks again

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Re: online once fired brass?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:38:12 PM »
 Speaking of handgun brass, which I know does not get the same pressures. I have bought quite a bit of used and some once fired. Never had a problem.

Just make sure you get it from a reliable source.

Lonny

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 10:58:21 PM »
If any of you are shooting 45acp, watch out for the new federal brass, they are using small primers in it. I just went thru about a thousand cases yesterday checking them and found about 7 of the new federal cases. This was all range and people giving me small amounts. Its easy to spot just looking at the primers.

Gun Runner

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 04:38:51 AM »
 There are a bunch of suppliers out there, I personally can't endorse any "business" because all of my purchases have been from private parties, several found here on GB's,  ;)
 If you want it fully prepped you'll pay a little more, I prefer to actually see the primer crimp. This proves to me it is indeed once fired,(1x) and I'll process it myself.

True 1x mimitary surplus brass is just fine. (308-3006-223) Complications can arise if it's been fired through Military Full Auto rifles, many have huge chambers and the brass has expanded alot. That's not a make or break, it just takes extra care to get back to nominal size.  So look for listings that advise it's not been through auto guns if possible.
 Mixed head stamp is a pita too, some folks don't care what it is, I prefer to sort my brass at least into the same maker and in the case of LC brass I'll sort into the same years class.

1x is cheaper and Lake City is some great brass.
found elsewhere

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 05:24:58 AM »
Online once fired brass is far cheaper than buying new but don't overlook alternative sources. A rifle range will usually sell brass and at decent prices. If you can get all the same headstamp, I'd buy it there. Also do not over look a recycling center. I just picked up 1000 rounds of WWC 2011 5.56 brass for $13.75 from a recycling center in San Antonio. It's once fired and appears to be not fired from a full auto. I'd avoid Lake City brass with the headstamp years from 2002 to 2010. Federal was running the plant in those years and the brass is SOFT especially that which is marked NATO. Years prior had Western/Winchester running it and they made some real fine brass.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 02:27:39 AM »
The once fired brass seems to be a cheaper way to go but I just wanted to see if anyone has had any issues with going this route.  I am looking at the 308 win, 22-250, 30-06 and 223 without the crimp primers.

I've bought once fired brass frequently and have had no issues but I'm also fairly picky as to the source I'm buying from.  With certain cases, such as with the crimped primers, or cases with the colored sealer around the primer you can tell what is once fired.  For some cases, it would be pretty difficult to tell if they were once fired so you would have to go on trust.

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 03:38:38 PM »
thanks for all the info.   I will try out some of the online brass places.

Offline tmccray45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 04:41:16 AM »
MAKE SURE YOU KNOW AND TRUST THE SOURCE !!

About five years ago, I bought about 50 25-06 cases off a guy on eBay.   

Advertised as "once-fired", I'm sure he was correct.   When I got it, it was de-primed and shiny as a new penny.   I'm also pretty sure that when he said it was "once-fired", he forgot about the twenty other times it had been used because I started getting head separation after using them about twice.   (I typically load for the minimum load, not the hot-shot speedy load.)

Because I had also purchased 50 new cases and everything was mixed up (new and old), I had to run a metal hook down the case of all of them, looking for the tell-tail valley at the base of the cartridge.   As I found each of the old ones, I hammered the mouth of the case shut and dumped them off in the recycle bin at the range.

I'm sure there are honorable sellers out there, but I have never purchased any "once-fired" brass since.
"Work: The New Retirement"

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 05:42:23 AM »

Advertised as "once-fired", I'm sure he was correct.   When I got it, it was de-primed and shiny as a new penny.   I'm also pretty sure that when he said it was "once-fired", he forgot about the twenty other times it had been used because I started getting head separation after using them about twice.   (I typically load for the minimum load, not the hot-shot speedy load.)

Because I had also purchased 50 new cases and everything was mixed up (new and old), I had to run a metal hook down the case of all of them, looking for the tell-tail valley at the base of the cartridge.   As I found each of the old ones, I hammered the mouth of the case shut and dumped them off in the recycle bin at the range.

I'm sure there are honorable sellers out there, but I have never purchased any "once-fired" brass since.

Some words of wisdom here. Bottle necked cases are not something to buy used. Handgun brass is a totally different story.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 06:21:04 AM »
Just buy your brass here.  In my experience, most people are pretty honest here about what they sell.  If you're not sure, I generally go by their history and how often they are here.  If they're sort of "strays" then you might not trust them as much.  ???

I've got some nice .223 brass if you're interested.....and I can give you it's total history.

Offline Rutin2tin

• Avid Poster
  • "No Gnuws is good Gnuws"~ Gary Gnu
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 01:57:53 PM »

Agreed!!

Pay for new the first time, and enjoy the trouble free performance for perhaps 15 to 20 loadings.  ;)
It is.....what it is...

Offline Czech_too

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 12:11:39 AM »
If I was looking for 1X bottle neck brass for any cartridge which could concievably be used in a semi-auto, I would rather buy new.  My experience has been that it can be a PITA when it comes to resizing and the case life is shorter too.
NRA Life Member
Cruffler
INOA

genealogy, another area of interest

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 02:36:53 PM »
www.brassmanbrass has been great for me. Always been happy with my purchases there.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 06:36:10 PM »
Quote from: Flash
Quote from: tmccray45

Some words of wisdom here. Bottle necked cases are not something to buy used. Handgun brass is a totally different story. 
Words of wisdom YES, but buying once fired isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

However I never buy deprimed or "processed" brass that don't STILL have the fired primer still in them!  To better inspect them!  And to make certain the primer pocket  is still tight and the seller didn't pull the proverbial fast one.  The spent primer still in the pocket no way guarentees thr brass is solid and good to go, but its easier to spot flaws or weaknesses if you you start with a casing that hasn't been deprimed, tumbled, trimmed (to a wrong length?), improperly sized? ..... So when buying a "processed" case it might be real easy for a dishonest seller to cover his trail and rook the buyer!

Plus I don't need to pay for someone else's labor I can do myself!  PREFER to do myself.  ;)   

On Gunbroker.com I've found 1XF Winchester .223's from a police range (minus the primer crimp, nice!), and 1XF Lake City .308's (crimped) that came from a gubmnt auction selling 1XF military brass released for sale!  Both vendors had large quantities of unprocessed brass and guarenteed their cases were once fired.  Upon receipt and inspection it was clearly evident they were once-fired!  AGAIN its not unusual that dishonest [small-time] sellers are often moving smallish quantities and usually easy to spot.

Something I would caution .40S&W shooters, is to be certain about and whether or not you want to buy .40 brass that may have been fired in a Glock .40!  Unless the barrel has been replaced the G22, G23 and other .40 Glocks have [original factory] barrels that DO NOT FULLY SUPPORT the cartridge when it fires, often leaving a weakened bulge in that case!  THEN proceed at your own risk.  ;)

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 07:54:37 PM »
thanks for all the replies on this post also.   I just went with the new brass.  For as little as I shoot and my lack of experience the new brass was probably a better way to go. 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 01:08:52 AM »
probably 80 percent of the brass i buy is once fired. I have got stung a few times buy brass that was tired being sold as once fired and ive ran into a few batches that were apparently shot in overly large chambers that wouldnt size down properly to run in my guns. But overal its tough to beat the price. I shoot enough that if i had to buy new brass for everything id have to sell my house and live in a tent!!
blue lives matter

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 03:39:15 AM »
If shooting at a somewhat popular range, many times I've been given brass from adjacent shooters on the bench.  Once they see that I reload, most ask if I would like their brass.  You wouldn't believe the amount of brass that has been given to me at ranges...and it's all been fresh, out of the box, factory ammo being fired.  There is no question if it's once fired in that case.

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 05:29:07 AM »
That alone would pay for range fee.

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 06:25:35 AM »
It always does for me since I usually end up selling the stuff I don't use.

That alone would pay for range fee.