Author Topic: Replacement of firing pin on a Handi  (Read 484 times)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Replacement of firing pin on a Handi
« on: February 26, 2012, 03:14:36 PM »
I'm sure there is someone who can help me.  I want to replace a firing pin, on a Handi.  Before, I start I figured that I would get as much advice as possible.  How hard is it to do?  Is it as easy as it seems?

By that I mean, the exploded diagram only shows 4 parts that are involved; the firing pin, firing pin spring, release lever, and the release lever and firing pin retaining pin.

Is there something equivalent to Perklo's "Handi-Rifle trigger work" guide, that I can look at before I start?  Are there any tricks that I should know about to use, or pitfalls that I should avoid?  Looking for any and all advice or suggestions.  Thanking everybody in advance.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Replacement of firing pin on a Handi
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 03:55:07 PM »
On a modern Handi with a functioning transfer bar, you have to remove the hammer to replace the firing pin, so you'll need Perklo's info to get to the firing pin which is retained by the short top pin.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 04:28:25 PM »
quick,

I know how to take apart, and reassemble the Handi.  I used Perklo's info when I did it the first time.

The only thing that I haven't done yet is the firing pin removal and replacement.  I've never had a need to do it before.  Assuming that everything is taken apart according to Perklo, except for the firing pin.  How hard is it to disassemble and reassemble the firing pin, and release lever?

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 05:06:18 PM »
If you check Perklo's instructions again you'll see the release lever and barrel latch are on the same pin as the t-bar, get the hammer out and you can get at the firing pin,  knock the very top pin out to the left and remove the FP, be careful not to loose the firing pin and spring when you remove the retaining pin, they might just fly across the room into those unknown places that little parts end up!  :o

Tim

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 04:24:58 AM »
If you check Perklo's instructions again you'll see the release lever and barrel latch are on the same pin as the t-bar, get the hammer out and you can get at the firing pin,  knock the very top pin out to the left and remove the FP, be careful not to loose the firing pin and spring when you remove the retaining pin, they might just fly across the room into those unknown places that little parts end up! :o

Tim
I read that part, just wanted to know if there was anything else I should know about.  You never know with you Handi-Engineers, there are always new tricks up your sleeve, that we can learn.
Regarding losing parts, I learned the hard way, I lost a part from my Glock  :-[ years ago when I was taking it down completely after attending a couple of TR training courses.  I spent a couple of hours looking for it, muttering words.  I swear it was hiding from me, there was no place it could have landed, without being in view.  :P I finally gave up, and ordered a new part.  To this day, I have no idea where it could have went to.  Good thing I had a spare Glock.
Thanks for your help.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 05:21:53 AM »
The FAQs has info for working on firing pin improvements.

Tim