Author Topic: Leupold 2-7 and 3-9 Rifleman/New scopes  (Read 975 times)

Offline Robert

• Trade Count: (0)
Leupold 2-7 and 3-9 Rifleman/New scopes
« on: January 24, 2004, 07:24:56 AM »
Has anybody tried these yet?  I looked at the 2-7.  Very nice clear optics, and the famous Leupold long eye relief.  I would love a report from anyone that has field tested them.  I am also wondering how they do for low light and fogging.
....make it count

Offline Zachary

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 09:40:20 AM »
I have not field tested them yet.  However, from what I have read, heard, and understand, you could do much better with an Elite 3200.  The Rifleman has "friction" adjustments which is just a joke.

Zachary

Offline Catfish

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 10:16:58 AM »
I use only Leupold scopes. I don`t have any of the new ones yet, but I do have a 2 x 7 Vari Xll on a .17 AH and a .22 rimfire. I`ve got several 3 x 9`s on different varment rifles and 1 .30-06, also Vari Xll`s. Leupold is the cheapest scope I will buy, and with their quality I don`t see any need to buy something more expenceve.

Offline Robert

Zachary..I am very pleased with my new Elite 3200 also
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004, 10:27:27 AM »
I bought one for my last hunt.  This is what I would be comparing the Leupold to.  I need another new scope for my Whelen that just arrived.  The Elite has great light gathering, and really stood up to the elements on two of the coldest, rainy-est hunts I have ever been on. I was soaking wet getting in and out of my rig, could barely see through my windshield it was so fogged up, dragged my rifle through thick brush, up and down steep ravines that would be tough for a Billy Goat, I even fell a few times, but the scope held up wonderful.
....make it count

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 11:10:11 AM »
I believe you can safely consider the Rifleman series of scopes to be roughly the same as the old Vari-X II line of scopes perhaps with some upgrade of coatings. I doubt they will be noticeably better or worse. That was always a solid line of scopes plenty good enough for most of the hunting a person is likely to do during legal shooting hours. I've never been bothered by the friction lock adjustments as some are. Used them for NRA silhouette shooting for years where I had to change setting for each distance and they worked fine.

Yup the Elite 3200 is superior. No doubt about it.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2004, 11:53:32 AM »
GB, I never understood why the fuss about friction adjustment. I have it on my 3x9EFR and it's not a problem for me. I'm one of those zero it and leave it be types so I realize that helps. I guess that's why "repeatable tracking" is not that important to me. If a zero holds it's good to go for me.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2004, 04:20:56 PM »
Robert, the more recent posts of yours I read the more I see we have in common. (Not sure thats good for you but anyway) First I see you have just received a 35 Whelen AI, and I have one on the way. Then on the subject of optics you bring up the 2X7 power range scope, which I like but for some reason is not that popular. I think I have narrowed my choises down to three. In order of price they are the Nikon 2X7 Monarch, the Bushnell Elite 4200 1.5X6, or maybe the new Leupold 2.5X8 VXIII. I'll just have to see how the money holds up when the rifle is finished and what else grabs my attention between now and then.
On the friction adjustments I have never had problems with the ones on my old Leupold Vari-X III.
BruceP
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline GBO MGMT

• Administrator
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2004, 05:24:01 PM »
I have two of those three. The Bushnell and the Leupold. Love them both. Fine choices.

GB

Offline Weatherby223

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2004, 02:21:43 AM »
I have been using the VX I for quite a while (Which is nearly the same) and find it an excellent scope for the $. People may not like the friction adjustments but i find this just amusing. I cant tell you what they are like in the severe cold but i have used mine in the hottest and dustiest conditions Australia has to offer and knocked the crap out of it a few times but it has never missed a beat. I have another on order at the moment and that says it all i guess.
Mick :lol:
Mick...
Happy Hunting :D

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2004, 03:07:24 PM »
Graybeard, The Leupold that you have is the Vari-X III and not the new replacement for it the VXIII, is that correct? Either way I would like to know how it compares to the Bushnell 4200 as far as brightness and sharpness. I have a Vari-XIII 2.5 X8 that is about 15 years old (and my favorite scope) and a comparison would give me some idea of the 4200. None of the stores around here have a 4200 that I know of and besides I know you don't really get the real world truth when comparing optics in the store.
BruceP
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline gunpilot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 01:02:12 PM »
I LIKE LEUPOLD SCOPES FOR 2 REASONS = LONG EYE RELIEF AND LIGHT WEIGHT.  I JUST WISH THEY WOULD MAKE A 2-7 IN A SILVER FINISH TO MATCH MY PREFERENCE FOR STAINLESS BARRELS.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004, 09:24:14 AM »
Graybeard, The Leupold that you have is the Vari-X III and not the new replacement for it the VXIII, is that correct? Either way I would like to know how it compares to the Bushnell 4200 as far as brightness and sharpness. I have a Vari-XIII 2.5 X8 that is about 15 years old (and my favorite scope) and a comparison would give me some idea of the 4200. None of the stores around here have a 4200 that I know of and besides I know you don't really get the real world truth when comparing optics in the store.
BruceP

Sorry to just now be getting  back to you on this Bruce but I didn't realize you'd posted. Guess it has been awhile since I looked at this thread.

Yes the scope I have is the true Vari-X III line previous to the current VX designations. I'm thinking mine is maybe three years old or so.

I honestly do not think you can make a useful comparison of any differences in it and the Elite 4200s until you have some optical measuring equipment. For the real world use in the field they are equals. True the Bushnell can probably be said to be a tad brighter and maybe even more clear but not by a margin measureable in the field while hunting. Both are excellent choices.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!