Author Topic: Scopes for my 223  (Read 773 times)

Offline Joe S.

• Trade Count: (30)
  • A Real Regular
  • The poisonous mushroom!
Scopes for my 223
« on: February 28, 2012, 06:09:09 AM »
Got a rem 700 in 223. I am looking at scopes before i settle on my tried and true prostaff.

What im wanting is the following:
Min mag: 3-4x
Max mag: 12-16x
Max obj: 44
AO?: no
Side focus: rather not but may
Tube size: 1"-30mm
Reticle: standard duplex
Price range: as close to 160-180 as possible

Im lookin at these 3.  I have heard good things about the kaspa. But not sure I need all the knobs. Vortex is made in USA and has unlimited lifetime warranty. Nikon just rocks.

http://swfa.com/Weaver-4-16x44-Kaspa-Rifle-Scope-P51360.aspx  159.99

http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-12x40-Diamondback-Rifle-Scope-P10825.aspx  189.99

http://swfa.com/Nikon-4-12x40-ProStaff-Riflescope-P48759.aspx  159.99

Also looked at the Sightron SI. Any other recomendations?

At this point im leaning towards the Vortex
Joe S.
Central MS

"An armed society is a polite society."

redistribute work ethic!

Offline burdickjp

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Scopes for my 223
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 06:12:54 AM »
I picked up a Bushnell 3200 10x with mil-dot reticule and milliradian knobs from midway for less than $200.  It reviews VERY well.  I'm waiting on my handi to come in so I can mount the damned thing.

Offline Joe S.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 06:39:06 AM »
Dont think i want a fixed power for this rifle.

And im typically not a bushnell fan. Have had bad luck with all but one ive owned (6 or more) over the years.

Thanks
Joe S.
Central MS

redistribute work ethic!

Offline Joe S.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 05:07:50 PM »
Well i ordered the Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 today. Got it from www.sportoptics.com. Hopefully a range report soon. :)
Joe S.
Central MS

redistribute work ethic!

Offline Joe S.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
What a turn of events! 

After ordering the Vortex i found a Mueller on sale and ordered it with plans for putting it on my 17hmr. Then i got to thinking it may work on my 223...

So the Vortex came in and it was ok, but it wasnt as sharp and clear as i was hoping  must admit i was a little disappointed... Then the Mueller came in and i was amazed at how much clearer (to me, my wife, and best friend) it was than the Vortex. I was surprised. So i ended up buying some 30mm rings for my Leupold base and put the Mueller on the 223. Took it to the range today and sighted it in. Man its nice. Its the All Purpose Tactical scope. Didnt spend any time at any range over 100 yards but its holding zero quite well!!

The Vortex was not a very "forgiving" scope as far as eye relief and positioning goes. It is the diamondback 4-12x40 without the AO. ive never been a fan of the adjustable objectives. In fact ive said on here its a waste of time fooling with them but this scope needs one. It is horribly out of focus at 100 yds and 12x. My friends Prostaff in 4-12 is great. I assumed all would be. Not the case here. I mounted the Vortex on my 7 mag and i couldnt get the scope to stay put at all. It was bouncing all over the place. (it was grouping with the VX2 i took off in favor of the Vortex)

I pulled it off and gave it to a friend for one of his 22s.

Im not writing off Vortex all together but i will say with confidence i wont own another one over 9x without an AO. and i dont imagine i'll own another model less than a Viper for anything besides the rimfires...
Joe S.
Central MS

redistribute work ethic!

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 12:39:08 AM »
Personaly i wouldnt buy a scope over 9x even a high end scope that didnt have an ajustable objective on it. Even one that seems to be clear at long range can have bullet poa problems and my eyes tell me that VERY FEW scopes are actually clear at higher powers when your shooting out at 300 yards unless focused for that range. Take a GOOD scope and look through it at 3 or 400 yards at something with the focuse set on a 100 yards. It may look clear to you but then focus it properly and its like someone gave these tired old eyes readers to look at a magazine..
What a turn of events! 

After ordering the Vortex i found a Mueller on sale and ordered it with plans for putting it on my 17hmr. Then i got to thinking it may work on my 223...

So the Vortex came in and it was ok, but it wasnt as sharp and clear as i was hoping  must admit i was a little disappointed... Then the Mueller came in and i was amazed at how much clearer (to me, my wife, and best friend) it was than the Vortex. I was surprised. So i ended up buying some 30mm rings for my Leupold base and put the Mueller on the 223. Took it to the range today and sighted it in. Man its nice. Its the All Purpose Tactical scope. Didnt spend any time at any range over 100 yards but its holding zero quite well!!

The Vortex was not a very "forgiving" scope as far as eye relief and positioning goes. It is the diamondback 4-12x40 without the AO. ive never been a fan of the adjustable objectives. In fact ive said on here its a waste of time fooling with them but this scope needs one. It is horribly out of focus at 100 yds and 12x. My friends Prostaff in 4-12 is great. I assumed all would be. Not the case here. I mounted the Vortex on my 7 mag and i couldnt get the scope to stay put at all. It was bouncing all over the place. (it was grouping with the VX2 i took off in favor of the Vortex)

I pulled it off and gave it to a friend for one of his 22s.

Im not writing off Vortex all together but i will say with confidence i wont own another one over 9x without an AO. and i dont imagine i'll own another model less than a Viper for anything besides the rimfires...
blue lives matter

Offline Joe S.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 04:43:47 AM »
Before i owned that Vortex id have argued with you that i never noticed. Now i must say that i see what people are talking about. I knew anything 14x and up should as ive personally seen how one out of focus looks at higher power but i figured a 12x would be just on the non-AO side of that line. I now digress.
Joe S.
Central MS

redistribute work ethic!