Author Topic: New(to me) 20 ga. Pardner  (Read 694 times)

Offline upnut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
New(to me) 20 ga. Pardner
« on: February 28, 2012, 10:03:13 AM »
Cruising a small local gun shop, and this one was waiting for me....an older gentleman had just brought it in to sell at a reasonable price, the shop owner passed along the savings. I don't think you can beat a simple, reliable 20 gauge Pardner as a light weight woods running gun... 8) ....It's the second from top, with the schnabel forearm. The top and bottom ones are more specific in their roles, but the Pardners are very.handy in their own way...Enjoy!

Scott B.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: New(to me) 20 ga. Pardner
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 12:25:48 PM »
That's a fine brace of shotguns you have there upnut.  The simple Partners are my favorite guns.  I have a 12 Ga but I will be looking this spring for a 20 very much like yours.  Hoping to find one at a bargain price after season is over.

Offline upnut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 01:56:28 PM »
That's a fine brace of shotguns you have there upnut.  The simple Partners are my favorite guns.  I have a 12 Ga but I will be looking this spring for a 20 very much like yours.  Hoping to find one at a bargain price after season is over.
Thanks! The bottom Pardner has become my favorite for those Long Fall Walks....I really like a light nylon sling with quick attach swivels, it frees up the hands to scratch the dog's ears when he needs it... ;)

Good Luck with your search, Scott B.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 01:14:01 AM »
Trying to see what you have in your hand.  Are you hunting grouse?

Offline upnut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 06:04:50 AM »
Trying to see what you have in your hand.  Are you hunting grouse?

We were hunting grouse and woodcock, usually one quick shot...never feel undergunned with a single shot... 8) ....That is a woodcock we managed to harvest.

Scott B.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 01:28:22 AM »
While we do not have Grouse in Louisiana, we do have woodcock.  Usually see them flush from the small drains in the flat riverbottoms while you're hunting something else.  Is that a light or dark meat bird?  I've never eaten one.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 03:51:08 AM »
Grouse are light meat birds, if your asking about woodcock, they're dark meat birds.

Hunting grouse is crazy, they hold tight and flush when you least expect it.  Sometimes they scare the heck out of you, flushing right at your feet.  To me they're better sport than pheasant.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 08:07:29 AM »
I still remember seeing and hearing my first Partridge (Grouse). I was about 13 or 14 and a friend of the family had taken me ice fishing in his jeep CJ. We had driven out onto the frozen pond and had set the traps. I took a 16 gauge single he had given me to keep at the house and use (I had it on loan for about 2-3 years). The nice guys name was Alton Mackenzie and I would also ride along with him and he let me use the controls for the plow he would mount on the Jeep in the winter to plow driveways and parking lots. Anyway, after the holes were cut using an "ice spud", a big chisel on a long handle made from an old pipe, I took the 16 gauge single, a Stevens IIRC, and started walking the perimeter of the pond on the ice at the edge of the shore. I saw some bird tracks in the powder snow and slowly followed them and could see where they went into a small inlet and ended behind an old stump surrounded by short brush and grass. I could see no tracks on the other side of the stump so I cocked the hammer and SLOOWLY walked up to the stump, all of a sudden, BOOM!!!!, a Partridge rocketed out from behind the stump and took off towards the woods while I stood there with the cocked shotgun in my hands and my mouth wide open. As soon as he disappeared behind some tree trunks I snapped the gun to my shoulder and just kept looking in disbelief. I remember thinking how the heck does anyone shoot these things. I was not even sure what it was but when I returned to the jeep I told Alton about it, he smiled and told me about Partridge and how thier initial flight can really shock you and how you have to be ready. I have never forgotten that day or Alton, and that was almost 55 years ago....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline upnut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 12:33:46 PM »
jpshaw- Woodcock are migratory, spending winters in the places you describe. We should be seeing them any time now on their way back north. I always look forward to hearing their "skydance" mating ritual, it signals spring for us!

OldSchoolRanger- Yes, it's dark meat, almost like liver, about a two-bite bird. Wrapped in bacon skillet fried in butter...mmm! Pheasants= 747's...Grouse= jet fighters!

MSP Ret_ Thanks for the story! A Pointer makes the hunting a little easier, at least that's the plan. The flushes are still quite often memorable...

Scott B.